We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Final installment trip report

Waratah, NSW
Level Contributor
245 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Final installment trip report

Day 9 7th March our 20th anniversary. We booked to renew our vows at the Outrigger on the Beach (we were staying at the Reef). We decided to walk along the street so we were not sandy. We both bought cheap shirts and wore our beautifule leis were bought at Aunt Bella's stand.

When we arrived we were wisked off for photos on the beach - so much for the effort not to have sandy feet. The vow renewal is done in Hawaiian there is a copy on the Outrigger website- it is a free service for guests at either hotel. The were only four couples and it is done just in front of dukes near the pools. The ceremony was really nice, we exchanged leis. Thanks to tripadvisor I knew we needed these.

We then had breakfast at Dukes, everyone complimented our leis- I did a lot of advertising for Aunt Bella. Dukes has different variety to the shorebird- probably better choice. But we had a 15-20 min wait and I think the Shorebird has a better view. I imagine it would be very busy during high season. We walked off breakfast by walking up to the HHV and checking out the hotel. We found a path all the way from Fort Derussy. We were still getting compliments for our lei.

This was our last day- we had cash to burn- I put aside money for transport and breakfast and tips. We dropped by Aunt Bellas lei stand to give them feedback, they watered our leis and tolf us to see Uncle Johnny later in the afternoon.

We wandered the international market bought last minute t-shirts, got our free mug from ABC for spending $100 and stocked up on some premixes for that night. We bought a seafood plate at International market to share then headed back for a few hours at the hotel pool. We dropped by Aunt Bella's again and I was given a fresh plumeria bloom for my hair. We chatted at the stand and thanked Uncle Johnny for a beautiful leis.

We spent most of our cash so we needed a budget meal- we went to the food court at the royal hawaiian and spent <$20. There was enough variety to get a nice meal- wish we had found this earlier as we could have eaten some of a our lunches and dinners where we didn't want much. This place is much cleaner than the international market, where I am sure the 3 second rule for dropped food woudl never apply.

We then walked to the beach at the outrigger reef for sunset where we walked down the breakwall and tossed our leis. ( Uncle Johnny told us about the tradition that would bring us back to Hawaii, he also said the cotton was biodegradable and no animals would be harmed.)

We took some photos of our leis drifting together and floating our to sea, was actually took dark to see much. Oh yes we will be back.

We spent our last night sitting on our lanai drinking our premixes and finished packing.

Day 10 was an early rise for 7am pickup by Hawaii23 for the airport. We discovered starbucks opened at 4.30am but decided to eat at airport. There were no delays and quick check in.

We ate at burger king we only $20 cash and were surprised there was no tax, we had about $2.63 left not quite enough to buy a drink my husband cursed me leaving all the change for housekeeping along with our tip.

We had a 10 hour flight then 2 hour drive home, were exhausted but had to pick up DD from work as she finished 11pm. Back at work for second day but still on Hawaii time.

Mahalo to all those that helped plan this holiday. Wil post a seperate post answering questions and summary of highlights.

Mam

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,241 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Final installment trip report

Happy anniversary...what a perfect place to renew your vows - congratulations!!!

Bendigo
Level Contributor
958 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Final installment trip report

Have enjoyed following you through your Hawaiian holiday. No doubt you are already planning your next holiday in Hawaii. We learn so much each time and add to our knowledge to make the next, and next, and next holiday more special.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Perth
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Final installment trip report

Thankyou for posting about your trip, makes me even more excited to get there myself!

Corpus Christi, TX
Level Contributor
974 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Final installment trip report

Can you give details on food court at Royal Hawaiian please. Is that the RH hotel?? It's hard to believe that they would have a food court--but I surely want to visit if they do!! Thanks!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
387 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Final installment trip report

Congratulations on your anniversary!

For JaneB - the food court is in the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center, it's great. Here's a link with the restaurants listed:

royalhawaiiancenter.com/directory/…2138214438

Corpus Christi, TX
Level Contributor
974 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Final installment trip report

Thanks! I'm printing this info out for trip in December!

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Final installment trip report

Lovely report. Our first trip to Oahu was for our 40th anniversary and we've returned (solo and as a couple) six more times. I know you'll return and have as lovely a time.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,689 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Final installment trip report

Thanks for the report, Mam. I always take the flowers off the lei string before tossing them in the water. Turtles and other critters can get caught before that thing degrades.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
406 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Final installment trip report

Sounds lovely, what a beautiful way to renew vows and celebrate turning 50. Thanks for sharing, have really enjoyed reading about your travels.

10. Re: Final installment trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 02, 2014