We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 3 Dec - 13 Dec Shopping for Aussies

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
248 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 3 Dec - 13 Dec Shopping for Aussies

Firstly, I would like to thank you all for wonderful tips as we were first timers to Hawaii.

We are arrived in Oahu from Sydney on Saturday mid morning, straight to hotel at Outrigger Waikiki which was great, could not fault location, room was clean and service great. We then headed across the road to International Market Place where my husband discovered Dennys - great breakfast for only $3.25 for eggs, bacon and pancakes. It was breakfast at Dennys pretty much the every morning.

Back to hotel where hubby and kids off to the beach and my shopping expeditition begins. For Aussies I could not believe the bargains I found compared to prices we pay back home. My favourite store would have to be Ross Dress for Less - yes you have to go through racks of clothes etc but you can find some great bargains. I bought a Guess wallet for $17, Calvin Klein shoes for $20 and a heap of Nine West clothes ranging from $10-$25. I bought Skechers sunnies for $6, Calvin Klein sunnies for $8, Ralph Lauren socks for $8 for pack of 3, Osh kosh clothes starting at $3, 500 thread count bed sheets for king size bed for $40. I was there every day and coming back with bags much to hubby's dismay!!!

Forever 21 was another great store I bought a fully lined winter jacket for only $35 and that was full price. They have kids section, mens, plus size, shoes, accessories. They are opening a store in Sydney some time next year but I am sure the prices would not be the same.

Cosmetics was cheap as well MAC was half the price as well as OPI nail polish $7 a bottle compared to $20 back home.

Waikele Premium Outlets is a must go to place - I bought Levi jeans for $30, Tommy Hilfiger jeans for $25, polo tops for $15, tshirts for $8, Adidas soccer boots for $30, Guess bags starting at $25. Ala Moana Centre was great, went twice and only got through half of the centre.

We went to Cheesecake Factory a couple of times, food was great, Food Pantry to buy snacks and discovered Hi Steaks there great steak with rice and salad for around $7. We found a Japanese noodle restaurant in Kuhio Avenue but cannot remember the name but the food was great $4 for a bowl of udon noodles. The place was busy every night with queues lined outside. Of course the ABC stores, everything you need under one roof, from sandwiches, fruit salads, alcohol, souvenirs, makeup etc.

I absolutely loved it, the people are wonderful and friendly and thinking about next holiday in beautiful Oahu....

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort
Outrigger Waikiki Beach...
5,331 Reviews
Oahu, HI
International Market Place
International Market...
387 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Denny's
Denny's
1,029 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikele Premium Outlets
Waikele Premium Outlets
1,506 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,757 Reviews
Oahu, HI
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,462 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Food Pantry
Food Pantry
396 Reviews
Oahu, HI
HI Steaks
HI Steaks
247 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kuhio Beach
Kuhio Beach
496 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 3 Dec - 13 Dec Shopping for Aussies

I stand in awe of the Aussie shopper. Very nice report.

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 3 Dec - 13 Dec Shopping for Aussies

I love Aussie shopping reports!

I'm sure if I ever get down under, I won't be buying anything.

Is it taxes? or what's the reasons for the high prices I wonder, y'all are closer to where the products are made???

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 3 Dec - 13 Dec Shopping for Aussies

It sounds like a trip report I would write. I love all those stores, love the Cheesecake Factory. You go with just what you wear and bring home two cases full of bargains.

Ross' was a store I found on my last trip too - amazing place.

We found makeup at Longs Drugs at Ala Moana also had great makeup prices, ie Revlon.

A lot of their products in the store were also great bargains.

Calgarytroy: My son is here on holidays from the UK, and is surprised how expensive things are in the supermarkets and eating out. We have higher wages and don't tip like they do in the states. Penalty rates are added to wages for weekends and public holidays as well. We get 4 weeks leave a year. So someone has to pay for it all. So when you come down, bring all your clothes ... don't shop - just have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,757 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 3 Dec - 13 Dec Shopping for Aussies

Thanks for the TR Sophie!!

What type of excursions/sights did you guys take in? We've been before, but are traveling with 5yo daughter next year (her first OS trip ever).

I'm super excited about the upcoming shopping bargains - definitely going over with empty suitcases in anticipation of filling them up to capacity ;)

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,241 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 3 Dec - 13 Dec Shopping for Aussies

Sounds like a great trip and that you got some bargains! I love Aussie shopping TR's. Thanks for posting!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
895 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 3 Dec - 13 Dec Shopping for Aussies

We've just returned from a RTW trip, with our last stops in America where we shopped and shopped and shopped! We have just discovered we have enough FF points to go to Hawaii, so I have much more shopping planned. I know it won't be as cheap as NYC and San Francisco, but I'll have much more room for purchases and can't wait. We were there in 2005 and loved it, but this is the first time it will be our only destination, so I'm already making a list of what and where to buy.

So thank you for your TR.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 3 Dec - 13 Dec Shopping for Aussies

Thank you for your TR ! Got me very excited - I'm less than a week away now!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
248 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 3 Dec - 13 Dec Shopping for Aussies

Hi Nataustralia, we did the outrigger canoe ride which was great and I'm sure your 5 yr old would love it also went on a catarman for a couple of hours which I really enjoyed and also took the kids on the Atlantis submarine which was great as well but not if you are claustrophobic. Had all intentions of going to Pearl Harbour and the swap and meet markets and diamond head but didn't have enough time. Next time will go for 2 weeks. You will have a wonderful time.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
248 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 3 Dec - 13 Dec Shopping for Aussies

Hi Nataustralia, we did the outrigger canoe ride which was great and I'm sure your 5 yr old would love it also went on a catarman for a couple of hours which I really enjoyed and also took the kids on the Atlantis submarine which was great as well but not if you are claustrophobic. Had all intentions of going to Pearl Harbour and the swap and meet markets and diamond head but didn't have enough time. Next time will go for 2 weeks. You will have a wonderful time.

Sydney
Level Contributor
293 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report 3 Dec - 13 Dec Shopping for Aussies

amazing trip report. :))))

now i want to go back. :))))