We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip/Overnight trip to Honolulu

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Longview, WA
Level Contributor
50 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip/Overnight trip to Honolulu

We will be visiting Maui in May and my husband is interested in seeing Pearl Harbor. I looked at the threads and it sounds like it's cheaper to book on our own with car rather than through a tour group for the day.

So my questions are...

Rental Car, is it easy to get around the city and get to the memorial?

Hotel, I was thinking of staying 1night so we are not rushed and we can have 1 night of Oahu night life and see Waikiki Beach. Where is nice , good location and reasonable?

Or will we have enough time to go to memorial and then catch flight?

Thanks!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,919 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip/Overnight trip to Honolulu

Pearl Harbor is rather close to the airport. No problem there. Take an early, early flight from Maui. Reserve your Arizona Memorial tickets in advance.

http://www.nps.gov/valr/index.htm (See "Plan Your Visit" on the left-hand side of the screen.)

Yes, you could just go to PH from the airport and turn around and go back to the airport (in that case, I would use a taxi). BUT - Oahu is a magnificent Island! I would leave Pearl Harbor and head up to the North Shore and around the Island. Gorgeous area! Check into your Waikiki hotel ... reserve dinner at a nice restaurant ... and get up the next morning for a few other sites before flying home.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,734 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip/Overnight trip to Honolulu

Either one would work. You could definitely see Pearl Harbor on a day trip. But if you want to spend the night, any of many hotels in central Waikiki would work.

suze

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip/Overnight trip to Honolulu

We are doing an overnighter to Oahu in june on our trip to Maui. It originally started out a just a day trip but we decided what the heck lets stay one night so we don't have to rush.

This will be our fifth time on Oahu so we know the places we want to go to and eat at. We are staying at the Waikiki Sunset in a 1 bedroom condo for the night.

If you decide to just do a day trip Pearl Harbor is close to the airport about a 15 min. drive.

4. Re: Day trip/Overnight trip to Honolulu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 05, 2014