We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waikiki trip report Dec 14-21

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
76 posts
248 reviews
52 helpful votes
Waikiki trip report Dec 14-21

This will be a low key trip report for you all compared to the Aussie's. I'm 7 months pregnant and had to get some sunshine before I wasn't allowed to fly! I came here with my 13yo daughter. This is our 3rd time to Waikiki in 8 years. Previously I had been here in March of 2008.

This time we stayed at the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel. Beautiful oceanfront view and location, but I think I will stay somewhere else next time.

Favorite restaraunts were Eggs & Things, Cheeseburger in Paradise, Tiki's Bar and Coldstone ( I have a picky daughter!)

We hit the beach every day. On the last day we were there, the jellyfish warning signs were up but we didn't see any.

We went to the Waikele Outlet stores and caught a $13 shuttle with Rabbi.

We went to the Sea Life Park and my daughter swam with the dolphins. Expensive but worth it.

The zoo was great as always, but I was a bit dissapointed with the aquarium.

The highlight of the trip was a 6 hour kayak/snorkel excursion with Twogoodkayaks in Kailua. Beautiful and nice to get away from the hoardes of people for a day!

I didn't rent a car this time as I always do and it wasn't bad. We just took our time and walked everywhere.

I would suggest skipping Wolfgang Puck's take out at the street level of the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel. Tried it a few times and it was flavorless. Subway was much better.

Also beware of the Maui Divers jewelry in the Int'l Market. They want you to crack an oyster open for a pearl and then try to sell you a $300+ necklace!

The coconut cookies at Honolulu Cookie Co are the bomb! Wish I would have brought some back to AK!

We

Fairbanks, AK
Level Contributor
51 posts
1. Re: Waikiki trip report Dec 14-21

Nice report….

My wife orders cookies from the Honolulu Cookie Factory and haves them shipped to us here in Fairbanks. Keep your receipts and on your next trip to Hawaii take the receipts to the store and they will credit your punch card with the cookies you bought online.

I’ve always wanted to try Eggs & Things, we stay over on Lewers (2 blocks over) Street and have walked by there a few times an noticed there is always a long line waiting to get in. This year I’ll make a point to give it a go.

We too visit Coldstone and the Zoo and are usually able to find a 2 for 1 coupon for them.

I was just talking to a co-worker this morning who did the kayak/snorkel in Kailua about the same time you were there. He was telling how great it was also. I made a copy of the map he had of the area just this morning…. Small world.

We’re heading over again in February.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,272 posts
74 reviews
51 helpful votes
2. Re: Waikiki trip report Dec 14-21

Sounds like a relaxing holiday! Thanks for posting :-)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
55,867 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
3. Re: Waikiki trip report Dec 14-21

Thanks for the nice report, fast!! Appreciate it!!

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,415 posts
22 reviews
38 helpful votes
4. Re: Waikiki trip report Dec 14-21

I'm curious to know what disappointed you about the Waikiki Beach Hotel.

Room size or quality perhaps? It is a hotel that makes my short list when I flirt with the idea of going to Oahu instead of my usual Maui or Kauai.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
76 posts
248 reviews
52 helpful votes
5. Re: Waikiki trip report Dec 14-21

The room size was fine. I just thought for $155 a night it was a bit worn down. We had a few issues with our room but was told we couldn't change as there were no other ocean front rooms in that category available.

6. Re: Waikiki trip report Dec 14-21

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, January 23, 2013