We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report May 2012

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report May 2012

Hawaii Trip report 2012

I apologise in advance if this seems quite boring to some, but please bare in mind

That I travelled with husband and twin boys aged 5. , so limited as to what we could do. nevertheless we had an amazing time

we arrived at Honolulu airport at 11am

Passed through customs smoothly and were greeted with a fresh flower lei,

Couldn't have asked for a more Perfect  start to the holiday

The weather was amazing, could not wait to check into the hotel , shower and get into some summer clothing

We all jumped into a taxi, ride to hotel took 25 minutes , traffic was flowing

Taxi cost $35 with tip included

Sandy at the holiday Inn greeted us with a smile, check in took about 5 minutes

We were given room keys for the 10th floor.

After we got cleaned up, we took a walk down to Waikiki beach, and enjoyed the rest Of the afternoon enjoying the sights and sounds around us.

Early night for all

THe next morning we decided to try Eggs N things, to be honest we weren't that impressed.

Will probably be the last time we go.

we had breakfast most days at the food court at the Royal Hawaiian. They offered bagels, toast sandwiches, eggs etc

We jumped on a Pink trolley ($2 per person, free for children under 6)

I believe if you are staying at certain hotel like the Ohana East, the pink shuttle is free

we spent a few hours at Ala Moana enjoying the stores

Our favorites were LEGO store ( most things were half the price of the Lego in Australia)

There were loose lego blocks in buckets near the front door, so the kids get to play and create which was really cool. My boys chose to buy the Ninjago spin arena and some Ninjago Lego. 

We also liked Macy's, Disney store, longs drugs, Victoria Secret, Sears, Bath & Body works.

The next day we followed the hubby to Hans Hedemann Surfing school for his first surf lesson. Although  he has had some experience in his younger years! He really enjoyed this day. Waikiki beach is known to be a beach with a point break, meaning the waves are long lasting rolling waves, perfect for beginners

Many of the surf beaches in Australia have waves the dump really quickly making it difficult to learn.

We saw some great surfing action, guys turning girls upside on a board, all sorts of cool stuff. Hubby is adamant on buying a board now as the experience has enriched his love of the water.

hubby also did a half day nature tour where they got to see some of Oahu's flora and fauna

He really enjoyed the tour.

The same night We decided on  dinner at the cheesecake factory. Our wait was approximately 1 hour. We decided on sharing meals which worked out great, as the portions are far too big. I ended up on going with Dessert, but felt sick afterwards.

The following day we decided to rent a car and drive around the island. This was definitely a highlight for me. We rented a red convertible chevi camaro fitted with booster seats and all.The  drive around the island took all day as we stopped at the famous Beaches, 

Kailua and Lanikai beaches, just so beautiful. We also went through the famous north shore beaches, Sunset beach, Waimea Bay, Banzai  pipeline. This area was also stunning. WOuld  like to see it in the winter next time.  I would highly recommend hiring a car and seeing the whole island, we are planning on doing it again next time but over a couple of days so we can stop longer.

I pretty much stopped documenting what we did each day from this point on

This is my 4th time to Hawaii, and husbands 1st, so I wanted to make sure that he got to do as much as he could.

He did a half day tour out at Kualoa Ranch. They filmed movies such as Godzilla, 50 first dates , Jurassic Park, and Lost. They also went quad bike riding which he really enjoyed.

I decided to visit the Ward centre and check out the shopping here. the kids and I caught the no 19 bus out here. It is another 2 minutes further up the highway from Ala Moana

I didn't like it as much as Ala Moana as the stores are further apart and you really need a car to explore this area of shops. The kids and I walked miles that day from one store to another. we liked Ross Dress for Less, Toys R Us (very small store) Tj maxx

we also had a day out at Waikele shopping outlets. We called PG glover the day before and booked our seats on the 9.55am pick up outside the Dukes Statue. 

They seemed to be a little disorganized with getting everyone seated, but other than that everything went smoothly.

