We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hale Koa & walking vicinity questions

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,663 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Hale Koa & walking vicinity questions

Staying at Hale Koa 3 nights, Aug 20-23. First trip to O‘ahu.

I booked a moderate room, but did not request a particular tower. Should I and which tower?

Definitely want to try Steak Shack, so how to walk over? Is there a beach path/walk either direction from the Hale Koa?

What other cheap eats are a close walk?

How long a walk to Wailana Coffee House?

Can you see the sun sink into the ocean from Hale Koa that time of year?

Thanks!

3Chihuahuas

Delaware
Level Contributor
78 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Hale Koa & walking vicinity questions

Any suggestions between oceanfront in Maile tower and ocean view in Lima tower? I understand there are no oceanfront in the Lima Tower.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,646 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Hale Koa & walking vicinity questions

I have not stayed there.

Looks like the Ilima Tower is closer to the ocean.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/…hale-koa

The Maile Tower is the newer one.

http://www.halekoa.com/about_us/history.cfm

Kailua, Hawaii
3 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Hale Koa & walking vicinity questions

Never heard of "aloha hour" and I have been here five decades. Keneke's is great plate lunch. If you are accustomed to high end/antiseptic insulated mainland dining, of course most any plate lunch place dining area would appear not clean. But it's local style. Run away from it if you don't want to experience Local hawaiian style anything. Down from Kenekes in Nalo town is Serge's mexican food. Really good. They have another restaurant in Manoa. Very cool . it is BYOB. so bring a twelve pack of Corona and a bottle opener.

McCully Sh. Cntr is a long walk from Hale Koa. Cab it. As for close to Hale Koa, just cruise Waiks. You will find eateries of all price ranges. but mostly upper price ranges. The death knell for all budgets including economy dining and/or reasonable was the redevelopment (total destruction) of Lewers Street, It now resembles anytown City Street mainland You Ess of Ay. Looks like the froufrou area of Wilshire. The Waikiki Improvement ASSociation and politicians are making Waikiki a for-the-rich only playground. "the powers that be" have it in mind to decimate fully, any and all reasonably priced dining and lodging options.

On Lewers, about the only place I hit frequently (for Lewers now, about once every two years) is The Yard House. Another corporate mainland presence. I love sitting at the bar in front of alll those dozens of beer taps. And watching the fights. Haole families grumpily fighting for the next available table, pushing other families outta their way. hahaaa. what fun.

There is the Cheesecake factory makai of the International MarketPlace which you should visit wikiwiki, because talk again this will be torn down for even more modern upscale shopping choices. Cheesecake factory features an amazing attraction; Crowds of tourons (who apparently en masse eschew local dining experiences) waiting for an hour or two, for a table at a restaurant that they can dine at in their own home town. The crowd awaiting seating fill the sidewalk to capacity and overflow, requiring peds to walk on the road and necessitating the city planners to cut down the area's coconut trees! whee. What a sight!

When really hungry, cab it on up to the lower end of Kapahulu holoholo from there. Ono's Hawaiian food. Helena's Hawaiian restaurant. Rainbow's plate lunch. Sushi places. (with the standard ubiquitous simple cartoon face for a logo. Genki sushi features a very angry frowning cartoon character. I will never understand this tradition of shop identity)

Kapahulu also is home to Leonard's malasadas. (a wildly popular place for the japanese for some reason.) There is a lil bar called OnStage. It has fabulous mexican food. Lulu is the chef. She had a restaurant in Mexico. A lunch wagon North Shore side. Now she cooks at this cute lil bar with that features live music every evening. She is there 5 on every day except Sunday and Tuesday. So ono! Yelp it to see pics.

Also on Kapahulu is the world reknown Bailey's antiques. Home to millions of aloha shirts old and new. amazing Hawaiian/local collectables. Chance 'um!

Edited: 1:09 pm, January 26, 2013
Kailua, Hawaii
3 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Hale Koa & walking vicinity questions

Never heard of "aloha hour" and I have been here a full half century. Keneke's is great plate lunch. If you are accustomed to high end/antiseptic insulated mainland dining, of course most any plate lunch place dining area would appear not clean. But it's local style. Run away from it if you don't want to experience Local hawaiian style anything. Down from Kenekes in Nalo town is Serge's mexican food. Really good. They have another restaurant in Manoa. Very cool . it is BYOB. so bring a twelve pack of Corona and a bottle opener.

McCully Sh. Cntr is a long walk from Hale Koa. Cab it. As for close to Hale Koa, just cruise Waiks. You will find eateries of all price ranges. but mostly upper price ranges. The death knell for all budgets including economy dining and/or reasonable was the redevelopment (total destruction) of Lewers Street, It now resembles anytown City Street mainland You Ess of Ay. Looks like the froufrou area of Wilshire. The Waikiki Improvement ASSociation and politicians are making Waikiki a for-the-rich only playground. "the powers that be" have it in mind to decimate fully, any and all reasonably priced dining and lodging options.

On Lewers, about the only place I hit frequently (for Lewers now, about once every two years) is The Yard House. Another corporate mainland presence. I love sitting at the bar in front of all those dozens of beer taps. And watching the fights. Haole families grumpily fighting for the next available table, pushing other families outta their way. hahaaa. what fun.

There is the Cheesecake factory makai of the International MarketPlace which you should visit wikiwiki, because talk again this will be torn down for even more modern upscale shpopping choices. Cheesecake factory features an amazing attraction; Crowds of tourons (who apparently en masse eschew local dining experiences) waiting for an hour or two, for a table at a restaurant that they can dine at in their own home town. The crowd awaiting seating fill the sidewalk to capacity and overflow, requiring peds to walk on the road and necessitating the city planners to cut down the area's coconut trees! whee. What a sight!

When really hungry, cab it on up to the lower end of Kapahulu holoholo from there. Ono's Hawaiian food. Helena's Hawaiian restaurant. Rainbow's plate lunch. Sushi places. (with the standard ubiquitous simple cartoon face for a logo. Genki sushi features a very angry frowning cartoon character. I will never understand this tradition of shop identity)

Kapahulu also is home to Leonard's malasadas. (a wildly popular place for the japanese for some reason.) There is a lil bar called OnStage. It has fabulous mexican food. Lulu is the chef. She had a restaurant in Mexico. A lunch wagon North Shore side. Now she cooks at this cute lil bar with that features live music every evening. She is there 5 on every day except Sunday and Tuesday. So ono! Yelp it to see pics.

Also on Kapahulu is the world reknown Bailey's antiques. Home to millions of aloha shirts old and new. amazing Hawaiian/local collectables. Chance 'um!

Edited: 1:14 pm, January 26, 2013
25. Re: Hale Koa & walking vicinity questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 28, 2014