We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I walk from the Ilikai to Diamond Head?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
250 reviews
Save Topic
Can I walk from the Ilikai to Diamond Head?

I know I can but the question is, do I want to? Am staying at the Ilikai in early December, probably without a car although a may get one for a day or two. I am a fit and active woman in my 40s who walks regularly. Google maps puts the walk from the Ilikai to Diamond Head at about an hour then I'd do the hike and then obviously walk back again.

Do I want to do this? Or am I better off catching public transport and saving my energy for the hike? What is the easiest method of public transport from the Ilikai? If I walk, is it a nice walk? I am in no hurry and am happy to meander along. Just wondering what the experts recommend.

Mentioned in this post
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
152 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Canada
Level Contributor
263 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Can I walk from the Ilikai to Diamond Head?

As always the advocate of walking, yes I would say to walk there. It’s a beautiful walk and if you enjoy being active you’ll love it. I do it regularly as a jog while in Oahu.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Can I walk from the Ilikai to Diamond Head?

Would I walk to Diamond Head from Ilikai? Sure, if I was in the mood.

Would I walk to Diamond Head from Ilikai THEN HIKE DIAMOND HEAD? Not on your life.

Diamond Head is a lot like climbing stairs for a very long time. (It iterally has stairs.) Pretty exhausting. I'd take the bus.

Mentioned in this post
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
152 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Ulladulla, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Can I walk from the Ilikai to Diamond Head?

We recently stayed at the Ilikai (loved it !!) we hired push bikes for 4 days and used those as our transport. Rode up to Diamond Head, locked up the bikes (a lock comes with the hire) and up we hiked then cruised home around the crater - was lovely. Besides Diamond Head - everything is so flat - just perfect for bike riding. Loved it. You cant ride on the foot paths but just ride safely with the traffic. Perfect. Enjoy. Am booking to return next July with the kids - loved it x Did I say that I loved it ! lol

Mentioned in this post
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
152 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Can I walk from the Ilikai to Diamond Head?

So, resurrecting my post to tell you what I did, and so if anyone searches for this, they will have an answer. I took various bits of advice and am very grateful because it was very helpful. I ended up catching the bus there which was good advice as walking there and then doing the climb would have been a looong day I think. I also appreciated the advice to go on a Saturday which I did so I could go to the markets. I enjoyed wandering around so thankyou for that advice too.

I intended to catch the bus back but after waiting for 45 minutes and it not arriving, I decided to walk back and that was fine too although I was a bit weary by the end. It was interesting to see the great mass of humanity climbing Diamond Head - all these Japanese girls in their unsuitable shoes, one person even in Ugg boots and there was a blind man with a stick and a guide -obviously in it for the challenge LOL

So, thankyou to the wisdom of the world for your help

Mentioned in this post
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
152 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Can I walk from the Ilikai to Diamond Head?

Thanks for letting us know. Glad you enjoyed it.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
581 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Can I walk from the Ilikai to Diamond Head?

Hub walks it every year from Outrigger Reef to Dimondhead... he starts EARLY.. he is pretty fit and for him.. he loves it.. it is all the challenge. I think you certainly can do it and would enjoy. I would walk over..bus back! WAIT...lol I would prob not do it at all.. I am NOT fit..lol

nwf
NSW Australia
Level Contributor
910 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Can I walk from the Ilikai to Diamond Head?

Hi there,

Despite the Billions of Dollars spent on diets and fitness programs

obessity is still winning the battle of the Bulge.

Enjoy life as you wish but use some sense..

Walking is Not the Final solution..Cold water is...NWF.

18. Re: Can I walk from the Ilikai to Diamond Head?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 30, 2013