We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping LA or Honolulu

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping LA or Honolulu

NEED TO KNOW WHICH HAS BETTER SHOPPING LA GARMENT DISTRICT OR HONOLULU?

Spent time at garment district LA but now tossing up whether to just do Honolulu or extend trip to go back to LA arment district.

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,386 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping LA or Honolulu

LA has better shopping and more variety, but I wouldn't fly back just to shop.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,670 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping LA or Honolulu

"Garment District" means different things to different people. Honolulu doesn't have a "garment district," per se - using the Mainland industrial area term. There is a relatively small outlet mall. And there are some factory outlets around Oahu (my favorite is the Jam's World outlet!).

There is NO way I would spend precious money and time on a trip to LA (yuck) to shop in their garment district! Whatever you think you might "save" - you would lose several times over in transportation costs, taxes, luggage fees, etc.

Honolulu has wonderful, wonderful shopping that your fellow Aussies absolutely adore!

If you are looking for ideas on where to shop - we can help you.

Edited: 11:52 am, March 23, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,684 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping LA or Honolulu

BLBL - Please tell us more about Jams World. Is it, as the title suggests, a world of Jam? Or is it one of those worlds that the name does not relate to what you will find there?

I have made it my lifes journey to visit various worlds around the world. I've been to Seaworld, Dreamworld, Movieworld, Aussie World, Underwater World, Scenic World, Battery World, Sylvania Fruit World and Garage World.

The last three obviously were not as exciting as the others. They did not have any rides, or much to see. But I was there! ;) I visited worlds! I bought fruit!!!! LOL :)

Are there other worlds we can visit, in Hawaii? Are there any lands? We do not have a lot of lands in Australia. I think I have been to a few but for some reason they do not stick in the mind like the worlds do.. I keep driving past TipperLand, but they just sell tip trucks, kinda boring. They had Pizzaland in the UK and I liked that land a lot.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,670 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping LA or Honolulu

http://www.jamsworld.com/

Jam's World are my favorite aloha shirts! Made in Hawaii. Soft, but sturdy, fabric. Great colors. They have dresses as well. You can find them at Macy's, too ... and there are Jam's World shops in the Ward Center and the Royal Hawaiian Center. I would have to call them for the address of the outlet store. I just get there ... because it it next to Lion Coffee!. Sniff, sniff ...

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Royal Hawaiian Center
Royal Hawaiian Center
606 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
69 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping LA or Honolulu

Agree with others that I would not back-track to L.A. Just to shop. You won't be saving anything when you consider added trip cost. Think you will be happier just extending your aloha. :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping LA or Honolulu

Shopping in LA generally is better than Honolulu but if you are referring to the Sante Alley etc Fashion District I would not be bothering for that (personally find it full of cheap tacky stuff). For discount designer shopping in and around Honolulu you can visit Waikele Premium Outlets (much smaller than mainland outlets only 50 stores), Ward Centers for Nordstrom Rack, TJ Maxx etc and of course the Ala Moana center which is a large, very nice mall.

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Waikele Premium Outlets
Waikele Premium Outlets
1,476 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Ala Moana Center
Ala Moana Center
2,592 Reviews
Oahu, HI
7. Re: Shopping LA or Honolulu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 25, 2014