We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question......which hotel would you pick? please read...

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
271 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Question......which hotel would you pick? please read...

Hi.....looking online........which hotel would you pick? Hilton Hawaiian VillageBeach resort and spa........(is that the one that is painted or some type of design on the side of if?) or the Sheraton Waikiki Beach?Thank you for any help ..............or if you have any other suggestions?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question......which hotel would you pick? please read...

Only stayed in the HHV -- and it was nice, but big and busy. It is the one with the rainbow painted on the side ... you see it a lot in photos of Waikiki b/c it is at one end and you can stand there and see most of Waikiki.

Menifee, California
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question......which hotel would you pick? please read...

Aloha!

In my opinion, Hilton is the way to go! It's a complete "village" with a VERY nice beach, well appointed rooms, a GREAT pool area, good staff, and plenty of restaurants and shops to choose from!

Bryan Brown

BBrown9825@aol.com

New York
Level Contributor
271 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question......which hotel would you pick? please read...

Hi ......thank you ..........where the hilton is ..........is that a better part of the beach? looks bigger........so hard to pick a spot when you have never been there......thanks again :)

Derby, UK
Level Contributor
888 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question......which hotel would you pick? please read...

You can see aerial shots of both hotels using this link Beth-NY:

http://www.wizardpub.com/oahu/oahaerials.html

This map shows you where the hotels are in relation to everything else:

www.driveguidemagazines.com/oahu_waikiki.html

U2fan

SoCAL
Level Contributor
415 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question......which hotel would you pick? please read...

I've stayed at neither, but Sheraton is closer to the middle of Kealakekua Blvd that has the "action" so to speak. Hilton HV has everthing THERE though, too. Lots of restaurants, the beach out front is very nice...

One thing, whenever I walk through there like at check in/out time it seems like such a zoo! My coworkers have stayed there and the comment I hear is that it is soooooo big and doesn't have the "cozy" resort feel. But, that's ok if you don't mind the convenience of having a lot of restaurants, shops, etc. within the resort.

Ma.
Level Contributor
140 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question......which hotel would you pick? please read...

Stayed at the Hilton 4 years ago, it was to busy. Staff was cold and unhelpful. Paid top dollar for oceanfront, Diamond Head view in Ali'i Tower. View great, room ok, nothing special. Also, to far away from all the best parts of Waikiki. Spent to much time walking back and forth. Better surfing down near the Sheraton and in the thick of it all. Returning to Waikiki during the holidays and staying more centrally located. Staying at Outrigger on the Reef with our children and hoping Outrigger is going to be ok? Never stayed at one before and hoping to be pleasantly surprised!

North of Jamaica
Level Contributor
353 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question......which hotel would you pick? please read...

I like the Sheraton...the location, service, everything about it. I've stayed at both locations and like most people say, the Hilton is way to big and impersonal, mind you the Sheraton is big too but just has a cosier feel to it. My hotel of choice now is the Halekulani right next to the Sheraton. Either way you can't go wrong. Your in Hawaii!! Enjoy!!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question......which hotel would you pick? please read...

Hilton is at one end of Waikiki, so it's a bit of a walk to other things, but not what I would call a long way.

Many of the restaurants are quite expensive. One thing I discovered when I stayed there a couple of weeks ago is that the ABC store across the street had little bowls of fresh fruit that were great for breakfast ... and about a third of the price you pay at the Hilton!

New York
Level Contributor
271 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question......which hotel would you pick? please read...

I am not sure where to stay........if anyone has any other suggestions on hotels...........online the beach at the hilton looks bigger? I work for continental airlines and i get discounts at alot of hotels...........so i will have to shop around..........if anyone has any other suggestions.......where there is a a good beach and pool open to all............thanks for everyones help

tampa, fl
Level Contributor
295 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question......which hotel would you pick? please read...

Hi Beth,

First thing, congratulations on your upcoming trip to Hawaii...there are a lot of people who will be pretty envious of you right now. Second, I have not been to the Sheraton Waikiki Beach but I did stay at the HHV last year and LOVED it!

As far as picking hotels, I guess the key thing you need to do is detrmine if you need to be at a hotel that is in the center of the action or if you want to be at a hotel that IS the action center. If the latter is the case, then the HHV is the only choice.

Like I said, based on the reviews I have read, the Sheraton Waikiki Beach is nice, but the Hilton is paradise! When you ride or drive up to any of the hotels, you will see what I mean. This hotel stands out from the moment you see the beautifully landscaped grounds. It is the postcard picture you have always seen of hotels. For all those who say it is too big I say to them...WHAT is too big? You live in NY so I don't think ANYTHING can be considered too big for you. One thing to realize is that the reason this hotel is so big is that it is actually 6 hotel towers on one plot of land (Alii, Kalia, Tapa, Rainbow, Diamondhead and Lagoon towers). Any one of these towers is pretty much the equivalent of many of the other hotels on the island. The reason why this place is considered too big is because it has EVERYTHING under one roof. Shopping, restaurants, spa salon, multiple pools, the largest section of beach in Waikiki, beautifully designed rooms, great fireworks show, very nice weekend celebrations, (and don't forget ...it has PENGUINS ! ). It also gives you the convenience of renting cars, purchasing tours and just about anything else you could possilbly want to do in Hawaii. Besides that, if you don't want to walk the relatively short distance to the heart of Waikiki, you can take a cheap $2 shuttle. It is also within a short drive or bus ride to the Ala Mona Mall (the BEST mall in Oahu). If this is too big, I'll take it anyday.

So in summary, if you have never been to Honolulu before and want the most bang for your buck, THIS is the place to go. We were there 3 nights last year and this year we are staying for 8 nights, primarily because we loved the hotel so much.