We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report.

Australia.
Level Contributor
231 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report.

Hello everyone, I'll do my best to put down my thoughts, impressions & activities of what we got up to. This is the 1st of these I've done, so humour me. I didn't & don't keep a daily diary of what happened & what & exact time we ate, so here goes.

Flight was with Haiwaiian, nothing outstanding, good honest basic service, screaming kids, lack of sleep, uncomfortable seating (same with Qantas last year) We were late getting through immigration, had booked Hawaii 23 for the trip to our hotel (Waikiki Resort) they were there waiting for us, no problems so far.The hotel had our room ready & went straight up to shower & change. We stayed here last year & I think it;s starting to look a little tired, but the location for us is terrific, a very short block to the beach.

Hit Shorebirds for a few happy hour Mai Tai's, then went to Chart House for dinner,this place is a hiden gem ! Food & drinks were reasonably priced & quite good. When the fireworks start at HHV you just go downstairs & have a front row view from footpath. Next day

we walked up to Leonards Bakery for Malasada's, they are pretty good, but reminded me of Crispy Cream (this will surely draw howls of protest from the purists) anyway, did a bit of shopping at Safeways & then went out front to get a bus or shuttle back to Waikiki, Shuttle finally arrived but we were not allowed on as it was one of thos private thingys.We stood & waved them off & then trudged back to our hotel dragging the groceries with us. Buggered by the time we got home.

Got the shuttle out to Waikele & bought up like there was no tomorrow. Got some great bargains though. Lucky for us we took a 3rd suitcase with us, certainly needed it for trip home.

We had booked a hire car for 2 days & ventured up to the north shore. 1st day via Diamond Head, 2nd day via Dole Plantation,take my advice & avoid this tourist trap if you can.

We had shave ice at Matsumoto's, shrimp at Giovanni's & stopped where & when we wanted. Great area, like another world when you get away from Waikiki.

We ate at Cheesecake Factory a couple of times, it's a great spot. Ate at the Red Lobster a couple of times, once at Senor Frog (that was once too many) A place we stumbled on in Kuhio St; was Dennys.Food was good, service good, price good.

The 1st Friday of each month, Honolulu has concerts, exhibitions etc. We went down there & were lucky enough to be able to attend a performance by classic guitarist & cello player in the building where Hawaii 50 is shot. Ai Iolani building/ court house ? Very enjoyable way to spend an hour. Later that day the Art Gallery I think, had a concert on the lawn. Started about 5.00pm with local artists, trapeze performers hanging from the tree's. There were food caterers, drink caterers & even mats provided to park your bum. We left a little early to get a bus back to Waikiki. All in all a very enjoyable day.If you are over there during the 1st Friday, do yourself a favour & get down to Honolulu.

We approached our hotel about upgrading, they let us have a look at a mini suite & partial ocean view room (we were in Mountain view room) & quoted $30 + tax extra per day, not a bad proposition.

After checking the rooms out we decided it wasn't worth the effort to shift, so stayed where we were. We also had a look at an ocean front room at the Circle Hotel, we were impressed. The rooms had recently been renovated, and although slightly smaller than what we had, we thought they were much more modern. The price was very reasonable, so would consider staying there.Also checked out a partial ocean view room at the Pacific Beach Hotel,it was very roomy & modern also.They had an on line sale before we left home but would not give this rate to a walk up, needed to book through the internet. Didn't have a laptop & considered it once again too much trouble & effort to swap hotels & have to drag all our shopping etc over there.

The Pacific Beach also had a Japanese festival of sorts on every Friday, Saturday & Sunday from 5pm to 9pm.This was in the parking area, and involved the bashing of very big Japanese drums, singing & dancing. It was a novelty the 1st night, but by the 2nd weekend I'd had enough of the bloody drums.Thank God for Uncle Jack ! Talking of Uncle Jack & his nephew Jim, the prices over there are astounding. I procurred a 1.75 litre of Jack at Foodland for $39-98 + tax. Made a great souvenir to bring home :)

We didn't do anything too exciting, just chilled out at the beach for a few hours every day, shopped, ate & drank & just relaxed. The weather was just about perfect & the 2 weeks just seemed to evaporate, time to pack & head home before we knew it.

The new self check in machines at departure are great idea, talk about saving time!

Anyway, that's about it. We once again had a great time & thank Oahu & its residents for allowing us to stay there for such an enjoyable holiday.

I'm sorry that this is not such a riveting read, but just can't think of more to include at the moment. Things will come back to me after I've posted this, I'm sure.

Stroudie.

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report.

Thanks for taking the time to do the report, Stroudie. Sounds like a bit of reconnaissance was carried out for future Hawaiian missions?

Adelaide SA
Level Contributor
230 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report.

Thanks stroudie. A great read. Sounds like a great holiday . relaxing and shopping is what we Aussies do best in Hawaii !

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report.

2 weeks goes by so fast when you're having fun doesn't it Thank for your report.

Cheers,

Coco

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,689 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report.

Stroudie, thanks so much for a great report. Enjoyed reading it!!

California
Level Contributor
573 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report.

Thanks for the interesting report Stroudie. I've never bought a malasada & now that you mention they taste like crispie creams, glad I never have! lol, but I'm not a donut person so what can I say.

It's nice that you looked at other hotel rooms to compare as that will be a big help to other travelers.

I also agree with you on the Hawaiian airline seats being uncomfortable.

Sounds like a perfect vacation for you, glad you had a wonderful time.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,146 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report.

I detest Krispie Kreme and I LOVE fresh malasadas!

Great TR :)

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,241 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report.

Sounds like a fun trip. Thanks for sharing!!

Sydney
Level Contributor
499 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report.

Thanks Stroudie - esp for the info on the comparison in other hotel rooms. Something to keep in mind for return visits.

:)

unfortunately I didn't get as big a thrill out of the shopping at Waikele. I think if I was in need of sunnies, handbags, etc i might have gotten more out of it. In the end I bought things because I was there... I'll go more into my impressions when I do my trip report.

Sydney
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report.

Stroudie glad your experience at Denny's was better than mine. Not sure I could eat that food all the time though but it helped us out when we needed it and at 1am any food is good.

Agree with SydneyNicstar on the hotel reviews I was texting hotel names to myself as we were walking along on where I wanted to stay next time didnt think to go in and actually have a look at the rooms.

I found a few bargains at Waikele esp in the Levi's outlet. I really wanted to get a Coach bag whilst I was away but didnt really find anything I liked and the overbearing sales assistant were doing my head in. I did purchase a number of items from Aramni Exchange though.

10. Re: Trip Report.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, October 11, 2012