We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question for aussies-overshopped? post goods home.

Sydney
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
question for aussies-overshopped? post goods home.

G'day guys, has anyone 'overshopped' in Waikiki (or elsewhere in US) and had to post items home that you couldn't carry? was it expensive?

Also, as i'm there for 7 days, do i need to organise a 'shopping itinenary' or will dropping into the Ala Moana and Outlet Centres cover most shopping needs (hehe)

cheers

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,742 Reviews
Oahu, HI
perth aust
Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question for aussies-overshopped? post goods home.

Hi Johndory,

Recently got back from travelling USA and we shipped 2 boxes back to Australia.

Both via US Postal Service, one from Honolulu and the other from New York.

There is a smallish box that you can send back for approx $50.00 which has a max weight of 20lbs. We sent this one back from Hawaii as we were travelling and did not want the extra weight.

We then sent a larger box, which is the size of a beer box. This did fit a lot, but id cost approx $150.00 you pay by weight.

Both arrived all ok. I would suggest that you visit the USP service at Ala M oana. They will have both boxes on display. It was worth it to us as.

Cheers Mark

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Bendigo
Level Contributor
958 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question for aussies-overshopped? post goods home.

Agree with mark63perth that the UPS at Ala Moana is the place to get and check out boxes and costs - the other alternative is the post office upstairs in the International Market Place. If you also do a search on this site there have been LOTS of posts by Aussies about sending boxes/parcels home.

Mentioned in this post
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,742 Reviews
Oahu, HI
International Market Place
International Market...
382 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,065 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: question for aussies-overshopped? post goods home.

Aloha,

Yes, I've noticed how common a question this is. Mahalo for helping our economy, you Aussies.

John, there are lots of threads about Aussie shopping itineraries, too. Shopping pros, I tell you; you are truly shopping professionals.

Have at it. Have fun.

Aloha

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: question for aussies-overshopped? post goods home.

We owe, we owe and off to the shops she goes...

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,065 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: question for aussies-overshopped? post goods home.

Aloha, Harleynut,

I know she's told you this, "But look how much money we're saving by buying all this."

I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you....

Aloha

Mentioned in this post
Aloha Hawaii Tours
Aloha Hawaii Tours
1,255 Reviews
Oahu, HI
nwf
NSW Australia
Level Contributor
910 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: question for aussies-overshopped? post goods home.

Hi there,

Shopping is great until the bank statement arrives..Amen...NWF.

Sydney
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: question for aussies-overshopped? post goods home.

a BIG reason the 'S' word is kicked around so much by us aussies in these forums is because of the grreat AUD / USD exchange rate at the moment.

Usually AUD $1.00 will get approx USD $0.65-0.80, but currently AUD 1.00 gets us USD 1.06, hence us aussies getting very excited and going shopping!

How long the high rates last for, only time will tell.

I know 'search' is your best friend in these forums (as answered in at least 80% of postings) but its also good to post a question as usually there is someone out there willing to share there knowledge and recent experiences.

cheers

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: question for aussies-overshopped? post goods home.

Johndory69 - to answer your question if Ala Moana and the outlets will be enough shopping wise... Yes indeed it will be!!! Make sure you visit Nordstrom which is behind the Ala Moana centre as well. It's fab. Plus if you're staying in Waikiki make sure you go to Macy's. Macy's is open pretty late so you can do this anytime. Have fun!!!

Mentioned in this post
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,742 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Sydney, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: question for aussies-overshopped? post goods home.

I'm not sure which airline you are flying with, we flew with Hawaiian Airlines a few months ago and in addition to our 2 bags of 32kg each we paid for an extra bag. This cost a flat fee of US$80 regardless of whether we had 5kgs or 32kgs (you just pay for the extra bag)

With all of our extra shopping this was definately the cheapest option for us - and we had all our shopping with us, no waiting.

So we ended up with 5 bags of 32kgs and only paid US$80. You can't ask for better than that. I can't wait to get shopping again in a few months.

I hope that this helps.

10. Re: question for aussies-overshopped? post goods home.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, October 03, 2012