We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extra Suitcases - Take from Home or By in Waikiki

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Extra Suitcases - Take from Home or By in Waikiki

We are planning on doing a bit of shopping whilst over in Waikiki in May,

Should I take extra cases from home, as I will need to buy them, or shall I purchase in Hawaii? . Waikele have the Samsonite outlet for example.

Thanks

Edited: 4:08 pm, March 07, 2012
Seattle
Level Contributor
55,559 posts
22 reviews
64 helpful votes
1. Re: Extra Suitcases - Take from Home or By in Waikiki

I'd just buy something cheap with a Hawaiian print. There are ALL kinds of shops around Waikiki selling ALL kinds of suitcases. You are not the only one with this "problem" -haha! suze

Canada
Level Contributor
9,573 posts
49 reviews
31 helpful votes
2. Re: Extra Suitcases - Take from Home or By in Waikiki

Buy it in Hawaii

I suggest checking out the Ross stores for good pricing on Luggage and quality pieces.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
350 posts
10 reviews
38 helpful votes
3. Re: Extra Suitcases - Take from Home or By in Waikiki

Just buy a cheapie bag when you there from the marketplace. That is our plan as we have done it twice before. We now have 2 frangipani print bags that are awesome for weekends away!

Edited: 4:21 pm, March 07, 2012
M K
Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
4. Re: Extra Suitcases - Take from Home or By in Waikiki

There is a new T J Maxx that just opened. It's always been our fave for luggage.

If you are thinking of bringing luggage from home, I'd check with my airlines fee policies first.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Extra Suitcases - Take from Home or By in Waikiki

Thanks Guys, sounds like I should buy whilst I am there.

Thanks so much for your suggestions , 67 sleeps to go and counting!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
132 posts
8 reviews
18 helpful votes
6. Re: Extra Suitcases - Take from Home or By in Waikiki

With me, when we got there and found out we were flying home with Hawaiian air (due to Air Australia Collapse) we now had double the luggage allowance, so I planned to buy a cheap suitcase there...

I went to Ross, Walmart and a few others and didn't see any suitcases under $70- I wasn't even looking for a good suitcase, I just wanted a basic cheap suitcase, and due to USA being cheaper on most things, I was very surprised considering at home I've bought suitcases for $40. I had to go to the Aloha Stadium market just to get a suitcase, and was able to buy a large duffle bag on wheels for $25.

If you're not going to the market though, and not really looking for new luggage, I would just pack an empty suitcase in my suitcase.

Really depends on what you're looking for though- if you're looking to buy some nice new luggage when you're on the trip, then go for it :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
30 reviews
35 helpful votes
7. Re: Extra Suitcases - Take from Home or By in Waikiki

I agree with #6.

I always bring my own extra bag

I didnt see any real good CHEAP luggage either,wallmart in florida didnt have anything when i needed it either..

I bring my own extra bag,,i use a extra large duffle bag type with wheels,,they are lightweight and fold up in your suitcase,if it dont fit,,your packed too much in the first place..You can fit just as much or more than a suitcase in them,,just keep your bulky stuff in the suitcase and leave the soft stuff for the duffle bag

Ive got mine from op shops/garage sales($5/$8),,so be on the hunt well before you travel.i see those bags in my travels all the time.,but im always out in op shops and yard sales...

way better than putting a suitcase in empty suitcase

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
30 reviews
35 helpful votes
8. Re: Extra Suitcases - Take from Home or By in Waikiki

your got 67 sleeps to go,,so when your out and about on the weekend call into a few garage sales..

all money saved adds up..to be spent on better stuff

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
30,406 posts
9. Re: Extra Suitcases - Take from Home or By in Waikiki

"your got 67 sleeps to go,,so when your out and about on the weekend call into a few garage sales"

Great idea!

But if one has to buy a new one, it might as well be in Hawaii. You have many options for inexpensive luggage.

Swap Meet, International Market Place, WalMart, Ross, Sears, K-Mart, Waikele Outlets.

If you are in Hawaii on a Sunday, buy a newspaper & look through the ads.

You can also check ads online for most companies.

Bayonne, France
Level Contributor
11,349 posts
10. Re: Extra Suitcases - Take from Home or By in Waikiki

1. The TJ Maxx at Ward Centers doesn't open until May 3. The other two stores (in Pearlridge and Pearl Highlands) open a few weeks later.

2. Interesting on the lack of luck finding suitcases as Ross. Must be the store(s) you visited; as all have different inventory. But the Downtown Ross (on hotel Street) always seems to be chock-full of suitcases on the lower floor at prices between $15 and $30.