We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My trip review -from an Aussie tourist

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
My trip review -from an Aussie tourist

Part 1-long review

I went on vacation with my dad,we flew from Sydney to Oahu with Hawaiian Airlines, on Saturday 4th August. After customs we used go808express to get to our hotel, Rodney was the driver and was brilliant. Dinner was at Dukes Canoe Club at the outrigger - I recommend you make a booking before your vacation, ours was for 6.30 and the couple before us was told it was a 45 min wait!

We stayed at Ohana Waikiki West , this is my 4th time at this hotel. It's location is great. It's a close walk to most places , it also has a great area for picking up tours etc.

Sunday saw a day of shopping at Ala Mona shopping at Sears , sketchers and then on to Walmart. A great day shopping. Dinner was at Red Lobster - a lot of Americans don't recommend this place , but we enjoyed it .

Monday was the day trip to Kauai. We were picked up by Rodney from go808express at 5am - we had arranged our own flights on Hawaiian and a tour with Roberts. We joined around 12 others and was taken around the beautiful "Garden Isle" from the Waimea Canyon - to the Fern Grotto, a wonderful day getting back to Oahu about 7pm and Rodney had us back around 19.45

Tuesday was another rest day spend on the beach and shopping, we booked the Star of Honolulu Sunset Dinner Cruise & Legends Show Combo. We were picked up at 4.30 and taken to the Aloha pier (was surprised on the number of empty shops) to get aboard the Star of Honolulu. The meal was good and so was the welcome drink. The cruise was fun with a number of performers and singers. Plus we got to see the magnificent sunset. Before returning to the pier. When we arrived they found me and dad and we were first off the boat to be rushed off to the Royal Hawaiian centre to join the audience for "legends Waikiki - rock a hula show" we were met by the operations manager who guided us to the theatre, gave us a welcome "blue Hawaii cocktail" and gave us some great seats. We enjoyed a young Elvis, Elton john , little Richard, Michael Jackson and old Elvis. What a fantastic show , so glad I went. Hope it has a long season in Waikiki.

Wednesday - we decided to use our groupon tickets for the "Aloha Bus" this has really mixed reviews. We had a nice breeze which made it nice on the roof. It gave a different view to Waikiki and Honolulu. We were glad we did it the groupon price. Still was good. Not that many on the bus. We got out at ward centre for coffee and caught a cab to Costco . The evening saw us going to "Magic of Polynesia and dinner show" ( we used entertainment book online coupons we got from bigtip.com - at no cost )we had to check in at 5 pm and they served dinner from 5.30 , the food was reasonable considering we only paid 40.00 each with the coupon. I saw this show 4 years ago and it is the same. It was lots of fun and dad and I enjoyed the show.

More to come soon !

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,959 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: My trip review -from an Aussie tourist

Aloha,

Mahalo for the report Ozjohn

Glad you and Dad had a great time

Aloha

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My trip review -from an Aussie tourist

Yes was fantastic , will finish off the review Over next day or so

Aloha

John

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My trip review -from an Aussie tourist

Interested in what you thought of Costco?

Have been to the Auburn/Sydney one & certainly would not be on my agenda as a tourist , irrespective of the $.....unless there was a need to buy in bulk.

Just my opinion.

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
302 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My trip review -from an Aussie tourist

Cant wait for part 2....

Thanks for posting your trip for us.

Dallas
Level Contributor
25,421 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My trip review -from an Aussie tourist

Thanks for the report. Sounds like you and your dad are having a great time and doing some fun stuff.

Looking forward to the rest of your report.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,087 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My trip review -from an Aussie tourist

Enjoyable read.

Certainly a wonderful trip. Keep us posted!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
659 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My trip review -from an Aussie tourist

Thanks for the review. Sounds like you had a great time. It was very different from my trip to Oahu.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My trip review -from an Aussie tourist

Wednesday night saw us walk up to seaside ave to look at "Ross" what a great shop. For people who don't know what Ross is , they have oddments of many designer clothes and shoes at real great prices. I got a pair of sketchers runners for 30.00 ( in normal shop 90.00) plus they have jeans etc

Thursday was an easy start , after breakfast we went off to the beach for a while and then off to the Hilton Hawaiian village for a cold drink and people watch.

We then went next door to the Hale Koa Luau , this hotel is for the us military and you need a "guest pass" to allow non us military to attend anything on the site. We had got our tickets on the day we arrived in Waikiki. The luau is set in a beautiful garden area of the hotel. When you arrive they give you a shell necklace,and a welcome cocktail - they have different activities like you see in see in paradise cove on a smaller scale.

After the activities and the unveiling of the pork. You get to go to your seats. The meal was good and us served to the table.The show is hosted by " Glenn Medeiros " he sang and joined parts of the luau together. Was a nice night. The final tribute to the "heroes" was moving . The show finished by 8pm we were back at the hotel by 8.30.

Friday , used our second lot of groupons this time with VIP Trans for the "royal circle tour" surprised by a call telling us we are now going with there "sister company" Roberts? A nice big big green bus turned up! I have done this tour a number of times and the bus driver knew when to speak and when not too. Was a great day which concluded at the dole plantation , with a dole whip and pineapple and the macadamia farm . Really enjoyed the trip.we got back by 4.30 in the afternoon which was great as you could plan dinner plans.

Talking about dinner plans, we went over to the cheesecake factory, our first time in the trip. Had a. 2 min wait - had the meatloaf and dad had fish and chips. Huge meal we couldn't eat it all and a reasonable price too. Plus it tasted good as well. It s a great atmosphere there too. We got some cheesecake to go (my fav is banana cream ).

It was time to pack as we leave on the Saturday morning. We had a great holiday to Hawaii. Aloha !

Hope you enjoyed the read ask me any question

John

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My trip review -from an Aussie tourist

Rangerjohn we spent like 30 mins at Costco , I brought jeans and few other things and got lunch. As we didn't have much on that day it really didn't effect the trip. I don't mind Costco , have visited the ones in he us mainland too

John

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: My trip review -from an Aussie tourist

A nice easy to read report, good use of "paragraphs".