We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report 1 - OMG the food !

Australia
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report 1 - OMG the food !

We arrived in Oahu about 10am after a long flight, we were able to get straight into our condo. Settled in and then headed off to do some exploring. Mid afternoon we decided to get some lunch at the Cheesecake Factory and experienced our first OMG moment with food, not Hawaiian food as such, but USA food. My daughter ordered a peanut butter, banana & honey milk shake - OMG, we were fighting over it. To follow our pizza we had a Red Velvet cheese cake which was big enough for the 5 of us to share. Over our two weeks we managed to try about 5 or six different types of cheese cake. We tried to get in for Christmas lunch but the wait was to long. We didn't do "fine dinning" as this would not be appreciated by our 3 teenagers. We did Denny's a couple of times and the sheer volume of food that is served was overwhelming. We had a lovely dinner at , I think, The Tropical, up near the Hilton Village. The food was nice but the OMG moment was when the fireworks started just as we sat at our table and ordered our first cocktails. We had Christmas lunch at Dukes and really enjoyed the atmosphere. The food was good, but not OMG good until we ordered a piece of Houla pie which again was big enough for all 5 of us to share. We also had breakfast at Dukes one morning and that was excellent, would have gone again if time had permitted. Ate at Ala Moana food court on our second day and had Loco Moco and then spent the next 24 hours in the bathroom, that was not a good experience. On our last night we ate at Bubba Gumps and the shrimp and service was our final OMG food moment. The waiter kept us all amused with his impersonations of Forest Gump and he quizzed the kids about the movie every time he came to the table, we had a lot of fun and a lovely meal.

Along the way we also ate at Giovanni's shrimp truck - OMG, and had a large serving of Dole whip at the Dole plantation - OMG. Hawaiian Host Caramacs were regularly consumed and Guava juice was a favourite.

To top all of this off i got home and tentatively stepped on the scales to discover i did enough walking to compensate for the food and didn't put on any weight. Yeah Hawaii !!! So much more to to do and eat, we will have to go again.

Edited: 4:42 pm, January 07, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,449 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Denny's
Denny's
1,029 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,750 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Giovanni's Shrimp Truck
Giovanni's Shrimp Truck
1,806 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Dole Plantation
Dole Plantation
5,032 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,832 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report 1 - OMG the food !

OMG- love it! lol

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report 1 - OMG the food !

Ha! This is looking a bit like our TR, too, that I just posted!

Dallas
Level Contributor
25,839 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report 1 - OMG the food !

What do you people eat down there ?? LOL

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,550 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report 1 - OMG the food !

"What do you people eat down there ?? LOL"

Vegemite!

So it is no wonder they like food in Hawaii.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Dallas
Level Contributor
25,839 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report 1 - OMG the food !

dusty - O.K. I had to go google vegemite !! LOL

Now I understand !!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,899 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report 1 - OMG the food !

OMG, Cheesecake Factory, Denny's, Bubba Gumps....... just shoot me now :)

Mentioned in this post
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,449 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Denny's
Denny's
1,029 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,550 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report 1 - OMG the food !

Recent thread about vegemite:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k434890…

Australia
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report 1 - OMG the food !

Nothing wrong with Vegemite, it is awesome, we grew up on it. It is great on toast or on crackers with cheese. You can mix a spoonful into boiling water for a hot drink - not my thing though. It is also good for sugar cravings, just place a tiny bit on the end of your tongue and the saltness takes away the craving for sugar.(most times)

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report 1 - OMG the food !

Reading your report made me want another Dole Whip so bad.....my mouth is watering! Alas, you are closer to Hawaii than I am, so I guess I'll have to staunch that craving! We went to the Dole Plantation THREE times to get Dole Whips!!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Dole Plantation
Dole Plantation
5,032 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Australia
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report 1 - OMG the food !

Note to self - take vegemite on next trip to Hawaii to prevent repeated trips to Dole plantation and Cheesecake Factory.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Dole Plantation
Dole Plantation
5,032 Reviews
Oahu, HI
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,449 Reviews
Oahu, HI