We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo vs. hotel for short stay Waikiki

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
113 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Condo vs. hotel for short stay Waikiki

We need a condo or hotel for 4 nights in Waikiki before we move over to Aulani. In looking at prices/amenities, it seems like the condo rentals are more cost effective, even when including the cleaning fee. Also gives us more space and kitchen to save on food costs along with free parking.

Anybody have experience with Ali'i Beach Rentals?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,116 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo vs. hotel for short stay Waikiki

You hit on some of the advantages of a private condo. Price, free parking, kitchen, etc.

Disadvantages include:

You are at the mercy of the condo owner or small management company to be there with a key. I think you are better off with a small management company like Ali'i Beach Rentals as they have multiple units available. If there is a problem with the unit you reserved, they may have a different unit available though it might be a different location.

If you reserve a condo from an individual owner, you are stuck with that unit.

No daily maid service (sometimes you can if you pay for it).

You are usually stuck with the unit even if there are problems.

Many times 5 or more nights required.

That said, I would consider a private condo.

I do not know anything about the company. But clicked on their site. And at the bottom, the BBB icon. A real good standing with BBB.

Also consider Captain Cook Resorts. I don't know anything about them either except I remember some forum threads that recommended them.

captaincookresorts.com/oahu-condo-vacation-r…

Also try VRBO. Many great deals if you have the time to view the site.

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…waikiki

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo vs. hotel for short stay Waikiki

We like having a kitchen if only to make coffee and breakfast and pack lunches for the day. Besides you have more room in a condo vs a hotel room.

We are spending 9 nights on Maui in june and I found a 2 bedroom 2 bath oceanfront condo for $176 a night no cleaning fee what a deal IMO. I found it thru a on island mgt. company that way if there are any issues I can reach somebody.

We are also doing a overnighter to Oahu in june and I reserved a 1 bedroom at Waikiki Sunset just because we needed the extra space as our daughter and her boyfriend will be with us in june.

I have also seen Captain Cook Resorts recommended quite a bit on here.

Edited: 11:30 pm, February 13, 2013
California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo vs. hotel for short stay Waikiki

On a short stay, there's a break-even point on preparing your own meals.

If you have to buy salt, more eggs than you'll use, ketchup, bread you won't finish, a pound of butter, cooking oil, peanut butter you won't finish, and on and on, preparing your own meals may not amount to such great savings.

On longer trips, it's different. But on a four-day stay, it's not guaranteed you'll save money eating in. You have to plan it well.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
113 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo vs. hotel for short stay Waikiki

I will check out those other companies, but there were some nice untits through the Ali'i rental place.

I am not concerned about any waste of food because after our Waikiki stay we will be going over to Aulani in a one bedroom for a week, so the food will go with us.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,115 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo vs. hotel for short stay Waikiki

Four 4 nights, I sure wouldn't hassle with a condo unless I had a bundle of kids or special needs. You can easily have breakfast in your room - that's no sweat - with having a condo. And at lunch, you may find yourself at any of several locations around the Island. Do you want to eat baloney sandwiches when there is an amazing shrimp truck full of fresh, yummy shrimp?? And as BeacheeMe said - you don't want to buy a bunch of food and toss it.

Personally - using condo kitchens kinda grosses me out -- until I am well-settled in and can clean on my own.

Another alternative is the Embassy Suites. Lots of room and a very nice breakfast each morning.

Seattle
Level Contributor
48,236 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo vs. hotel for short stay Waikiki

I wouldn't bother with a condo rental for only 4 nights myself. Even under the best circumstances, it's more complicated to arrange than staying at a hotel. There's loads of cheap-eats in Waikiki. I also wouldn't bother "cooking" with only 4 days. If you want the kitchen because of trying to save money, you can easily pick up prepared meals and snacks at the Food Pantry, ABC Stores, or one of the Food Courts very reasonably priced.

suze

Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo vs. hotel for short stay Waikiki

There are many hotels in Waikiki Beach after your choice. When I was having a good time there, I used to search for a good one to spend a comfortable & luxurious time.

I can suggest for some hotels where your demand can be fulfilled like Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, The Kahala Hotel & Resort, Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel, Ambassador Hotel Waikiki, Sheraton Waikiki.

So, for more details log on http://hotels.oahu.com/templates/400967

NY
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Condo vs. hotel for short stay Waikiki

I'm doing a very similar thing to what you're asking about. I'm splitting my stay between Aulani & Waikiki (cause I love the Waikiki feel). I found a condo rental on vrbo.com & got a great deal. It's location is close to where I stayed last time, on Beach Walk at Wyndam, which I loved but it's much cheaper. Free parking, internet, local & long distance calls, kitchen, beautiful rooms to choose from... 3 nights is $375 (including taxes & cleaning fees) We're not planning to use the kitchen, my main reason was the free parking & internet, not to mention location & value.

Here's their website:

http://www.waikikiplace.com/default.htm

Here's their post on vrbo.com:

http://www.vrbo.com/226784

Edited: 10:36 am, February 15, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Condo vs. hotel for short stay Waikiki

Watch out for the cleaning fees on condos in Waikikii though. We decided to tack on 3 extra nights at the end of our 7 night timeshare stay at the Ilikai (Waikiki Marina Resort), and I saw that the per night VRBO rentals in the same building were less than the actual Ilikai Hotel rates, but when I looked at the fine print the cleaning fees were like another $175 or so on top of it, so not worth it. I didn't notice a cleaning fee when we were initially planning on staying in a VRBO on the North Shore for the same length of time.

Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Condo vs. hotel for short stay Waikiki

Airbnb.com

The site offers apts, condos, etc. for terrific prices..most with tax & cleaning fees incl.

I would ckout this option first! We and our friends have been happy with using the site..