We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hey, not ALL Aussies live in the shops!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Hey, not ALL Aussies live in the shops!

There, just had to say it ... ha ha!

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hey, not ALL Aussies live in the shops!

Everything I know about Aussies and shopping I learned in this forum. So you've definitely helped educate someone today! : )

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,670 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hey, not ALL Aussies live in the shops!

Are you sure you're an Aussie?? Where's that passport??

NORTH CAROLINA
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hey, not ALL Aussies live in the shops!

We need proof??

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,884 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hey, not ALL Aussies live in the shops!

Hey! I always figured that there HAD to be one!! Maybe sunshine is a member of shoppers anonymous...we should be supportive! ;-)

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,386 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hey, not ALL Aussies live in the shops!

You could have fooled me! We get them on the Los Angeles board as well. "Where is the closest Outlet Mall to LA?" etc.

Glad to hear you you like other things in Hawaii...er, do you go to Cheesecake Factory? LOL

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,275 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hey, not ALL Aussies live in the shops!

You guys are funny!

@ BeacheeMe - we all know it's the exchange rate at the mo that's caused the frenzy. Still, that being said, there's no way I'd travel, wear old things and throw them out on vacation - wouldn't even occur. You've gotta know when enough stuff is enough! Who needs 20 new outfits, 5 pairs of sunglasses, 25 handbags and enough cosmetics to go rancid before you get to use them? I'm going to get slaughtered here for saying it by my fellow Aussies but it's true!

@BLBL - Sure am, just don't use all the "Aussieisms". Does that make me any less an Aussie? I suddenly feel so insecure (not!).

@Mamma - Cured! In a department store in Germany, I once had a scarf taken out of my very hand while looking at it by another shopper. That was it for me. New view of shopping formed right there - and yes, I now can't 'do' sales either. If I wasn't tempted by an item originally, logically, it can't look any better at 50% off!

@CAnative - forgive them for they are just looking for a little retail joy and are hard done by in Australia for goodies at reasonable prices and range and have very limited time to make these discoveries while away.

Ummm, not a big fan of the Cheesecake Factory either! Went twice - I find it pretty fatty and huge = not an enticement or bargain to me but I can fully understand why it is liked so much - again neither the range or size over here even for the price. Just can't get anything like it so I understand the attraction.

Mentioned in this post
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,275 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hey, not ALL Aussies live in the shops!

A substantial percentage of the Australian population are not shop-crazy. It's a gender thing :-)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,884 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hey, not ALL Aussies live in the shops!

Oh...Harley! Tell Jen to slap you upside the head for me!! :-)

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hey, not ALL Aussies live in the shops!

Harleynut be careful what you say. I'm definitely born and bred Australian, and a red blooded Aussie girl to boot, and I hate loathe and detest shopping. With a passion.

I can understand though the infatuation that some people have with shopping overseas, since everything we purchase in Australia is so much cheaper everywhere else. I go overseas at least once a year and I always stock up on cosmetics while I'm away since it's so much cheaper than in Australia. I also have two horses, and a serious penchant for English leather saddlery. A decent quality English leather bridle, for instance, will cost the equivalent of around $80 in the UK, but here in Australia, you can quadruple that price for the same bridle.

The biggest insult though is Bates Saddlery. Bates is an Australian company, and its saddles are all made in Australia (although in reality some are not). So how is it that an Australian made saddle that costs $2700 to buy in Australia (and this is a saddle that IS made in Australia) can be purchased for 1000 pounds in the UK (around $AUD1600)??? Work that one out ... I sure as hell can't ...

Edited: 11:21 pm, January 12, 2013
Australia
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hey, not ALL Aussies live in the shops!

I am an Aussie and love the shopping in Hawaii. Seems to me from trip reports Aussies who don't live in the shops live at the bars - could be a gender thing. LOL. Either way we are taking in the culture of Hawaii , meeting people and adding to the economy . Gotta luv Hawaii....

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
;