We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Right hand driving problems for Australian drivers

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Right hand driving problems for Australian drivers

I am wondering if it takes much time to change the thought processes to drive on the right hand side of the road.

Concerned about prangs etc. but would love to rent a car for my stay or only some days.

I will be a solo woman so wondering any other solo lady had problems with navigation and driving.

Many thanks in advance.

Yorktown, Virginia
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Right hand driving problems for Australian drivers

I can speak to the reverse situation -- we moved from the U.S. to England. For us, the biggest problem was when turning out of parking lots -- then, we had a tendency to head for the wrong side of the road. Of course, it you are following another car out of the lot, you are automatically reminded which way to go. You should also be vigilant making any turns -- at stop signs or traffic lights.

Mainly, stay vigilant & keep "right side of the road" all the time. When you are traveling down a road, no problem at all, IMO. You will very quickly sense how to keep your car in the middle of the lane you should be in.

Have fun!

Shari

www.theoptimistictraveler.com

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,299 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Right hand driving problems for Australian drivers

What's a prang?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Right hand driving problems for Australian drivers

A prang is an accident!

I have been driving around Oahu for the past twelve days with no problems what so ever. Depends how confident a driver you are. I found that telling myself keep right when turning helpful. Also the only time I really had to think was like redhead said was in parking lots, I was automatically pulling to the left. Be careful follow the speed limits and you will be fine. I did pay for the garmin gps which was really helpful.

In summary I suggest you rent the car and get out and enjoy Oahu it is a beautiful place with 99 percent of drivers polite!!!

Edited: 2:22 am, December 13, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Right hand driving problems for Australian drivers

A prang is an accident. All Aussies would have know that. Sorry about that.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Right hand driving problems for Australian drivers

Put something on the passenger seat that starts with a K ... like keys..

Then remember to keep the "keys kerbside" ... so that will help, and say it out loud as you drive...!

My biggest problem was at an intersection and turning left .. you have to go "over" the intersection .. just like we do turning right.

At the traffic lights, there is usually a left turn arrowed lane to help you .. so that's not a problem.

Once out of the city limits, it's so easy as there is less traffic.

I have driven so many miles in the US mainland and Hawaii that I am an old hand at it .. and you too will feel comfortable. I've done the freeways with big interchanges, but I follow the signs ...

One suggestion is to get The Bus to Turtle Bay Resort (cost $2.50) and hire a car up there and drive around all day in that area .. as traffic is less, hardly any traffic lights .. then drop off the car and get The Bus back...?

Those freeways in Honolulu may daunt you at first ... so doing it from Turtle Bay will give you a bit more confidence, and heaps to see up that way as well.

As far as having a prang is concerned, I tell people, "I've never had a prang, but I may have caused a few"...

You go girl...!!

Edited: 3:54 am, December 13, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
4,705 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
436 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Right hand driving problems for Australian drivers

Our credo when travelling to the USA and driving is "righty tighty", "lefty loosy", ie right hand tight turn , left hand lose turn. It works for us and we have covered over 1000 miles.Its the first turn out of a drive way thats daunting. No prangs now okay ? No stacks either !

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,689 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Right hand driving problems for Australian drivers

Pranges, stacks? It's almost like learning a foreign language!!!

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara
Level Contributor
8,924 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Right hand driving problems for Australian drivers

I’m one driving on the left too when back home. Funny as it looks, my advice is you take a mental note of this:

Levers for wipers and turn signals are located each on the *wrong* side of the steering wheel, so beware if you’re used to right-hand side steering wheels. Time and again I had the wipers running (when approaching an intersection) under blue skies and direction indicators blinking aimlessly for a few seconds when driving dead straight in the rain. So you’d need to avoid dangerous/annoying/dotty behaviors toward other vehicles if you were like me...

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,869 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Right hand driving problems for Australian drivers

Shot, we had the same problem in NZ. No issues with driving on the other side, but we probably wore out the wipers!

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Right hand driving problems for Australian drivers

thanks for that information. normally a vv good driver, but where I live the morning peakhour travel consists of about 25 cars spread out we only have one traffic light as well. So I guess you will get the drift of my concerns.

Cheers Ina