We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honolulu Trash the Dress Photographers

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
97 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Honolulu Trash the Dress Photographers

I'm getting married where I live, but we're going to Honolulu for our honeymoon.

I'm entertaining the idea of packing up my dress and bringing it so we can do a trash the dress shoot in the tropics.

Does anyone know of a good photographer in Honolulu that does TTD shoots?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,908 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honolulu Trash the Dress Photographers

You are maybe not getting many responses 'cuz none of us old folks know what "Trash the Dress Photographers" means, but I will say Waikiki does a booming business with Japanese brides who get married in Japan and then have photos taken at a whole circuit of spots in Waikiki including the Moana, Royal Hawaiian, the Duke Kahanamoku statue and more.

I'd do a search in Yelp and go from there.

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Trash+the+Dress+Photographers&find_loc=Honolulu%2C+HI&ns=1&ls=90603cb026a38b6f

Copy and paste the link above.

Edited: 12:38 pm, February 05, 2013
Chisago City...
Level Contributor
452 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honolulu Trash the Dress Photographers

Trash the dress means the bride wears her bridal gown and is photographed detroying the dress by jumping in a lake or ocean, rolling in mud, or anything else that leaves the dress dirty and tattered.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
559 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honolulu Trash the Dress Photographers

Make sure you're very careful. I don't remember the location, but within the past year there was a bride who drowned when she was doing that type of photo shoot.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,476 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honolulu Trash the Dress Photographers

Oh for the love of monkeys! Can't you just donate your dress to someone who cannot afford such blatent consumerism?

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,205 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honolulu Trash the Dress Photographers

ddffpp - hehehehe, you just gave me my giggle for the day!

3Chihuahuas

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honolulu Trash the Dress Photographers

lol.... you crack me up ddffpp :)

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honolulu Trash the Dress Photographers

Well... I must say that I have seen pictures where the bride and groom are at the beach... toes (and dress) in the water, romantic sunset behind them... ahhh looks beautiful!

As for me... all I can think of is why didn't they have the "trash the dress" photography back in my day! Instead I paid to have my dress "preserved" so it now sits pretty in a blue box up in my closet waiting for one of my daughters to feel bad about hurting my feelings if she doesn't wear this really dated bridal gown! Oh and my husband went to open the box once to see the dress and I shouted "you can't" it will get ruined... well he looked at me and said how do you know your dress is really in there....

Ummm....

Forget for the love of monkeys.... GO FOR IT!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,617 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honolulu Trash the Dress Photographers

Aloha,

Will you be able to pack your dress and bring it without extra fees? Will you have to pay for it to be pressed? Will it be too hot or heavy to wear here, even for a "trash" shoot?

How about either donating the dress or keeping it.............and buying a nice tropical dress here and doing beach photos in that? Call it the "Honeymoon Shoot".

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
97 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honolulu Trash the Dress Photographers

Ummm... yeah ddffpp.... The expression is "Trash the dress" it doesn't mean you have to ruin the dress.

I've seen trash the dress shoots where the dress is still in perfectly fine shape after. Please lift the rock your hiding under and come out... its a great world out here if you're willing to live a little. Yeeish.

The lady drowned in Montreal (or just outside of Montreal). I'll be careful, but the odds of me getting into a car accident or getting hit by a bus are far more likely than death by wedding gown.

Anyway... thank you for all your love of monkeys and not helpful comments... Still just looking for a photographer.

Edited: 3:31 pm, February 05, 2013
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,696 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honolulu Trash the Dress Photographers

Have you check on The Knot's Hawaii forums?

…theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/l…

I didn't do one of these TTD shoots but know people who did. They didn't really trash their dresses either and cleaned and donated the dresses later. Mine was a sales rack clearance dress for $300 that I donated also.