We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping season

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
4 helpful votes
Shopping season

Hi,

I'm an Aussie who's off to Oahu and Maui in a couple of weeks... super excited!

I was really looking forward to shopping in Honolulu but a couple of friends have told me they were disappointed. They said you could only buy really summery, resort style clothes and they didn't find a good range of stores in Waikiki.

Just wondering what kind of range I can expect in stores like Gap, Banana Republic, J-Crew, Aldo and Victoria's Secret? Is it basically the same range they have in stores across the country? Or do they just have resort collections?

I want to be able to buy summer clothes, work clothes and lots of shoes.

Ta.

Sydney,NSW
Level Contributor
361 posts
11 reviews
52 helpful votes
1. Re: Shopping season

Sorry to hear your friends were disappointed. I am an Aussie and have been to Oahu 9 times. I absolutely LOVE the shopping. I have a feeling that maybe your friends didn't venture out of the Waikiki hotel area? Just a few minutes on a bus, will take you to Ala Moana, the hugest Mall with sooooooooo many stores. Check out their website.

Also, Waikele Outlet Mall is fantastic, and has many brand label stores and the prices are amazing (for us Aussies especially).

If you would like any help with shopping tips..send me a message and I am more than happy to give you a big list of shopping centers and stores :)

Carla

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Shopping season

Thanks heaps Carla, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't know about Ala Moana and the outlet mall.

I appreciate the reassurance as I was starting to get worried and think maybe I should head to the shops in Melbourne before I leave!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
38 reviews
36 helpful votes
3. Re: Shopping season

I came back last week and went to Ala Moana. The fall (autumn) clothes have already hit the shops and there were very few summer clothes left in stock or on sale.

Gledswood Hills...
Level Contributor
222 posts
34 reviews
30 helpful votes
4. Re: Shopping season

I thought they had a good range of clothes. I was surprised to see the winter gear in the shops too!!!

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
3,114 posts
93 reviews
50 helpful votes
5. Re: Shopping season

I was there in October last year and I found plenty of great stuff. You do have to look in the right places and be willing to hunt about on the racks.

Macys will likely still have a lot of good stuff on clearance racks as will Sears, Nordstroms and Nordstrom Rack and Ross Dress for Less.

Edited: 7:22 am, September 21, 2011
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,307 posts
104 reviews
14 helpful votes
6. Re: Shopping season

I'm always surprised at this time of the year how much fall and winter clothing you can find for sale at the Ala Moana mall. The store displays sometimes look more like they belong on the mainland than in Hawaii. I have been told by an executive for one of the flagship stores at Ala Moana that they sell so much product to mainlanders, Japanese and other tourists that they go with a fall line of fashion. It seems funny walking through the Mall with 80 degree temperatures looking at fall clothing displays.

The Ala Moana center is a flag ship for numerous stores. About 3/4 of a year ago I flew with some of the management of Victoria's Secret. I was surprised to learn that stores send their executives in from New York to set up the store for new lines and displays. Ala Moana while thousands of miles from the Big Apple is a major player for the corporations.

If you get away from Waikiki you will find many nice stores with a lot of fashion that should meet your needs.

australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
81 reviews
97 helpful votes
7. Re: Shopping season

I just got back a couple of weeks ago. I was initially disapointed that there were not that many sales. I found Ala Moana and Waikikilee were not as cheap as i expected. There are bargains to be found in these places, it all depends what you are looking for. I found the local shops had some great sale racks. Macys had a 25%off everything sale which was amazing. Footlocker, Micheal Korrs, Mac makeup, Victorias secret, Swarovski , forever 21 were a few shopsin waikiki that are very cheap just to mention a few. Overall i was happy and could have spent $1000s more.

So enjoy the experience .

Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
14 posts
38 reviews
32 helpful votes
8. Re: Shopping season

Hi Madso! I live on Oahu and can tell you that the earlier posts are correct. In Waikiki, Ala Moana is our largest shopping mall that has both high end and regular department stores along with other things such as a post office, dry cleaners, and a grocery store. Macy's always seems to have a sale every weekend, and there's a big ad in our local paper right now. Ward Warehouse is also another shopping center/complex that is very close to Ala Moana. It's actually made up of several "areas" that consist a theater, restaurants, Patagonia, Crazy Shirts, and smaller boutique stores if you're looking for something a little more unique, to name a few. Also, within the same area is Nordstrom Rack which is where I love to shop. The prices are great for name-brand clothes. Waikele Outlet Shopping Center is about 15 miles away, but I believe there is a shuttle service available. You can also take our public bus for $2.50 one way. Depending on what you're looking for will dictate where you shop. As always, you can always ask a sales associate to point you to the sales racks. :) Enjoy shopping and Hawaii!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
38 reviews
36 helpful votes
9. Re: Shopping season

If you are planning on going to Waikele, the cheapest option I found was PG Plover for $10 return, they have a website. Only go there if you are staying more than a week. You waste a lot of the day and the bargains are hit and miss, like shopping at DFO in Aussieland.

Colorado
Level Contributor
234 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
10. Re: Shopping season

It's legal to hunt shoppers? How long does this season last??