We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Approx prices for meals/drinks Hawaii?

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
445 posts
8 reviews
6 helpful votes
Approx prices for meals/drinks Hawaii?

Can anyone tell me what sort of prices I would be looking at for meals/drinks in Hawaii - mainly Honolulu, Maui, I know it will vary from buffet to top end restaurant etc but just a rough price range would be good to know so we can work out our budget

Thanks

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
48,045 posts
49 reviews
41 helpful votes
1. Re: Approx prices for meals/drinks Hawaii?

How many are traveling? Two adults? Family with kids? Do you drink alcohol - do you want that included as well? :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
48,045 posts
49 reviews
41 helpful votes
2. Re: Approx prices for meals/drinks Hawaii?

I meant to add this - a very loose approximation for meals - $15 for breakfast, $20 for lunch, and $30 for dinner, though usually dinner is over $100. I would say this is on the low end - you will find some meals cheaper, most more. :)

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
445 posts
8 reviews
6 helpful votes
3. Re: Approx prices for meals/drinks Hawaii?

2 people, we both drink a fair bit on holidays. I noticed an ad for KTA on this website and the alcohol prices are ridiculously cheap compared to OZ (bottle shop anyway). our 700 ml bacard is like $38 here, they have it for $22 for 1.75 litres!! and the Jim Beam 700ml here is $35 compared to $11.

I guess I am wondering what the drink prices in bars/restaurants willl be like in comparison for example a Beam and coke, bacardi and coke costs between $7-9 here depending where you go . The exchange rate at the moment is Parity with the US

http://westhawaiitoday.com/

I know what I will be drinking when I go!! Bacardi here I come

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
445 posts
8 reviews
6 helpful votes
4. Re: Approx prices for meals/drinks Hawaii?

We would probably only really drink at restaurants more than actual bars

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
445 posts
8 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Approx prices for meals/drinks Hawaii?

most importantly I forgot to ask how much cocktails are on average?

Thanks for your help

NORTH CAROLINA
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
16 helpful votes
6. Re: Approx prices for meals/drinks Hawaii?

Buying liquor by the bottle may be cheap but drinks out won't be drinks with top shelf liquor in them cost more than what they call well drinks they use off brand liquor in those.

A Mai Tai at the Royal Hawaiian cost $14 but I'm sure a rum and coke is cheaper probably close to the higher end of what you pay at home.

Plan on buying a couple bottles so you can have some drinks in the room cheaper that way.

As far as it all depends on how much you want to spend there are expensive places to eat at and budget places also.

Edited: 5:18 pm, March 06, 2013
Dallas
Level Contributor
29,245 posts
79 reviews
42 helpful votes
7. Re: Approx prices for meals/drinks Hawaii?

I would say that on average, in the beachside bars in Waikiki, a beer will cost you $6 to $8, and a coctail like a mai-tai or lava flow is probably going to be $10 to $12.

Some happy hours exist at some, but not all of the bars and restaurants.

Meals can range from $15 or so up to OMG !!

We often share a meal and we take advantage of early bird specials and discounts at some places.

Frequently for lunch, we will eat a sandwich or a salad (fruit, pasta or lettuce ) that we buy from ABC stores. Those can be $5 ish for a pretty decent and fresh sandwich, and some of the salads can run slightly more.

Frequently, if we don't share a meal at dinner, we will have left overs that we put in the room fridge and eat for lunch the next day.

You can actually eat fairly cheap if you want. Or you can blow an entire aussie shopping budget.

I can always eat an Egg McMuffin and the wife is just fine with a "Potato Puppie" or whatever McD calles their potato thing, and a glass of OJ.

Of course, you must stop at least a few times for some Haagen Daas ice cream !! LOL

Have a great trip.

Aloha

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
294 posts
42 reviews
56 helpful votes
8. Re: Approx prices for meals/drinks Hawaii?

Look out for happy hours & meal discount vouchers. Eg. Shorebirds bar & grill at the outrigger reef. $3.95 Mai tais 12-5 pm. Local beers like a Longboard are bout $6 I think. Evening cocktail prices average $13 If u eat a meal there keep your docket . It will have a voucher for your next meal. Sharing a meal is fine usually & u can bet portions are ample anywhere u go.

There are other places with discounts etc. We often have the pupu menu where available. Smaller snack like portions that let u walk away from the table with your shorts still done up :)

Enjoy your trip! I'm on 5 weeks countdown ! Yay!

Seattle
Level Contributor
54,959 posts
22 reviews
64 helpful votes
9. Re: Approx prices for meals/drinks Hawaii?

A happy hour mai tai would be a good deal around $6. Honestly mostly I drink on the lanai (balcony/patio) or my own hotel room with supplies from the ABC Store. Skye vodka, fresh pineapple juice, splash of soda water is a favorite.

I eat pretty cheap, so my prices probably aren't typical. I have breakfast at ME Korean BBQ on the patio for around $5-6. Lunch as a picnic on the beach from the nearest ABC Store $5-7. And dinner at a Food Court around $12 (meal only).

That said I'd also happily go some place like Hy's Steak House and easily spend $50+pp on an entree and a drink or two.

suze

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
445 posts
8 reviews
6 helpful votes
10. Re: Approx prices for meals/drinks Hawaii?

Thanks for the info Suze that is very helpful