We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress code

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Leandro...
3 posts
Save Topic
Dress code

There was a recent thread on the Maui forum regarding the casual dress allowed at Maui restaurants. Shorts universally allowed. Would this be the same for restaurants on Waikiki?

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress code

Almost all restaurants in Waikiki allow shorts. The exceptions would be the high end ones, such as La Mer, Michel's, etc..., where slacks are the norm.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress code

Pretty much the same for Waikiki, although you'll see more dressy attire mixed in at the better restaurants for dinner. I usually wear slacks instead of shorts for dinner, but a Hawaiian shirt is always acceptable.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress code

We haven't been to any restaurant on Oahu that requires a dress code. The few mentioned above just about covers it!! I haven't seen anything to me that would suggest people dress up here any more than they do on Maui!!

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,092 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress code

Ive been to Oahu about 20 or 25 times and never even taken a long pair of pants. Never gone hungry either !!

I'm guessing even LeMer, Michels or whatever will also let you in with shorts but I don't know that for sure. Lot's of great places to eat without any long pants !!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,885 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress code

I would never wear shorts at Orchids, La Mer, Alan Wong's, Chef Mavro, Michel's, the Hau Tree Lanai, Hy's Steakhouse, Salt Kitchen and Tasting Bar, Indigo, Duc's Bistro and maybe a half dozen other places.

Unlike Maui where the high end dining is designed for tourists, a lot of the high end places in Waikiki/Honolulu cater to locals as well who want to dress up a bit (wear long pants) when they go out. Several of the above do have formal dress codes so check before you go.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dress code

Dress code for La Mer: "Long-sleeved collared shirt or jacket required for gentlemen." And IMO: although it does not specify no shorts, one would probably want to wear slacks to go with the long-sleeved collared shirt or jacket.

Dress code for Orchids: "Dinner Service: Collared shirts and slacks for gentlemen, evening attire for ladies."

Call for the dress code if you are going to an upscale/fine dining restaurant just to be on the safe side.

There are plenty of restaurants to go to so don't worry if you do not want to wear slacks for dinner.

Edited: 3:41 pm, January 05, 2012
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,885 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dress code

Michel's at the Colony Surf, "Elegantly casual (slacks, collar shirt, shoes)"

http://www.restauranteur.com/michels/

Chef Mavro, "Attire: Aloha casual. Long slacks & a collared shirt for men"

http://www.chefmavro.com/reservations.html

Hy's Steakhouse, "Proper Attire Required", Open Table calls it "Business Attire"

http://www.hyshawaii.com/index.htm

www.opentable.com/hys-steak-house-waikiki

3660 On The Rise, "Dress Code: Dressy Casual"

honolulu.diningguide.com/data/d100144.htm

8. Re: Dress code

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, January 15, 2013