We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Pearl harbour if we do not join a day tour

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
87 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to Pearl harbour if we do not join a day tour

Hi

I read that it is not easy to get to Pearl harbour if you do not drive. We do not drive.

Heard that the bus journey is very long and taxis are hard to get in waikiki. We will be staying at Waikiki shore.

Alternatively we will get a day tour but the timing is not so good.

Some suggestions please.

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
302 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Pearl harbour if we do not join a day tour

We didnt join a day tour to go to Pearl Harbor. We caught The Bus it took about 45 minutes maximum and the time goes by fast if you use it to look at whats passing by. We had 4 kids with us and they had no issues with time taken to get to and from Pearl Harbor. I can guarantee it was not difficult to get there at all.

We wouldnt catch a taxi to Pearl Harbor due to cost and the sheer ease of catching the bus. Having said that we never had an issue when we did need to catch a taxi at other times.

Singapore
Level Contributor
87 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Pearl harbour if we do not join a day tour

Hi

Is yours a waikiki trolley? if not, Is there a 2 day pass for bus? because we would also like to go to Ala Moana shopping centre. Is it the same route?

Sandakan, Malaysia
Level Contributor
338 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Pearl harbour if we do not join a day tour

Take bus no. 20 or 42 on Kuhio Ave. The journey takes about an hour. Both buses pass by the Ala Moana Shopping Center. Note that this is The Bus, not the Waikiki Trolley.

For more info visit www.thebus.org

Fares are $2.50 each trip regardless of distance, with a free transfer given if you ask for it. There's no 2-day pass, but they do have a 4-day pass

Edited: 5:49 am, November 07, 2012
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Pearl harbour if we do not join a day tour

I have been to Pearl Harbor three times .. the first on a tour .. which was a waste of money, especially since it is free to get in.

The other times I caught The Bus and enjoyed the ride through metropolitan Honolulu.

The Bus take you right into the memorial ... and to get it back to Waikiki, it's on the main road outside the memormial .. just 20 feet to the left .. you will see the bus stop. I've never asked for a transfer to get back .. I paid the $2.50. I think the transfer is only if you are continuing a journey and you have to change buses.

They run continuously down Kuhio Avenue and yes, you can get them to go to Ala Moana Shopping Mall.

The 4 day passes can be purchased at any ABC Store, and they are on every corner... but only buy them if you think you are going to use The Bus a lot .. otherwise they work out more expensive than paying the $2.50.

By the way have you pre-purchased your Pearl Harbor tickets online?

Enjoy...

5. Re: How to get to Pearl harbour if we do not join a day tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 29, 2013