For all those Aussies heading over to Honolulu soon, some special notes from someone still regretting not buying things she saw even though she came home with 80kg of luggage. :)
1. A lot of US companies will not accept an Australian credit card for purchases online EVEN IF you have a very good friend in the US willing to have the purchases shipped to them which they will then ship on to you.
A couple of current examples - Bath and Body Works, Skechers, Macys.
I am having to transfer the money to my US friend via paypal and he is buying them on his credit card and having them shipped to him.
2. It is a lot cheaper to buy stuff in Hawaii and ship it back to yourself than to get home and try to source it here.
3. Things like the awesomely scented body lotions from Island Soap and Candle Works (found in the ABC stores) smell *a lot* better when you arrive back in Australia. So buy a bunch of them and ship them to yourself, you will not regret it. Especially the pineapple flavoured shea butter body cream.
4. If in doubt, buy it and ship it home.
5. There is no such thing as too much underwear when you can buy it so cheap over there. Because when you arrive home and find the same thing for 4 times the price, you will firmly kick yourself and anyone else within kicking distance.
6. This applies equally to men, who I am currently organising a shipment of underwear for, because they did not buy enough of them when they were there!!
I have not bought one item of clothing since returning home in December because I did buy plenty of what I saw and liked, but I still wish I'd bought more pairs of Skechers, they are the awesome and so comfortable and light, and retailing there for $69 when a two year old model retails in the shops here for $150. :(
So save up before you go, buy it there, save money in the long run even if you have to ship it back here it will be cheaper!
(for those wondering, Dad is doing great but I will know he is fully healed when he starts talking about booking the next trip! :) I estimate this will be in approx 2 months time)