We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Outrigger Reef, Aqua Bamboo, 12 days, Part 1

Kamloops, BC
Level Contributor
151 posts
45 reviews
48 helpful votes
Trip Report - Outrigger Reef, Aqua Bamboo, 12 days, Part 1

This was not our first trip to Oahu, but after a year from hell dealing with cancer, surgery, radiation, and early retirement, this was a bucket list trip to "do" Oahu exactly the way I wanted, just me and my husband.

Flew in Friday March 8th at 9 p.m. Plane was 30 minutes late, plus further delays deplaning and waiting for luggage. I had prebooked with King Airport Taxi Shuttle. I see why so many TA posters say to just take a cab... being late gave me anxieties, the driver barely spoke english and was clearly annoyed at our lateness AND a horrible driver to boot. Arrived at Outrigger Reef rather frazzled. Hit the nearest ABC store for a few supplies (i.e, adult beverages), had a quick meal at Denny's (it was almost midnight) and hit the sack.

Day 1: Got acquainted with the Outrigger Reef and our Partial Ocean View Room. I was happy with the size and layout, bed was nice, and we were over the pool but closer to the outdoor bar and grill. Hooked up our laptop on the desk, secured important stuff in the safe and we were good to go for the next 5 days. Walked to the Royal Hawaiian Center to pick up our Trolley tickets (one week pass). Enjoyed the pool in the afternoon. PF Chang's for dinner.

Day 2: Attended Expedia's welcome breakfast at the Shorebird. Signed up for a couple of tours: Pearl Harbor and City Tour 3A, and Chief's Luau (self-drive). We are not typically "tour" people but since I am still a little physically challenged from surgery, etc, I felt this was a good plan. Same for the trolley tickets. (We booked a car for our last 4 days.) The rain started after breakfast and continued alllll day so we (and half of Waikiki) took the pink trolley to Ala Moana Mall and I had some retail therapy. Lunch at California Pizza Kitchen, our first time there, the pizza was very good. Afternoon rest and then off to find someplace for dinner. Long lines everywhere, ended up at Jimmy Buffett's at the Beachcomber, which SUCKED. Food, service, drinks, everything. Yuck.

Day 3: Waikiki Beach all day. Lunch at Hale Koa snack bar. Cheap, but you get what you pay for. More walking and walking in the evening to find dinner, settled on Tanaka of Tokyo at King's Village. Absolutely delicious and excellent service.

Day 4: 5:55 a.m shuttle to Pearl Harbor (Discover Hawaii Tours). Loved our tour guide Judy. Hubby did the Bowfin and we both did the museum and Arizona Memorial. A very powerful and educational experience for me. (I'm more Vietnam Era.) Afterwards Judy took us through historic Honolulu and the National Cemetary of the Pacific. A good overview for future exploring. Got dropped off at 11:30, beeline for Eggs-n-Things on Saratoga. Good and filling with fast service. Less waiting here than the one on Kalakaua. Afternoon at Outrigger pool, dinner at Cheeseburger Waikiki, awesome burger and good service, but grass skirts on guys is just plain wrong.

Day 5: Moving to Aqua Bamboo. To be continued..

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
302 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Trip Report - Outrigger Reef, Aqua Bamboo, 12 days, Part 1

Enjoyed reading part 1 - now moving to part 2. Thanks for sharing.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,272 posts
75 reviews
51 helpful votes
2. Re: Trip Report - Outrigger Reef, Aqua Bamboo, 12 days, Part 1

Enjoying your trip report so far! Looking forward to part 2.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
30,630 posts
3. Re: Trip Report - Outrigger Reef, Aqua Bamboo, 12 days, Part 1

Aloha,

Mahalo for your report

Glad your feeling better

Aloha

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
24,435 posts
265 reviews
171 helpful votes
4. Re: Trip Report - Outrigger Reef, Aqua Bamboo, 12 days, Part 1

So sorry about your year. Hope Oahu has the ability to help you relax and recover. Looking forward to reading more about your trip.

5. Re: Trip Report - Outrigger Reef, Aqua Bamboo, 12 days, Part 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 27, 2014