We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at the Moana Surfrider.What to wear for dinner?

Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Staying at the Moana Surfrider.What to wear for dinner?

How formal is it for dinner.I have been told to dress smart casual.Does this mean long pants.

Would chinos be OK..

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,995 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at the Moana Surfrider.What to wear for dinner?

There are very few places that place limits on dress in Hawaii. Anything other than tank tops and bathing suit would be fine. I usually wear a Hawaiian sundress or capri's and a nice top. DH wears shorts and an Aloha shirt. Some men prefer long pants and that's ok too. This just pertains to dinner, for lunch, you can usually go with a bathing suit and cover up!!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,658 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at the Moana Surfrider.What to wear for dinner?

At the top restaurants in Honolulu, I wear long pants, khakis or grey flannels usually with an aloha shirt tucked in, some times I wear a sport coat, but not often. Other than 10 or 12 top places, shorts are more than acceptable for dinner.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,995 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at the Moana Surfrider.What to wear for dinner?

ahh, scottca, that is personal choice though, not required!! You tuck in an Aloha shirt? Man, you need to lighten up!! LOL!!

EC
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at the Moana Surfrider.What to wear for dinner?

Yes, chinos would be okay.

Lots of guys in shorts dining there, too.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,658 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at the Moana Surfrider.What to wear for dinner?

>>>ahh, scottca, that is personal choice though, not required!! You tuck in an Aloha shirt? Man, you need to lighten up!! LOL!!<<<

What will get you into a restaurant isn't the same as what you will comfortable in compared to the other diners.

And I tuck my Reyn Spooners in for business, church and about six restaurants in Honolulu, which is about the same times I wear shoes and long pants in HI.

Other than that, the Spooner is untucked, no shoes and no long pants.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,274 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at the Moana Surfrider.What to wear for dinner?

If you are comfortable in shorts and a T...give it a try! When I am spending lots of bucks for a dinner I feel better dressing like I can afford it! It may be pretend...but it does feel good!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,995 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at the Moana Surfrider.What to wear for dinner?

Would it be different if the shirt wasn't Reyn's and bought at K-mart?!! Just joking for sure, but..................

"What will get you into a restaurant isn't the same as what you will comfortable in compared to the other diners".

I go to a restaurant for the meal, I don't give a hoot what other's are wearing!!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at the Moana Surfrider.What to wear for dinner?

"You tuck in an Aloha shirt? Man, you need to lighten up!! LOL!!"

Magnum PI always tucked in his aloha shirt...is there anyone more lightened up than Magnum? :)

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,829 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying at the Moana Surfrider.What to wear for dinner?

"I go to a restaurant for the meal, I don't give a hoot what other's are wearing!!"

I totally agree with msfuzz.

scottca -- oh noooo! Tugging in is so 80's! (grandeau just made my point! Magnum PI = 80's.)

Back to the original question. Other than La Mer that has a dress code which requires long-sleeved collared shirts or jackets for guys, I do not recall any other Oahu restaurants that specifies a dress code. Now wearing shorts with long-sleeved collared shirt or jacket (for a guy) might be a fashion statement I am not aware of.

Strange how no restaurants (that I am aware of) specify a dress code for women; likely because most of us like to dress up a bit for nice dinners?

For what it is worth, DH and I had dinner at Beachhouse at the Moana 2 years ago and I did not see anyone in shorts.

Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying at the Moana Surfrider.What to wear for dinner?

Many thanks for all your help.