We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on a shopping day for an Aussie

Tumut, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on a shopping day for an Aussie

I am planning on a shopping day on my upcoming holiday. I visited last year but didnt make it out to the Waikele Outlets so am thinking of headinbg there first (using P.G. Plover) and after checking out the outlets was thinking of getting a Taxi to Ala Moana centre to continue shopping there. Is a Taxi possiable and if so approximately how long would the travel time be and the cost?

Thank you for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,750 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on a shopping day for an Aussie

Head out to Waikele on the first PGPLOVER bus (about 9:30 depending on where you get on) and come back on the 2:00 o'clock run to Waikiki to your hotel. Drop your bags, change shoes, rub your sore feet and then head off to Ala Moana on the local bus or trolley. The shops don't close until 9:00.

If you decide to take your shopping to Ala Moana there are lockers you can use.

I've never used a taxi from Waikele, but an earlier post here suggested it would be about $70. How many would be splitting the cost?

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,750 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,241 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on a shopping day for an Aussie

I second over20kg's suggestion of getting the PGPLover bus back to Waikiki to drop your shopping off at the hotel before getting the bus or trolley to Ala Moana.

PGPLover may take you to Ala Moana if there are other passengers going there or staying at accommodation nearby.

Happy planning!

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,750 Reviews
Oahu, HI
South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on a shopping day for an Aussie

Just one day? :)

PGP will drop you off at Ala Moana so no need to spend up big on a taxi, save that for your shopping. However if you spend up big at Waikele you'll want to drop the bags back to the hotel.

Ala Moana is open till 9pm, except for Sunday when it is till 7.

http://www.alamoanacenter.com/

If you still have the shopping bug after all that, you can head behind Ala Moana to Walmart - they are open 24/7.

Mentioned in this post
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,750 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,121 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on a shopping day for an Aussie

If you are ready for some power shopping you will have an amazing day. The Tumi store at the outlet usually has some good deals on luggage.

I love Ala Moana Mall. There are many corporate flagship stores that make buying fun.

Mentioned in this post
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,750 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on a shopping day for an Aussie

I agree with Beeoo ... just one day?

Don't forget to take your passport to the information centre at Macy's and get a 10% discount card .. which will last a month at any Macy's store.

If you've been before, you'll know there is a small store in Waikiki .. but the Ala Moana one is larger ... there's a few others around the island as well.

Have fun ... don't forget to let us know what bargains you got.

Do you also know about Ross?

www.rossstores.com

They have a large store in Ward Avenue, behind the Ward Avenue shopping centre, near the Sports Authority store. Absolute bargains ... and not to offend, but if you're over 55 they give 10% discount on Tuesdays.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,750 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Tumut, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on a shopping day for an Aussie

Thank you everyone for your advice.

Will definately be shopping more than just the one day. (Planning on shopping all day this day as my husband is going back to Pearl Harbour for the day - we both spent the day there last year but he really wants to go back and see it all again at this own pace) I will be shopping everyday, especially in the evening after an early dinner. Carnt wait to find those great bargins that us Aussies get in Hawaii.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on a shopping day for an Aussie

Yeah I like to cruise out in the evening after early dinner and grab some more shopping bags filled with awesome. :)

One thing I will mention - if you have never been to Bubba Gumps at Ala Moana and you are a fan of the movie Forrest Gump, that should be on your list of places to eat. :)

Mentioned in this post
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,750 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on a shopping day for an Aussie

I prefer Red Lobster to Bubba Gumps .. but we all have our favourites.

Red Lobster is on the bus route to Ala Moana Shopping Centre .. just past the Hilton.

They offer you the usual soup or salad with your meal, plus some delicious warm cheesy rolls.

Mentioned in this post
Red Lobster
Red Lobster
932 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,750 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on a shopping day for an Aussie

Better then Red Lobster - behind them is a dingy bar / restaurant overlooking the marina. Great food and cocktails at a cheap price!

Mentioned in this post
Red Lobster
Red Lobster
932 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,550 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on a shopping day for an Aussie

On the right side of the page, there is a Top Question, Shopping for Aussies.

It will take you to a couple of good forum threads.