We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much would you bring for 8 days in Oahu??

Los Angeles...
6 posts
Save Topic
How much would you bring for 8 days in Oahu??

Hello I have a 7 year old cousin in Oahu, Im going to meet her for the 1st time. I already booked the flight & hotel. I dont plan on doing anything extravangant Im just going to meet her & hang out with family the only thing that my $ should be going to out there is food, cab to & from hotel to airport, baggage fees, housekeeping, the general expected things. How much would be enough for that in your opinion? THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOU HELP! :)

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
47,752 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much would you bring for 8 days in Oahu??

Generally speaking - IF you are staying on Waikiki - a cab from and to the airport will cost about $35 each way. You can opt for a shuttle. SpeediShuttle (it's like the blue SuperShuttle in LA) you can catch without a reservation. Or you can go on-line and pay in advance for round trip and save a little. Also, Roberts has a good shuttle from and to the airport.

http://speedishuttle.com/

www.robertshawaii.com/airport-shuttle.php

Food costs are extremely difficult to discern, as your options will run from pretty cheap to darn expensive. Bottom line: budget what you would for LA - and you'll be fine. Often its the "drinks" budget that goes wild.

Baggage fees will depend on your airline. If you want to leave a $1 or two for housekeeping each morning, that is nice. A dollar per bag is the norm for the bellman if he takes your luggage to your room.

You will want to shop. You will. And there may be activities that you will join in that will have a cost. I would set aside $50 per day for incidentals/odds and ends/the unexpected. If you don't spend it - great!

Also - familiarize yourself with the public bus system.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
SpeediShuttle
SpeediShuttle
356 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Roberts Hawaii
Roberts Hawaii
1,298 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Seattle
Level Contributor
50,126 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much would you bring for 8 days in Oahu??

Taxi from the airport ~$35 or a shuttle for ~$12, so round trip between $25-75

I eat pretty cheap in Waikiki, so would budget $5-10 breakfast, $5-10 lunch, and $15-30 dinner. So between $25-50 per day for meals.

I tip housekeeping $2-3 per day.

Then maybe $25/day more for "pocket money" to cover The Bus, taxi, a little shopping, admissions (to the zoo, a museum, whatever).

aloha, suze

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Dallas
Level Contributor
26,389 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much would you bring for 8 days in Oahu??

We kind of "budget" $100 a day for eating and spending money, EXCLUDING whatever jewelry or purses my wife has to buy. We generally come in pretty close to that.

Los Angeles...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How much would you bring for 8 days in Oahu??

thanks you guys! All of is really helps! Yea I had planned to bring either $1,200 - $1,500 but was really nervous if that would cut it or not but I know its all on the way I spend it. What kind of things did you guys do while out in oahu?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
47,752 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much would you bring for 8 days in Oahu??

You may want to make it a habit of reading the Oahu Forum daily. There are lots of posts about restaurants, activities ... and trip reports and itineraries as well.

I recommend that you pick up a travel guidebook for the Island of Oahu - and a good map.

Tell us the kinds of things that interest you.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Los Angeles...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How much would you bring for 8 days in Oahu??

Thanks for the tip, Yea ive been semi browsing it for the past week. I go out April 21st. & I mean it would be cool to have stuff to do out there but the trip is mostly about family so Im not even worrying about stuff to do. just the $$$ :)

Seattle
Level Contributor
50,126 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much would you bring for 8 days in Oahu??

When you arrive in Waikiki look on the sidewalks and you'll see dispensers (like for newspapers) with brochures like "101 Things To do" and "Oahu Gold". These have maps, descriptions and photos for all kinds of activities, tours, places of interest.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
47,752 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much would you bring for 8 days in Oahu??

Where are you staying? Do you need restaurant ideas?

It would be good to have some places to go during your time alone. And, if your family tours you around, it would be wise to have a bit of background on Oahu. Hence the guidebook and the map.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Los Angeles...
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How much would you bring for 8 days in Oahu??

I arrive April 21st around 3:30 and then my cousins mom wants to take me to Dukes, I got a balcony room at the Ilikai. My little cousin yea obviously is in school till I think 2:30 or 3 and then I plan to hang out with my other cousin, her dad (they are divorced) some of the day too. Yea I need like cute dinner ideas! its my fiances first time to hawaii its my 5th but all the other times I was little and my family took me. Yea Im deff gunna get some guide books. Im so excited! But yea & then I leave April 27th at 2PM I think.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,068 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How much would you bring for 8 days in Oahu??

Aloha,

Hiking, snorkeling, a catamaran sail, free hula shows, fireworks display, are a few ideas.

The zoo, aquarium, Discovery Center, Teddy Bear World - some ideas of things to do with your little cousin if he/she hasn't already seen them or wants to go again.

Have a wonderful time on Oahu with your ohana.

Aloha

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii