We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reef Hotel, Waikiki

Lewiston, Idaho
2 posts
Reef Hotel, Waikiki

What Hotel replaced the old Reef Hotel on Waikiki? I stayed there in 1969, a single female 19 year old traveler and was I surprised when I went into the lower level bar to buy a coke and saw the window into the swimming pool! Didn't go into the pool again!

86 replies to this topic
Dallas
Level Contributor
29,646 posts
85 reviews
49 helpful votes
1. Re: Reef Hotel, Waikiki

Only place that I can think of that could be would be the Outrigger Waikiki. Used to be able to go down to what if I remember correctly was called "Davy Jones Locker," which was a bar underneath the pool with windows looking at the pool from below.

That was later turned in to a workout room, and now I don't even know if it is in use anymore.

Outrigger Waikiki is located between the Royal Hawaiian and the Westin Moana/Surfrider. Hotel next door used to just be called the Surfrider before being taken over by Sheraton and combined with the Moana.

Bayonne, France
Level Contributor
11,349 posts
2. Re: Reef Hotel, Waikiki

Nothing replaced it...

The Outrigger Reef is still there.

Although the viewing window into the pool is long gone.

However, the Reef Towers was renamed (Wyndham Waikiki) and the Reef Lanai was demolished (site of Trump Waikiki).

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
24 reviews
95 helpful votes
3. Re: Reef Hotel, Waikiki

I remember Dany Jones Locker! Those bars with windows to a pool were a big deal back in the 60's.

So glad the old Reef has been replaced with the new, however. It used to be the "sub" bargain hotel on the beach, and was the kind of place that if my dad found out that a friend was staying there, he'd pick them up and make them stay at our house.

Bayonne, France
Level Contributor
11,349 posts
4. Re: Reef Hotel, Waikiki

The hotel has not been replaced....

It is comprised of the same three buildings as old man Kelley built half a century ago.

But it was extensively refurbished, finished for a couple of years now, to the tune of several hundred million dollars. So much of it is like new.

California
Level Contributor
574 posts
23 reviews
69 helpful votes
5. Re: Reef Hotel, Waikiki

Wow I remember both the Reef Tower and the Reef Lanai! The Reef Tower was the first hotel I stayed at in Waikiki. I was so impressed with the Diamond Head view and the turquoise wall scenery. The view (at the Wyndham) may now be obstructed with high rises.

We enjoyed the Reef Lanai even though the rooms weren't anything special.

The views were outstanding and we enjoyed great mai tais from an adjacent bar. The staff was very friendly and there was a little courtyard and laundry area on the first level. Good memories.

I do think there was confusion with 3 hotels all having the word," Reef " in their name.

Dallas
Level Contributor
29,646 posts
85 reviews
49 helpful votes
6. Re: Reef Hotel, Waikiki

amberloo - I never knew about the window into the pool at the OR, but I do remember the underwater windows into the pool at the OW.

I would assume those will be gone after the current pool renovations are completed.

Just like Vegas, all the good stuff is going away !!! LOL

Lewiston, Idaho
2 posts
7. Re: Reef Hotel, Waikiki

Yes, the views were fantastic. Woke up the first morning to full view of Diamond Head and the ocean for 10 mornings and will never forget it. Fun days in the sixties.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
24 reviews
95 helpful votes
8. Re: Reef Hotel, Waikiki

Amberloo- Correction duly noted! I should have said refurbished, not replaced, although it has certainly been extensively refurbished! Still the same great location, though.

Bayonne, France
Level Contributor
11,349 posts
9. Re: Reef Hotel, Waikiki

No worries Mac...

But I want to pose a trivia question to all Reef fans.

In the late 70s and early 80s, Outrigger basically sold "naming" rights to the Reef and Reef Towers hotels.

What was the hotels called during this time?

Tick, tick, tick.

I'll stand for a couple Shorebird happy hour Mai tais for the correct answer.

Bayonne, France
Level Contributor
11,349 posts
10. Re: Reef Hotel, Waikiki

No worries Mac...

But I want to pose a trivia question to all Reef fans.

In the late 70s and early 80s, Outrigger basically sold "naming" rights to the Reef and Reef Towers hotels.

(OK, it was more complex than that.)

What were the hotels called during this time?

Tick, tick, tick.

I'll stand for a couple Shorebird happy hour Mai tais for the correct answer.

Reply to: Reef Hotel, Waikiki
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted