We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Aqua Bamboo, Part 2

Kamloops, BC
Level Contributor
144 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Aqua Bamboo, Part 2

After 5 days of Outrigger Reef, we moved to Aqua Bamboo on Kuhio in order to have a kitchen for healthier eating options.

Day 5: After moving in to the Bamboo (nice, renovated older building, peaceful pool area and friendly staff), took the red trolley line to China Town and wandered. Then to Iolani Palace for an audio tour. Very pleasant and informative. Bought a book "The Golden Cloak" to help me get the kings and queens straight. Enjoyed reading this history throughout the rest of our trip. Caught the trolley back. Dinner: Takeout from Me Korean BBQ. Huge portions and delicious. Enough for dinner and lunch.

Day 6: Waikiki Beach in a.m Green Line Trolley around Diamond Head. Duke's for afternoon drinks. Aqua Bamboo put on a meet and greet around the pool at 4:30, served a delicious tropical punch and some pupus. Spa masseuses gave complimentary mini-massages. We booked for 8:30 p.m. Dinner: Hubby had Hi Steak from Food Pantry. Too rare and chewy. Had our massages at the spa next to the Bamboo pool. Very good massage but high pressure from the owner to buy more services. If not for his manner I might have booked again.

Day 7: Waikiki beach in a.m. Green Line trolley to Aquarium (free tickets with trolley passes). Walked back. Dinner Rock Island Diner in King's Village. Farmer's market night at King's Village; I bought coconut peanut butter from North Shore Goodies. Yum!

Day 8: Breakfast at Lulu's. Good food but not sure about all the hype. Went to the zoo because it was right there and we had free tickets with our trolley passes. Otherwise would have passed. UFC 158 (GSP!) at Round Table Pizza in the afternoon. Really pleased with the food, drinks, service, lots of tv's, and met some nice people. After spending 5 hours there, we stayed in the room that evening. :-)

Day 9: Took Bus 20 to airport to pick up car (booked through discounthawaiicarrentals.com, awesome rate, thank you TA posters). Bishops Museum. LOVED IT. Needed two visits to see it all. Reading The Golden Cloak really heightened my experience here. Off to Costco for mac nuts and candy. Back to room to prepare for Chief's Luau. Chief's Luau takes place at Sea Life Park just past Sandy Beach. It is the newest Luau on the Island. The setting is gorgeous, the Chief is very amusing, and we enjoyed ourselves. Until the rain started, about 2/3 of the way thru. A sprinkle turned into a downpour and they had to cancel the rest of the luau. Get this, we got A FULL REFUND. People could rebook for Wednesday night or get a full refund. I was glad we booked through Expedia. Lisa from Expedia Outrigger handled the refund for us the next day.

Day 10: Hanauma Bay. One of my favorite places on the island. Took a Subway picnic. In the afternoon drove to Kailua and checked out Kailua and Lanikai beaches. Dinner: Me Korean BBQ takeout. Yes, its that good.

Day 11: Drove to Haleiwa, shopped and looked around. Stopped at beaches as we made our way to Turtle Bay Resort. Saw turtles at Turtle Beach. Had the excellent maitais at Turtle Bay Resort pool bar, and lunch. Took our chairs down to the Turtle Bay beach and relaxed. I love this resort and would stay here once they are done with renos. Drove home via the windward coast and stopped briefly at Kualoa Ranch. Took the Pali Hwy and stopped at the Nu'uanu Pali look-out. This was thrilling as I had read about the battle of Nu'uanu in my book and also at the Bishop Museum. Dinner: Chili's. So-so.

Day 12: Late evening flight. Checked out at noon and went to Waikiki beach for the afternoon. Drove up to Tantalus Drive. Amazing views and a relaxing drive. Dinner at Chuck's Cellar - delicious. Off to the airport for a nasty red-eye home.

Thanks for reading my trip report. We did a lot of things but still had time for naps and happy hour just about every day. Aloha!

Mentioned in this post
Kuhio Beach
Kuhio Beach
496 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Iolani Palace
Iolani Palace
4,917 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki Beach
Waikiki Beach
14,802 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
153 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Food Pantry
Food Pantry
396 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Rock Island Cafe
Rock Island Cafe
481 Reviews
Oahu, HI
North Shore
North Shore
1,054 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Round Table Pizza
Round Table Pizza
821 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Costco
Costco
95 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hanauma Bay Tours
Hanauma Bay Tours
1,207 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Lanikai Beach
Lanikai Beach
2,644 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Haleiwa
Haleiwa
Oahu, HI
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
4,792 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Turtle Bay Beach
Turtle Bay Beach
865 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kualoa
Kualoa
3,390 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Bishop Museum
Bishop Museum
2,447 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Chuck's Cellar
Chuck's Cellar
473 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Wollongong...
Level Contributor
302 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Aqua Bamboo, Part 2

Some great information you shared. Glad you had a great trip with some nice relaxation in there too. Enjoyed both parts and once again thanks for sharing.

Bendigo
Level Contributor
958 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Aqua Bamboo, Part 2

Just loved your trip report. We are back in Hawaii this Wednesday and will look up some of your recommendations. Thankyou. Was there a reason you split your holiday between two hotels??

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Bendigo
Level Contributor
958 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Aqua Bamboo, Part 2

Sorry -hit the key before I finished........you moved for the kitchen and I wondered why not for the whole holiday rather than for the last 5t days.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,179 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Aqua Bamboo, Part 2

Aloha,

Mahalo for your report.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Aqua Bamboo, Part 2

Sounds like a very nice trip, thank you for sharing:) Now I want to get my hands on a copy of The Golden Cloak for our visit next week!

Kamloops, BC
Level Contributor
144 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Aqua Bamboo, Part 2

Hi Patti. The Outrigger Reef was a bit of a splurge for us. It was fun to be beachfront for a few days. However, I did like the location of the Bamboo, better.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
21,410 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Aqua Bamboo, Part 2

I, too, find that having some history and sense of the past enhances my visit. We had read about the Nu'uanu Pali before visiting and it truly does impress. Thanks so much for your trip report.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - Aqua Bamboo, Part 2

Liked the report. will look at Aqua bamboo for my next trip.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - Aqua Bamboo, Part 2

Enjoyed your trip report, part 1 and 2. I am going to have to try Me Korean BBQ when we arrive in a week and a half!! Sounded like you had a great trip. Thank you for sharing.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - Aqua Bamboo, Part 2

A nice easy to read report...great, short paragraphs.