We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waimanalo Beach

Austin, Tx
Level Contributor
199 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Waimanalo Beach

We are staying at the Hilton Waikiki Beach hotel but would like to check out Waimanalo beach park. We aren't planning on renting a car so I am wondering if taking the bus is a good idea? I don't mind riding the bus but I hate to use half a day riding the bus just to go to the beach. Thoughts, suggestions?

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,511 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Waimanalo Beach

Aloha,

I would rent a car for 2 days to do some touring and beach time, Oahu has some great beaches.

If not , thats OK. You can go on the Bus. The ride to and back might burn up about 3 hrs.

Go early and have a great time,

Aloha

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,511 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Waimanalo Beach

Aloha,

Sorry, forgot to inform you that the ride over to Waimanalo will be fantastic in itself.

Worth the trip for sure.

Aloha

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,050 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Waimanalo Beach

Waimanalo Bay Recreation Area (Waimanalo Bay Beach) is my favorite beach on the island.

But, if I was not renting a car, I'd go to Kailua Beach & Lanikai Beach. You can walk from Kailua Beach to Lanikai Beach.

If you do go to Waimanalo Bay Recreation Area, get off at McDonald's. Take the street right next to McDonald's to the beach.

NORTH CAROLINA
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waimanalo Beach

Waimanalo Bay Beach is also our favorite and last trip we went to Bellows Beach since it was on a weekend and it was open to the public it is next door to Waimanalo.

You should consider renting a car for at least a day you can get one at the Budget location at the Hyatt just a few blocks from where your staying they open early and stay open till about 9pm so you could have it all day. You can look on this site the Waikiki location for budget they use is the one at the Hyatt just put in Waikiki pickup and dropoff they are usually cheaper than going directly thru Budget.

www.hawaiidrive-o.com/

nalo
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Waimanalo Beach

bus is good but watchout walking thru nalo neighborhood. Many people dont like tourist being at nalo. go kailua instead where tourist more welcome.

Bayonne, France
Level Contributor
11,349 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Waimanalo Beach

Three years away from posting your last anti-visitor rant and yet still full of hate nalobump ?

Pay him absolutely no mind Longhorns.

He is among the very last of a quickly dying breed (thank God). And he is just trying to "act bad". He's probably a 16 year-old haole boy from Pearl CIty using his Mama's computer.

You will have no problems whatsoever in Waimanalo; the vast majority of the folks there are wonderful, and EVERY LAST resident of the area respects the right of all to enjoy the beaches except this nene.

Plus, you get off the bus stop on the main road and just walk into the State Park entrance. You wouldn't be going through any neighborhoods.

Three lifetime posts, all with a disgusting attitude.

Sorry, we are not all like that over here and are ashamed of such a perspective.

Edited: 11:19 pm, May 25, 2011
Austin, Tx
Level Contributor
199 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waimanalo Beach

Thanks for the posts. I am determined to make it to Waimanalo Beach.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Waimanalo Beach

Waimanalo Beach is one of the most beautiful beaches on Oahu. I pass it on a very regular basis (the Windward Coast ride is my favorite in the world, even if a shorter route to my destination is possible) but there are a few caveats that, in all fairness, should be mentioned.

Waimanalo Beach Park is what you will be able to see, from the road, as you drive. It's gorgeous, no doubt about it, but you may be surprised to see scores of homeless along with their tents and belongings as you pass. Sad situation, and the odds are they will not bother you in the least.

The bathrooms are another issue. If you need to use them it's wise to go with a buddy. I've encountered some unsavory-looking characters in there and no longer use the bathrooms. In fact, with Kailua Beach two minutes away from my house I only go to Waimanalo if I want to show people sea turtles---loads of them there.

At Waimanalo Beach Park there will almost always be a cop car or two in the parking lot.

The Waimanalo Bay State Recreation Area (aka Sherwood Forest---named for the Robin Hood activities that it was once famous for) is further north as you drive. It's tucked back a bit and you have to go down a small road to get to it. Again, absolutely gorgeous, beautifully wooded with lovely ironwood trees. But stay by the lifeguard tower and get out by dark. Its secluded nature makes it a favorite hangout at night.

Here's a nice site with lovely pics and a map:

lotsafunmaps.com/Oahu/Waimanalo_Beach.html

Austin, Tx
Level Contributor
199 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waimanalo Beach

KMama, thanks for the heads up!

If my wife decides to use the restroom I will make sure and wait outside for her instead of letting her go in while I stay by the water.

I am sure there are many beautiful beaches I am not aware of. It just so happens my neice went to Wainanalo beach and I saw the pictures and decided I needed to see this beach.

Thanks again!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,511 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Waimanalo Beach

Aloha,

Good advice Kailua Mama.

Aloha