We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heading to Kona May 19th...where to go what to do

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver Colorado
2 posts
Save Topic
Heading to Kona May 19th...where to go what to do

Hi all you Kona experts!

Our family is heading to Kona on May 19th for 10 days. We have 2 kids age 10 and 12. Looking for great restaurants, beaches, deep sea fishing, and swimming with the Manta Rays as well as any exception tour you'd recommend. We are staying in a time-share property in Kona and renting a car. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Westminster...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Heading to Kona May 19th...where to go what to do

Kona is on Hawaii... the Big Island. Not Oahu or Honolulu. You should repost this in the other forums and you'll get more help.

Santa Rosa, CA
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heading to Kona May 19th...where to go what to do

HI! We just got back from Kona and loved it! The manta rays are, I believe, at the Mauna Lani hotel just past Waikoloa. Also, I found something at the Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort. Snorkeling not so good out there BUT, head to Kona and you won't be disappointed. We rented snorkel gear (try Snorkel Bob's) for the week. The best place to snorkel is either the Place of Refuge or right next to the Outrigger hotel. There is a small beach with bathrooms and outside showers to rinse off. The reef keeps the big waves out and there are turtles EVERYWHERE. It is beach access and very easy to get into the water. Then, just flop on your belly and kick. It is a little murky for about 10-15 ft out and then clear as can be. BEAUTIFUL! We found the water to be even clearer than Maui. Of course, for swimming, Hapuna Beach, again, by the Mauna Lani. We found all of this info in the nifty blue travel book. I highly recommend it.

Santa Rosa, CA
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heading to Kona May 19th...where to go what to do

HI! We just got back from Kona and loved it! The manta rays are, I believe, at the Mauna Lani hotel just past Waikoloa. Also, I found something at the Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort. Snorkeling not so good out there BUT, head to Kona and you won't be disappointed. We rented snorkel gear (try Snorkel Bob's) for the week. The best place to snorkel is either the Place of Refuge or right next to the Outrigger hotel. There is a small beach with bathrooms and outside showers to rinse off. The reef keeps the big waves out and there are turtles EVERYWHERE. It has beach access and very easy to get into the water. Then, just flop on your belly and kick. It is a little murky for about 10-15 ft out and then clear as can be. BEAUTIFUL! We found the water to be even clearer than Maui. Of course, for swimming, Hapuna Beach, again, by the Mauna Lani. We found all of this info in the nifty blue travel book. I highly recommend it.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
147 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heading to Kona May 19th...where to go what to do

Did you get to the right forum? I noticed you did not post anything else.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
147 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heading to Kona May 19th...where to go what to do

When you book your manta ray tour check to see how many they saw the night before. There are tours from many locations. the one out of the airport marina had a lot of rays (18 feeders) when we were there and the one by the Sheraton did not (1 fly by).

6. Re: Heading to Kona May 19th...where to go what to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, August 12, 2009