We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinese New Year

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston
Level Contributor
176 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Chinese New Year

We will be on Oahu for Chinese New Year, 2013. Is the parade only in Chinatown? Just wondering where the best viewing place would be.Thanks, Dot

Mare Island, CA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinese New Year

Dot, The Chinese New Year's Parade in Honolulu starts near the State Capitol in Downtown. The entire route is fine for viewing. The route travels in a nw direction along Hotel Street. I have always enjoyed the parade from between Alakea St. and Nuuanu St. Before Nuuanu is considered "downtown." Past (west of) Nuuanu is Chinatown. All this is near Iolani Palace, the only Royal Palace in the USA, and the King Kamehameha Statue on King St. (not named after Martin Luther, but a REAL king). You should tour those before the parade. You will want to go into Chinatown after watching the parade. Half of the island of Oahu will be there! It's a real party. Best tropical fruit smoothies (maybe in the world) at Summer's Frappe near corner of Mauna Kea St. and Pauahi St. (She'll be overrun with folks, so better to visit her any OTHER day). At Mauna Kea & Beretania Streets (a block East of Summer's) you should definitely go to the Chinese Cultural Center. You may be best advised to take a bus in & out of the festival area. If you drive a car plan to walk far! Parking might be available at Mililani St. or Kawaihao St. if you get there a solid hour early (during which time you can see/tour the other locations I mentioned). Lots of delicious food served all over Chinatown during the event. This is the first year I cannot attend in some time. Enjoy it for me! -Mark Blackburn

Houston
Level Contributor
176 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinese New Year

Thanks Mark, but I just found out the celebration will not be on the actual day, but on February 2nd. We don't arrive until February 4th. Disappointed, but that's the way it is!

honolulu
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinese New Year

nonstophonolulu.com/blogs/…

You can go on the 8th or 9th. Not sure about the performances.

Houston
Level Contributor
176 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinese New Year

Thanks, we will find out whats going on!

5. Re: Chinese New Year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 19, 2014