We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfing lessons

Livingston, New...
Level Contributor
214 posts
98 reviews
100 helpful votes
Surfing lessons

We will be in Honolulu next week. Staying in the Embassy Suites Waikiki Beach. My daughter is dying to take a surfing lesson. She really has no experience so we would be looking for a place that would be patient with her. Also, do any of these places rent wetsuits? She wants me to buy her one and I told her absolutely not since I believe that after this trip she will never surf again.

Thank you for your help!

Ty Gurney Surf School
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Function Surf
Inter-Island Surf Shop
Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
12 reviews
21 helpful votes
1. Re: Surfing lessons

Hi, I went with Gone Surfing Hawaii and they were really great, very patient, and really nice. I think all of the companies will include a long sleeved rash guard (ask, but it seemed pretty standard). You might want to get her some board shorts though, but she'll be okay in well fitting bathing suit bottoms if you don't want to buy her board shorts . Really no need for a wet suit, the water is pretty warm.

Baldwin Place, New...
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
7 helpful votes
2. Re: Surfing lessons

I looked on Groupon & then searched the companies they offered on TA to see if they were good...got a great deal with WB Surfing. Locals suggest craigslist. Don't think she'll need a wetsuit...maybe a shortie or rash guard, but once you find your company then you'll know for sure.

Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
7,897 posts
14 reviews
17 helpful votes
3. Re: Surfing lessons

They usually supply rash guards. Reef shoes are a good idea, you can buy them cheap at the ABC. Waikiki is one of the best places in the world to try surfing. Waves are slow, the water is shallow, so you get long slow rides.

I have watched 100s newbies try it an they all stand up and have a great time, do not miss it. Most people just take the lessons off the beach at the surf stands. Go early so it is less crowded, also group lessons are better becasue it gives you time to rest, sign up for a group lesson even if you are a solo. You will also want to buy the pictures so budget for that.

If you are a frist timer, do not try it on your own, you will not catch any waves, and all you will get is very sore arms, the instructors put you in the right spot and keep people out of your way.

Don't miss this, it is what hawaii is about, lots of girls and families out there. Everyone can go

www.alohabeachservices.com

Corona del Mar...
Level Contributor
62,161 posts
442 reviews
775 helpful votes
4. Re: Surfing lessons

Aloha Beach Services is who I would use for surfing lessons.

She won't need a wetsuit.

The time to consider buying a wetsuit is when you head back to NJ, but she won't find surfing at Cape May or Tom's River as easy as surfing at Waikiki, very different kinds of waves. I'd look at Brave New World surf shop in Pt Pleasant Beach. One of my favorite t-shirts is from there as Brave New World is one of my favorite books.

Brave New World also does surf camps and surf schools.

Canada
Level Contributor
263 posts
24 reviews
20 helpful votes
5. Re: Surfing lessons

We used Star Beachboys, they are set up right by the Duke statue. The lesson was great, as a total beginner my husband and I got a private lesson they supplied rash guards. I would recommend this place for an hour lesson to learn basics, then rent the board on your own to practice.

Livingston, New...
Level Contributor
214 posts
98 reviews
100 helpful votes
6. Re: Surfing lessons

Thank you to everyone. I will be able to do my homework before we leave. She does have board shorts, maybe I will look into the reef shoes before we leave.

Scottca075, thank you for the tip about Brave New World. We will have to check it out. We are only about an hour from Point Pleasant. I lived there for about a year when I was kid-love it there!

Ames, Iowa
Level Contributor
513 posts
7. Re: Surfing lessons

"Locals suggest craigslist."

Are you saying that locals suggest craigslist for finding surfing lessons? I'm looking for a deal on surfing lessons.

Baldwin Place, New...
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
7 helpful votes
8. Re: Surfing lessons

Yes, that what I had heard from a local AFTER I bought my Groupon for WB Surfing. That locals who live on the island usually don't use the surfing companies the tourists use, but look for an instructor on craigslist.

Corona del Mar...
Level Contributor
62,161 posts
442 reviews
775 helpful votes
9. Re: Surfing lessons

>>>That locals who live on the island usually don't use the surfing companies the tourists use, but look for an instructor on craigslist.<<<

Umm, I've never heard of locals using instructors at all. You learn from a neighbor, friend, older sibling or parent. (which was how I learned)

Livingston, New...
Level Contributor
214 posts
98 reviews
100 helpful votes
10. Re: Surfing lessons

Are there Groupons available for surf lessons? I am a big Groupon purchaser for the NJ/NY area - love it. My husband hates it! Have it on my phone and I can buy anytime/anywhere.