We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aussies - Anyone posted purchases back to Aus from Hawaii???

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Aussies - Anyone posted purchases back to Aus from Hawaii???

Hi

We are travelling to Hawaii in May and we are both keen shoppers. We took advantage of $600+ return airfares from jetstar but forget to check our baggage allowance (a measley $20kg) and excess baggage is a killer!

I just wanted to find out if anybody has previously posted parcels back to Aus and if yes is it cost effective and reliable????

Am looking forward to the bargains but dont want to pay a few hundred $$$$ to get them back home.....would defeat the purpose of getting a bargain!!

Cheers

Alley

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,684 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aussies - Anyone posted purchases back to Aus from Hawaii???

I wish I had posted things back.. that is my biggest regret.

Here is my plan for next time. I'm taking exactly this -

- the clothes I wear on the plane

- comfy walking shoes I wear on the plane

- hand luggage with medicines I need

- one spare outfit in the hand luggage

-one spare pair of shoes in the hand luggage (reliable sandal/flip flop)

That is *it!!* :)

The day we arrive, I'd head over to Ala Moana in the afternoon/evening and grab some bargains. The day after that I'd head to Waikele and grab more bargains. The rest of the time would involve more visits to Ala Moana and various other shopping locations.

Anyway I am saying this because it could be an idea for you.. I know for some people they would find it really hard to do this (and probably I would usually be one of them) but over the years taking shorter trips for a couple of days I have learned how to pack for that, so I feel reasonably comfortable packing very light knowing of all the bargains over there.

Much of what I took with me on the previous trip either didn't get worn or could have been left behind for the new things I got.

We had 32kg each thanks to travelling star class with Jetstar - we took 20kg with us, we came home with 65kg total! ;) And I could have doubled that so easily.

(let us not forget, our hand luggage was somewhat heavy but luckily they did not weigh it)

Happy shopping, you'll have a blast!

Mentioned in this post
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,666 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Alexandra Headland...
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Aussies - Anyone posted purchases back to Aus from Hawaii???

Hi..from one "Aussie" to another...I totally agree with "bedoo"...we have posted "excess" purchases back from Hawaii...it was from the Lahania PO in Maui...there are two types on international postage...Priority Air which they say takes approx 2 - 4 weeks....UPS much dearer...takes 5 - 8 days.

On our last trip we posted a package which could have been close to 10kgs...must have used the more expensive UPS...as it arrived 2 days after we arrived home. (Sunshine Coast Qld.)...I "think" it was approx $120.

Also have use Priority Air from San Francisco...memory a bit vague...but that was $90 for up to 10kgs...that parcel took 3 weeks...they go by weight...just like here. I am sure you could go online at UPS (United Postal Services)

& check out their international charges.

We are going to Hawaii in July & will certainly "try" & travel light as the shopping is amazing...specially with the $US at the moment.

beedoo...can I ask how you found Jetstar's "Star Class", we are flying back Star Class & going Air Pacific's Tabua class (their bus. class) using our Qantas FF Points...

Only problem will be flying Jetstar from Sydney to Brisbane economy, can someone advise their policy on their excess baggage rules, when you have flown Star Class International

Cheers Jules

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aussies - Anyone posted purchases back to Aus from Hawaii???

Look at USPS...I found UPS and FedEx to be very expensive.

USPS have a flat rate option for $55USD for 8kg but it's a rather small box, you won't fit much in that.

Should I myself go back to Hawaii, my plan is to take carry on ONLY, and then ONLY very minimal and buy everthing there. I was in HNL in Sep last year at the end of 3 1/2 weeks on mainland USA and had 3 suitcases with me (flew Air New Zealand, when baggage allowance was 2 pieces, now only one). I had to pay for the extra bag, but 2x overweight bags (WAY too much shopping).

Need to weigh up your options. Might work out cheaper just to pay for an extra checked in piece than sending things home.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,299 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aussies - Anyone posted purchases back to Aus from Hawaii???

You can estimate shipping here:

US Postal Service: www.usps.com

UPS (United Parcel Service): www.ups.com

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,684 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aussies - Anyone posted purchases back to Aus from Hawaii???

Star class was awesome. Food was great, service was great.

On the way home because the flight was during the day it seemed to take longer but again the service and food were excellent, and I daydreamed of all the shopping bargains I was leaving behind. :)

Alexandra Headland...
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Aussies - Anyone posted purchases back to Aus from Hawaii???

Thanks beedoo...good to hear such good report on Star Class.

Now all I need is for someone to comment on the domestic leg of Jet Star...re if they will charge for excess baggage!!!

I went on the USPS to check their charges for postage...it was an easy site to understand...from what I could see up to 15lbs...$95....up to 16lbs $100.

Couldn't work out the UPS rates...you need to be a "Rhodes" or "Harvard" scholar!!!

I guess it would be better just to ask if anyone has used UPS...& what their rates were for say a 15kg box to Australia???

Can tell you both times we have used USPS the staff have been very helpful & informative...as are most of the service people in the US.

Cheers Jules :)

Sydney
Level Contributor
222 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aussies - Anyone posted purchases back to Aus from Hawaii???

I haven't posted anything back yet (we go in sept) but I buy a lot of stuff from US and they have these Global Priority boxes for a fixed price. They are from the post office and is cheaper than Air Mail. They usually take 5- 7 days - 10 at the most.

Alexandra Headland...
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Aussies - Anyone posted purchases back to Aus from Hawaii???

Could you share with us...approx cost...just a guidline would do...eg.say 10kg global priority box?

I havn't heard of Global priority boxes...sounds great

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aussies - Anyone posted purchases back to Aus from Hawaii???

Thank you everyone for your comments!! I have had a little look into the options mentioned and the Global Priority Boxes through USPS seem like the cheapest option - 20lbs is about $58 which isnt too bad (thanks for the tip rileyinc!)..........much cheaper than the $280 jetstar want to charge for 10kg excess baggage! Next time i might have to check out star class!!!!

Everyone enjoy your upcoming trips....especially the awesome shopping that everyone raves about! Just under 4 weeks to go and I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Cheers

Alley

Sydney
Level Contributor
222 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aussies - Anyone posted purchases back to Aus from Hawaii???

Yep that price sounds about right. Some post offices are not too strict on the weight, if it fits in the box they will let it go through. Can't rely on that though!