We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlantis Submarines

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Atlantis Submarines

Just wondering what your opinions are on the Atlantis Submarine ride. We are traveling as a group with about 10 children under 12 (most of the children are between 4 and 8). It seems to be a little pricey, so is it worth is it with this age range? It does look fun!

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,109 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlantis Submarines

Don't bother with the Atlantis. - Take them on a catamaran ride instead!!

California
Level Contributor
543 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlantis Submarines

I agree... the Atlantis isn't worth all of the money you'd spend.

Stoney Creek...
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlantis Submarines

I disagree with the above posters. Did the Atlantis sub ride and thoroughly enjoyed it. My first time on a sub and we went down to a depth of 120 feet, I thought it was fantastic.

While it is a little pricey for the age group of the children you are traveling with I believe if you partake in the trip you will be creating a memory that will last a lifetime. I'm over 50 and it did this for me, if you can afford it, don't hesitate and I know you won't regret it.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atlantis Submarines

For the most part, comments here on the TA forums generally (not always) consider the sub to be an expensive tourist trap. We took it on our rookie trip to Maui and were very "under-whelmed."

I would skip it.

(The Honolulu Zoo, however, is very nice!)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
237 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atlantis Submarines

I asked this same question a while ago on this forum and decided to cancel our reservation only because it was said there wasnt a lot of sea life to be seen in the area they take you to and I had done this same trip with this same company in Cozumel. It's not the companys fault that the area they are allowed to operate in doesnt draw a lot of sea creatures. I am sure there are restrictions as there should be on where this sub is allowed to go. The general attitude on this forum seems to be to skip this all together and they bill it as a tourist trap and why spend your time underwater when there is so much to do above water which I disagree with. I absolutely loved everything about the ride in Cozumel. I was in my late 40's a few years ago when I took the trip in Cozumel and since I dont dive and never plan on diving it was the best underwater experience I have ever had. I enjoyed it so much in Cozumel I was ready to book in September in Honolulu this year just a few years later. I canceled in Honolulu only because it was my 1st time to that island and I already had several other fairly expensive tours planned and limited time there and am pretty sure I will have other oppertunites to do the tour at another location so I didnt do it . I think kids and sea creature lovers of any age would almost surely enjoy this ride no matter how much or how little sea life was around that day. If you dont dive this sub ride gives you an up close almost eye to eye view of sea critters going about their normal business and being free in their natural environment which I had never seen at any depth farther down than I could see by snorkling and I really appreciated what I saw at the bottom even tho we were still in pretty shallow water but deeper than I would ever be able to swim down to or see down to from the waters surface. I think this sub ride probably encourages people from kids to seniors to desire to become divers and underwater explorers and helps people to understand the need to be more respectful of the ocean and the need to preserve the critters living in it and above it. If this sub ride in Honolulu is the only sub ride you are ever going to get to take book it and have a great time. Are you going to see giant squid and mermaids probably not but it is still a great perspective on a little sliver of our planet not that many people get to see. In retrospect I wish I had booked this sub ride rather than doing a few of the tourist trap things touted here as cant be missed. We all have our own opinions and my opinion is this sub ride is very fun and worth the price and the memory of it for some at least both young and old will be a a memory that lasts for life. Mine will.

Burnaby
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Atlantis Submarines

I too took my family a few years ago and everyone truly enjoyed the experience. We did see a good number of sea life including a small shark which swam by our window. It later rested on the seabed and everyone were able to see it. None of us come from any diving background so it was pretty cool for all of us. I guarantee it will be a highlight for the kids. Little pricey yes but one of those things you will do probably once in your life!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Atlantis Submarines

http://honoluluzoo.org/default.htm

Here is the website for the Zoo. Take a look at the educational program. The twilight tour always sounded fun to me. (I know you have great zoos in Sydney!)

About Atlantis sub ... as mentioned before, it comes up fairly regularly ... if you decide to go, make sure that all the kids meet any height or weight requirements. Also make sure that the kids are "OK" with the concept ... won't freak out or anything.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,995 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Atlantis Submarines

My dh and then 10 year old nephew thoroughly enjoyed the sub ride. Both of them are great snorkelers but wanted a true underwater experience. If you have the money are are willing to spend it this would be a good thing to do. If you are coming during whale season there is a good chance you will see them under water.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Atlantis Submarines

<<If you are coming during whale season there is a good chance you will see them under water.>> From Honolulu, msfuzz?

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Atlantis Submarines

Our family did it a few years back... and we all loved it!

It is pricey but to us it was one of those "experiences" that was well worth it.

Would we do it again... in a heartbeat, if it was WAY, WAY discounted! LOL

I don't consider it a tourist trap at all...