We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed asap re Waikiki Lodging for June

Elk Grove...
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Advice needed asap re Waikiki Lodging for June

We are needing to book lodging for 12 persons (6 AD and 6 CH) for a week the first week of June. We choose the Waikiki area because we have two young adults and two older kids and thought they would want to be in close proximity to activity. So I have opted for 3 rooms in either the Aston Waikiki Sunset or the Ohana Waikiki Mailia. I initially tried to locate a home or condo but could not find anything suitable within our $600 night budget. I have research both and read the reviews. There is about a total $600 difference in price between the two hotels. The other difference is "kitchenette vs a full kitchen". I am inclined to take the kitchenette and save the money for other activities on the island - thus booking the Ohana Mailia. My concern is that I am missing something.

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,109 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed asap re Waikiki Lodging for June

Wow! You're really cutting this close, timing wise, in trying to arrange accommodations so late.

The Sunset is one of those buildings that houses both hotel rooms and condo units. We have stayed in rented condos twice and were very happy. By going the condo route we got a much better deal on the room price than the hotel route. We also got free parking and avoided the resort fee charged by Aston.

We have no direct experience with the Malia, only having read reviews. The reason we passed on staying there was the small room sizes. - And if you're trying to house 12 people in three rooms, you're going to want all the room you can get!

Good luck~~~~~~~~~~

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,419 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed asap re Waikiki Lodging for June

Little confusing, you may be comparing apples and oranges....

The Waikiki Sunset is a resort-residential condominium project.

It has only one-bedrrom and two-bedroom units (with full kitchens).

The Ohana Waikiki Malia is a hotel, with mostly standard hotel rooms and some one-bedroom suites in the Luana Tower.

If you are thinking of the one-bedroom suites at the Malia, they are recently renovated, are on the quieter side of the building and very much in the "heart of the action", with lots of great places to eat and shop within a couple of blocks. The hotel rooms are also renovated, and are smallish (but since they don't have kitchenettes, I guess you must be talking of the suites, which do).

Not that the Sunset is outlying or anything, just a few blocks further from the center of Waikiki.

The Sunset has better amenities (pool, tennis court, etc) has mostly great views and is near the zoo/park, and the units are larger, residential quality and also recently renovated.

Elk Grove...
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed asap re Waikiki Lodging for June

Thank you for the replies. This helps with my decision. It really didn't start out to be last minute but things happened. I am comparing the 1 bedroom units at Sunset to the 1 bedroom suites at Ohana. I can now weight the extra space, full kitchen and nicer amenities to the cost savings.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed asap re Waikiki Lodging for June

If it was me I would choose the Sunset for the reasons Amberloo listed and also because we like staying at the end of Waikiki.

5. Re: Advice needed asap re Waikiki Lodging for June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 17, 2014