We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP!! Beachcomber, Ilikai or other?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
HELP!! Beachcomber, Ilikai or other?

I am traveling with my family (hubby and 2 yr old) and our best friends (2 adults & 2 yr old) to Honolulu in June 2013. Need help as to which hotel is best for kids. Would love to stay at Hilton Hawaiian Village but its out of our price range. We normally travel to asia and are finding that many of the hotels in waikiki are old and very outdated. The partner of my friend is very fussy and I am trying to eliminate the 'this is crap' upon check in. I am tossing up between beachcomber and ilikai. Beachcomber for its nice rooms (i think) and location . We would take a Partical ocean view as ive heard reports about the lower floor noise, and would also like a view of the ocean.

However, Ilikai keeps popping up - it does look great value for money and is right next door to Hawaiian Village with that fantastic lagoon out the front for the kids - and possibly could use the hilton's facilities as well? (does anyone know if this is possible?)

All suggestions recommendations or other options would be very greatly appreciated. Ideally we want something that is easy to get to and from the shops, beach and restaurants near by.

many thanks in advance.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
24,765 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: HELP!! Beachcomber, Ilikai or other?

Aloha,

Have not stayed there, but the Beachcomber is located right in the heart of Waikiki.

Aloha

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: HELP!! Beachcomber, Ilikai or other?

Thanks everyone. You have restored my faith in beachcomber. The location is just too hard to beat. Mahalo

Melbourne
Level Contributor
515 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: HELP!! Beachcomber, Ilikai or other?

The beachcomber is right in the heart of everything

It was done up a couple of years ago.

Easy access to the beach as its right across the road via a slip alley.

As you are in the heart of everything it makes it easy to get around with toddlers and others can go out while toddlers have toddler time.

The Cheesecake Factory is right across the road.

Your other option is a city view room at the outrigger Waikiki on the beach.

British Columbia
Level Contributor
321 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: HELP!! Beachcomber, Ilikai or other?

We stayed at the beachcomber last year for a week and i have nothing bad to say about it. It was three adults sharing and we had plenty of room.

Large sink and vanity outside the toilet/shower area, not really a full tub but big enough if you need to bath a kid. Beds were super comfy - decor updated, deck nice a big , we were on the 5th floor facing towards the marketplace and did not hear anything while sleeping - i heard it might be different on lower floors above the bar. Pool was small but nice and a bar with doors open to the pool area - as well as an outdoor eating are i think was the margaritaville.

We paid 190 and worth every penny, literallly walked across the street and through a walkthrough by the royal hawaiian and on the beach in less than 3 minutes (unless caught up on lights) . you are dead centre and close to everything you want.

Edited: 11:04 am, February 23, 2013
Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: HELP!! Beachcomber, Ilikai or other?

I have stayed at both, and really prefer the Beachcomber. As has been mentioned, the location is great if all you want to do is walk. It is a little crowded, but since you have visited Asia, I doubt that's a problem for you.

We found the rooms very comfortable, and enough space. We had connecting rooms as well, which was very convenient as we were travelling with our mothers. When you book, ask for the ocean view rooms on the Kalakaua side. These are not usually listed, they cost a little more, but the view is worth it. You are high up, and noise is no issue. We sat on the lanai every day to enjoy the view, and a drink.

The maids were very friendly, actually, everyone was. We would definitely stay here again.

Take a look at bluehawaiiresorts.com , they usually have very good prices. Also, call them, as you get a better price than what's on-line,

Cheryl

Edited: 6:17 pm, February 23, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: HELP!! Beachcomber, Ilikai or other?

Thank you so much. These were both very helpful

17. Re: HELP!! Beachcomber, Ilikai or other?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 26, 2014