We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atm Fees

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Atm Fees

Hi everyone. I'm going to be staying in Waikiki from Australia and just wondering how much ATM fees were? I've got a Citibank card and are there any citibank ATMs?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atm Fees

You go to the ATM that has the logo's that are on the back of your card.

Get a debit card and put some money on it ... it's like having a savings account ... and when you take money out of the ATM, you get charged $2 .. but you can also use it to pay for meals and shopping and there is no fee.

Check it out with your bank. I put several thousand on my debit card travelling through the US, and it worked fine.... Plus I took some cash and had a credit card as a standby. Of course, that got used heaps of time too.

Take a few $1 and $5 notes with you when you leave Sydney as these are required when you arrive for tipping people at the airport who help you with your bags, the shuttle driver and the bell boy and young person who takes your luggage to your room. We kept the tipping money in a smallish makeup zipper bag .. so we didn't get the bigger notes mixed up with the smaller ones.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atm Fees

Depends on your bank as well as the ATM you use. Call Citibank. I used a Citibank ATM in Brazil and don't pay fees, but I have a Citibank Gold account. Your fees may vary. They are always spelled out before you give the final go-ahead for the transaction. I usually end up paying fees in the U.S. unless I'm at an actual Citibank location. They seem to have an agreement with an ATM network called "Moneypass." . Go to www.citibank.com, "Locatiöns," and look for bank or ATM locations in Honolulu (or wherver else you are going).

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Seattle
Level Contributor
48,755 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atm Fees

The ATMs I have used had a $2 per transaction fee + whatever your home bank charges.

It doesn't fund an entire vacation but I usually shopped at Food Pantry grocery store most days and they'd let you take $40 over purchase each time.

suze

Mentioned in this post
Food Pantry
Food Pantry
387 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Mililani, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atm Fees

I agree with suze2you. Many grocery, convienence, drugstores let you take cash out when you make a transaction and there is no fee. For example Longs Drugs (Cvs) and Foodland at Ala Moana or Walmart across the street. I called one of the ABC stores and unfortunately they said they don't do cash back.

Basically, make a purchase and select "debit" (not credit) and put in your pin number. It will ask if you want cash back and you select the amount you want (there is a store limit - I think longs is $35, I think Walmart is $100). They will add the amount to you purchase total and give you cash from the register.

The Citibank website says it is part of the Cirrus ATM network. First Hawaiian Bank machines are part of this network and they have ATMs all over (however I believe they will charge you the bank fee of $2.50) in addition to whatever Citibank charges for outside banks.

Basically my suggestion would be to use your check/debit card to purchase almost anything and then collect cash from those places that allow you to take cash back. If you need, there are ATMs everywhere but there will likely be a fee.

Aloha and enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Foodland
Foodland
240 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,666 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Aloha Hawaii Tours
Aloha Hawaii Tours
1,179 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
94,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atm Fees

If you use a Citi ATM, there will be no fees at all. The Australian Citibank Plus account does not charge any fees for ATM withdrawals outside Australia, and American Citibank ATMs do not charge any fees for withdrawals from these Australian accounts. I know this is so, because we did exactly that in Portland 10 days ago.

If you go to online.citibank.com and click on "Locations", you can get a list of Citibank ATMs by city or town.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,257 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atm Fees

Citi ATMS may be hard to come by in Hawaii. I actually do not think there are any.

Remember that the US has different protections for credit and debit card purchases and fraud. In general, credit cards offer us more protection if there is a merchant dispute, fraudulent charge. We use credit cards for most purchases, saving the debit card for banks or for occasional cash back at grocery stores and the like.

In the grand scheme of our two-week trips, we collect cash from the bank ATMs twice, plus the occasional $25 or so from cahs back at grocery stores. The fees are only about $10 total. Not much really compared to the hassle of lugging vast wads of cash around all the time. We have Wells FArgo and there are no WF ATMs in Hawaii...we use bank of Hawaii or First Hawaiian ATMs. We do not use random ATMS in gas stations, convenience stores, etc. since those can be more prone to card skimming, etc.

Edited: 11:48 am, November 04, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
94,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Atm Fees

The web site referenced in reply #5 gives 4 Citibank ATMs in Honolulu. It seems they may actually be operated by Money Pass.

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,680 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Atm Fees

The OP has been and gone to Hawaii but seeing as there is some info in this thread I thought I would add to it.

I was looking through my bank account details for the last trip, and discovered that "intl trans fee" drowned out any purchases I made using my visa card. My bank charges 2.5% for each transaction. Over the course of my trip this added up to $125.

Any funds I withdrew from an ATM attracted a 4.00 fee. PER TRANSACTION.

I am investigating other options, there are about 4 cards which do not charge these fees. One is the 28 degrees card from GE which tends to get excellent reviews on the Whirlpool forums. There is a card from Aussie (which used to be Wizard) and a couple from Bankwest (but you need a $8000 credit limit, read that one carefully, I got caught out applying for that one).

creditcardfinder.com.au/foreign-currency-int…

There is also things like the American Express Global Travel Card -

https:/…index.shtml

I am still looking into options for this. Does anyone have any experience with finding something fee free? ;)

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Melbourne
Level Contributor
385 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Atm Fees

Oh great, I am also interested in these replies. We have a 28 degrees mastercard which we used in both Bali and Thailand to avoid the bank conversion fees which can add up quite quickly. We found it worked well so hoping it will work in Hawaii as well. We actually have two accounts, one which we preload with cash (for drawing out of the ATM or maybe using cashback) and the other as a credit card. I like to pay almost everything by credit so we don't get caught short with cash and then pay it off when we get back. The only thing to remember is that the bank doesn't cover you for lost cash if you have preloaded the card with your own funds although they will cover you if its credit. This is why I don't like to load too much. I will also take some cash. I presume that almost anything is payable via credit card?

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,680 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Atm Fees

I think most things are payable by credit card, but I do like to have some cash on me for tipping. The one time I need cash is at the Swap Meet.

I've applied for the Bank West Platinum credit card, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm also one of those people who likes to pay by credit and then pay off the credit card when I'm done.

Would be nice to get some other replies and see how people are managing this. :)