We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

current vog conditions in honolulu

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
current vog conditions in honolulu

what is the current conditions with the vog in honolulu today jan 18 2012? Is the air still compromised badly that you must stay indoors? Is it still good to visit there next week?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,365 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: current vog conditions in honolulu

It hasn't been so bad that we would stay inside. Unless you have a very bad case asthma or some other lung disorder. It's not as bad today as it has been the last day or two and according to the local weather forecast is supposed to clear up as the week goes on. Makes for interesting and beautiful sunrises and sunsets.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: current vog conditions in honolulu

I have asthma and it's not affecting me too bad.

Orcas Island, WA
Level Contributor
125 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: current vog conditions in honolulu

What is "vog"? vapor-fog?

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,735 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: current vog conditions in honolulu

It's been nasty here (South Kihei, Maui) for three days. TV weatherman says it will lift tomorrow afternoon, be nice through Sunday...then Kona winds again -- don't know for how long. I have asthma and once contracted pneumonia here so I am limiting outdoor time.

Kona winds are from the south. They spread the volcanic fumes from the active volcano's eruptions throughout the islands.

Edited: 6:35 pm, January 18, 2012
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,784 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: current vog conditions in honolulu

Vog, what vog? All I see looking out my window is a lot of "white" vog.

And it is 18 degrees, expected to drop to zero.

Actually the vog did bother me a few times on Oahu, but not very often & only made my eyes burn a little.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,365 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: current vog conditions in honolulu

Oh, poor dusty, white fog and all!! Sorry it's snowing in Minnesota!! Land of white and lakes I believe!! As far as the vog, it's not as bad as I've seen it in the past. At least I can still see Diamond Head!!

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: current vog conditions in honolulu

We were there from December 19 thru January 12. Had 3 bad days around January 6 and DH got a sinus infection (always does with VOG) and then I got bronchitis (1st time for me), and then it started coming back in about the day before we left.

Can't really tell when it will come in!! Just hope for trade-winds!!!!!!!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,707 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: current vog conditions in honolulu

Freestyle, there's really no way to predict what the vog will be like next week. It depends on the wind direction and what the volcano decides to do.

Orcas, VOG is volcanic fog. Sort of like SMOG but produced by the volcano's emissions.

Edited: 8:49 pm, January 18, 2012
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: current vog conditions in honolulu

I didn't know what "vog" was, either, so I looked it up on Google(our friend) Chuck...

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
23,607 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: current vog conditions in honolulu

Aloha,

Great sunset this eve.

Hopefully it clears out tommorow

Aloha