We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

when to arrive at airport for inter-island flight

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
when to arrive at airport for inter-island flight

Hi: We'll be flying HNL-ITO in July. I haven't booked the flights yet, but how much in advance should one arrive at HNL airport prior to an inter-island flight?

Thanks,

Kay

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,586 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: when to arrive at airport for inter-island flight

What time of day will you be flying...?

Will you be flying Hawaiian Air (hopefully)?

The crowds in the Hawaiian Terminal can vary widely during the day, busy in the morning and often packed from 11;30 to 2:30.

If you don't have a rental car to return, don't have luggage to check-in, and have your boarding pass in hand, being at the security line 45 minutes before your flight is plenty, except at mid-day when you should allow 10 or 15 minutes more.

If you need to turn in a car, allow another 10 to 15 minutes.

If you need to check-in bags, another 10 (up to 20 if at mid-day).

If you need to print out a boarding pass, and have your confirmation number, allow another five minutes.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: when to arrive at airport for inter-island flight

I think the recommended time is the same as any domestic flight. .(Is that 90 minutes? I can never remember because we always add cushion time.)

Part of the reason iterisland flights aren't a breeze ...

Kona
Level Contributor
2,497 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: when to arrive at airport for inter-island flight

If you're actually in the terminal one hour before your flight, you'll be fine . . .

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: when to arrive at airport for inter-island flight

Thanks. We'll be flying Hawaiian, returning a car and will have luggage. The flights are early morning flights, the latest being at 9 or 10. It's going to be on a Saturday morning, so is traffic an issue from Waikiki to HNL on the weekend?

K

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: when to arrive at airport for inter-island flight

I suspect sat a.m. traffic isn't bad. Hopefully someone who knows better will say for sure.

The problem, of course, is you can't be sure. I would add at least an extra 15 minutes to travel time to allow for unexpected traffic.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: when to arrive at airport for inter-island flight

The airlines want you at the airport 90 minutes in advance. I've been fine with an hour - but I know my way around. I'd say try for the 90 minutes to give yourself some space.

Traffic shouldn't be bad towards the airport on a Saturday morning... taking the freeway, yes? If you take Ala Moana, double check to see that there isn't a parade or festival of sort.

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: when to arrive at airport for inter-island flight

Aloha Kay, my suggestion to you if you are flying Hawaiian inter-island, no matter what flight and time of the day (6 am - 4 pm), before you return your rental car, Hawaiian has a "DRIVE THRU" service where you can drive your car to check in. Located next to arrival baggage claim B, mountain side in the parking lot, visible with a huge sign.

While standing at your car, a porter will come and ask you for your I.D. and your final destination. He will takes your luggage to weigh-in, give your I.D. to the HA agent, tell you to walk over to the HA agent, while tagging your bags (don't forget your cliam checks) as you wait for your boarding pass and pay for your luggage charge. This is the last you see of your luggage.l The porter will then pass your luggage to TSA and agriculture to check, before you go return or go park your car. A great service that many don't know about.

This service eliminates the crowd, the waiting in line, worring about your rental return and it gives you much more time to relax before getting on your flight. The only hold back if there is any would be going through security check. Give it a try, you will be surprise.

nwf
NSW Australia
Level Contributor
910 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: when to arrive at airport for inter-island flight

Hi there,

Good to see you flying Hawai'ian.

Stick to 90 minutes and buy a magazine.

Have a good time...NWF.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: when to arrive at airport for inter-island flight

Thanks for all the replies, and for the heads up islekane for the pre-rental car check in service.

K

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: when to arrive at airport for inter-island flight

Kay, remember, it is only Hawaiian Airlines Drive Thru check-in for your flight. You still need to go to return your car rental at the appropriate place. The good thing about the "Drive Thru" is that you can stay with your car as you check yourself in. Beats returning your car, than, hauling your luggage on the rental shuttle bus, back to check in. Good luck