We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report day 3 and 4 cont plus some more Tips

Waratah, NSW
Level Contributor
245 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report day 3 and 4 cont plus some more Tips

Day 3 Fri 1st March- we slept in -took a while to decide what to do. We enquired re tours at activity desk and booked shuttle for Pearl Harbour and Hanunama Bay. We decided on brunch at Denny remember we are Aus and do not have Dennys. It was OK, cost about the same as all you can eat at the Shorebird. We then booked a sunset cruise on the Mai Tai- got the last 2 available spots. TIP check you vouchor books, I found 2 discounts after paying! We also booked dinner for 8.15 at the Shorebird. The afternoon we took easy. Headed back to room for some cocktails on our balcony. Our sunset cruise on the Mai Tai left from near the Sheraton at 5pm. TIP don't wear jeans your legs get wet boarding and watch the waves- I got wet.

It was very breezy but the Mai Tais soon warmed up everyone. This is mainly a young person booze cruise - but hey the young ones loved our accent. The cruise is popular with stationed military for a friday night out. One of the pax told us these were the best mai tais. We then had a quick change and headed to the beach for fireworks in front of the Outrigger Reef. TIP take the vouchors being given out. We only took one to use for cheap drinks at dinner. Dinner at the shorebird was nice glad we booked there was 1 hour waiting. We had one cheap drink- our server kept asking for more vouchors which we didn't pick up!!

Day 4 Sat We had a shuttle booked http://www.hanaumabaytours.com/

for 9am (we had hangovers too). The service was prompt and the driver gave us a run down as he was driving about the bay the snorkelling, excellent will post a review when I get time. We could have used vouchors too for the shuttle and saved $ remember check!!. This shuttle only allows 8 pax and the snorkelling gear was good.. You get a return time of 12.30 fro a 9 am pick up. It takes abot 1/2 hr to get there then another 3/4 before you hit the bay. TIP put sunblock on the back of your legs, back and bald spots (men). The tide was going out and the seas were choppy - the trade winds. We tried to go out past the main reef but the tide was too low and the swell rough. We are experienced swimmers in the surf and were scared of the being pounded on coral. We heard afew people were rescued. I though I would have to haul a gent in who had a floatation device as he panicked when the waves washed over him. Please only swim out far if you can swim and stay with a partner!! We saw all the fish on our identity card plus an octopus and a turtle. Turtles very hard to see looks like a rock- but his head moved. Tried to show hubby who had swam off then could not find it again.

We came home and went shopping Alo Moana. Used the trolley there and back. What can I say about the shopping centre- I only looked at 10 out of the 250 and hubby had enough. We could not find rest rooms in the food court- so headed home. Queue for trolley is big, they give out boarding passes for a tram load. The wait was at least 20 mins- an express for DFS went first then we got on lucky they only let on the boarding pass holders first.

TIP leave hubby at home or at a bar if you want to browse.

We tried a few resturants to get into for dinner all had huge waits- so we did Dennys again. Not gourmet but we had eaten and back in our room before we would have even got served at the other resturants. TIP book dinner early morning

Mentioned in this post
Denny's
Denny's
1,014 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Mai Tai Bar
Mai Tai Bar
155 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,847 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report day 3 and 4 cont plus some more Tips

Nice trip report ,, can't wait to hear more.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,962 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report day 3 and 4 cont plus some more Tips

Aloha,

Nice tips !

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
302 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report day 3 and 4 cont plus some more Tips

(We dont have accents - hahaaha.)

Great reading. Some useful information, thanks

Brockville, Canada
Level Contributor
666 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report day 3 and 4 cont plus some more Tips

Thanks for the report - looking forward to more...

north east
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report day 3 and 4 cont plus some more Tips

Sounds fun - but think I better skip the booze cruise with the kids :-( - maybe next time without them - we can look forward to it! And hubby can entertain the kids while I shop - or they can entertain him - either way I shop! Lol!

Lou73

Broome, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report day 3 and 4 cont plus some more Tips

cant wait to hear chapter 3. I am heading there in 5 weeks. How do I get these "vouchers"?

Chisago City...
Level Contributor
461 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report day 3 and 4 cont plus some more Tips

I love your tips'especially "leave hubby at home if you want to browse."

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report day 3 and 4 cont plus some more Tips

Great read, yes do tell more about the 'vouchers' we are heading there in sept for the first time with a group of friends :-)

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
755 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report day 3 and 4 cont plus some more Tips

Shorebird has a booklet in the lobby of the Outrigger Reef Hotel.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
406 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report day 3 and 4 cont plus some more Tips

Thanks for the report. think half of Newcastle has been to Hawaii in last 12 months.

I've pre-booked most things so won't want to see how cheap with vouchers lol. I'll keep an eye out or food deals though. My friend and I are doing the Mai Tai fireworks sail. I wore swimmers under a sundress last time I went on a Cat sail. Was a good move. Thankfully no husbands will be there to disturb our shopping!

TA for the tips.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Mai Tai Bar
Mai Tai Bar
155 Reviews
Oahu, HI
;