Waikele in my opinion is worth going to if you have the time. I didn't find it incredibly cheap, but there are definitely bargains to be found. 

I enjoyed the perfume outlets, Skechers, Converse stores

We took a walk across the road to KMART. now I loved Kmart. I found the range of Drugstore make up here huge, better than Longs at Ala moana , and Walmart. 

I was sure to stock up here. could have done some serious damage but we ran out of time

Another great place for make up was Walgreens at Ala moana.

Husband took kids to the Aquarium, he said that although small, it was a beautiful aquarium. They absolutely loved it. $9 for adults,  free for kids under 4 ( accompanied by an adult) . 

$2, 5- 12 yrs old, $4, 13. - 17 years of age. Very affordable and great place to spend the afternoon.

husband also did the hike up Diamond head Crater, took about 25 minutes. His tip was to wear decent shoes as there are a lot of stairs. he saw people climbing with Flip flops.

The view was amazing, another highlight of the trip

husband also took a helicopter trip around the island with Blue Sky helicopter tours.

This was the best thing he did according to him and would highly recommend it

The pilot narrated the whole flight around the island, was very professional and knowledgable.

we had such an amazing 14 days. If we weren't on any tours, we were either swimming at Kuhio beach or at our pool,  Shopping or eating.

THings that I will miss -

The Hawaiian music playing everywhere

The amazing weather

The beautiful beaches

The beautiful people

The great shopping

The atmosphere

Cold Stone creamery, yum yum,!

Relaxing in general

a huge thank you also to James at the Expedia desk at the Beachcomber holiday Inn

We booked a few tours through James and he was an absolute gem.

always so helpful and happy to have a chat , my twin boys really enjoyed saying hello to him everyday. We will miss his infectious happy personality, see you next year James!

we hope to return next year where we will definitely also visit Maui or Kauai.

my twin brother is off to Hawaii this coming Tuesday, if only I could hide in his luggage : )

Thanks for reading , hope you enjoyed x

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Waikiki Beach
Waikiki Beach
14,523 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,666 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Lanikai Beach
Lanikai Beach
2,620 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waimea Bay
Waimea Bay
1,017 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kualoa
Kualoa
3,310 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Ward Centre
Ward Centre
152 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Diamond Head Crater
Diamond Head Crater
385 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kuhio Beach
Kuhio Beach
483 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report May 2012

So glad you enjoyed your visit. That's what vacation (and life) is all about.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report May 2012

Wow, a nice "easy" to read report. Great use of "paragraphs". {}":|\[

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,689 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report May 2012

Thanks for the report, twinnies!! Sounds like you had a great time. Your dh is one lucky guy!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report May 2012

thanks for your report. It sounds like you and your family had a great time. I'm going in October for 10 days and afraid that I won't have time to do everything I want- especially after all the wonderful things you mentioned.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Treasure Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
5,978 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report May 2012

Been nearly a year since we visited, your TR brought it back , thanks for posting....

Christchurch...
Level Contributor
235 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report May 2012

Thankyou so much for that report we are heading over in October and I just loved reading this and got alot from it.

Thankyou.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report May 2012

I agree so much with your "things I will miss" list! Such a fun trip you all had...thanks for the report!

P.S. Is there room in the suitcase for me?

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
21,019 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report May 2012

Very nice trip report. I'm glad you rented a car for the day to see the north shore. How did you and your husband find the driving? Easy or hard? Any tips for other international visitors driving the island?

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report May 2012

Love your Trip Report. Lots of good details and fun to read. Not boring at all.

Sydney
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report May 2012

Great! We are going in 2 weeks (sooo excited!!!).. with our 2 kids (9 & 6) also from Oz. We too are staying at the Holiday Inn.. how did you find it? We have 5 nights there and another 4 nights at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Were you able to get an early check in at the Holiday Inn? We are arriving on the 7am Jetstar flight and I am concerned about the kids having to wait till 3pm to get into the room.