We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report -- Final Part

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
48 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report -- Final Part

Tuesday Nov 30 – Saturday Dec 4

These days somewhat blurred together, so there’s no sense in going day-by-day. I will just highlight some experiences, since I can’t necessarily remember when we did them, lol! (A good result of a vacation, I think!)

Lanikai Beach – absolutely gorgeous, the prettiest beach we saw. The water is the most brilliant, almost neon turquoise, but very clear, and the sand is like powdered sugar. From Kailua you can walk but carrying all the beach stuff, and the sun, it is easier to drive. Unfortunately it rained fairly steadily and was super windy in Kailua Wed-Friday so we only were able to spend one day at this beach. It’s very popular for kayaking to some small offshore islands, but the winds prevented us from doing that. We did look into a half-day kayak rental in preparation for the activity and it was $55/day from Kailua Beach Rentals.

Sandy Beach Park – We passed this park on the way to Kailua from Waikiki and the inviting spread of sand and nice waves looked great. I looked up the beach and my guidebook and it is described as “one of the most popular beaches for body boarding, and also the most dangerous due to a viscous shore break. The lifeguards make more rescues here than any other beach.” And … we went there three days! LOL! Let me explain … I am a very poor swimmer and only go in the water to cool off and splash around a little, so I was content to just get my feet and lower legs wet in the surf and let the constant breeze keep me cool. My husband, who grew up surfing and body surfing was right at home in the water, though I worried a bit! It was amazing to see these skilled body boarders and boogie boarders slide down the huge waves, getting pummeled and flipped end-over-end just as often as they made spectacular rides. It was definitely more of a local, “cool” beach, and we enjoyed just chilling out there. (I was kept occupied reading on my Nook – an early Christmas gift – which I highly recommend!)

North Shore – We drove up route 83 (also the Kamehameha Highway) to see the promised monster waves and the Vans Triple Crown of Surfing event up there. Along the way the climate changed again: wetter, greener – very verdant. We saw the surfers and walked down the beaches a bit (Sunset Beach, Ekahai, Banzai Pipeline). The waves were big, but not as ferocious as at the Sandy Beach Park. We continued west to …

Waimea Bay Beach (North Shore) – This beach looked so inviting that we had to stop and hang out for a bit, even though it was late in the day by then. It’s in a fairy deep cove so it feels private and quiet. Supposedly it gets some really big waves, but not at that time. (I was able to go in – the undertow is amazingly strong, though, so you have to just wait for a wave to push you to the sand if you want to get out). There were several smaller kids in the water, too, so I wasn’t too worried. The waves were big enough to have fun floating (providing someone held you to keep you from floating away!) We also got to have an amazing experience when it started raining gently while we were in the water, and a rainbow stretched overhead (one of four we saw during the trip) on one side of the cove while the sun was setting on the other. Gorgeous.

Pali Lookout – this stop off of Route 61 (Pali Highway) between Kailua and Honolulu takes you through a bit of a rainforest and provides a wet, windy lookout over all of Windward Oahu.

Dole Plantation – We stopped here but it is VERY commercial, mainly tons and tons of mini shops within a large building. We had a pineapple smoothie and walked around the pineapple garden, which was interesting.

Haleiwa – we hit this part of the North Shore by driving up through the center of the island. Again, the ‘climate’ was different; it reminded us of Napa Valley a little. This little town has tons of unique shopping options. I got a beautiful, hand-painted sarong of excellent quality at Pineapple’s, a little boutique there. We had lunch at Jameson’s by the Sea which was not great. There were just a few fresh fish options with a market price of around $20, which, for lunch and for the setting, seemed a bit much. My seafood salad sandwich was $16 as it was. The setting was nice, though, across the road from a beach.

Other highlights:

Shave ice, wherever you can find it. We stopped at Keneke’s on the way back from Sandy Beach Park to Kailua

Leonard’s Bakery – this deserves all the recommendations and hype it gets. The malisades were delicious (and much bigger than I expected), and we picked up a loaf of Pao Doce for breakfast – delicious!

Ted’s Bakery Haupia Pie – We grabbed a slice from a market to have after lunch one day and it, too, merits the hype. One slice is plenty, though, as it gets a little sweet …

Buying fresh young coconut from a roadside stand – so refreshing!

Having pineapple nearly every day after walking into our rental and encountering the amazing smell from the pineapple our thoughtful ‘landlord’ had included in a lovely welcome basket of Hawaiian treats. We bought one for every day and cut it up to take to the beach. Heaven.

Finally, one of the craziest things of the trip at Heeia National Park … we pulled into a parking area and saw at least 50 feral cats and about 30 wild chickens, just hanging out! They were co-existing, eating some type of meal scatted around. It was so funny and weird!

We flew back to Raleigh on the red eye (again through Atlanta, and again a very pleasant flight) and got back yesterday around noon to SNOW! Quite a shock but oh well. It helps to jump-start the holiday spirit. Aloah, Hawaii, and mahalo for an excellent time.

Mentioned in this post
Lanikai Beach
Lanikai Beach
2,623 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kailua Beach Park
Kailua Beach Park
2,576 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Sandy Beach Park
Sandy Beach Park
318 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
North Shore
North Shore
1,040 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kamehameha Highway
Kamehameha Highway
61 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Banzai Pipeline
Banzai Pipeline
325 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waimea Bay
Waimea Bay
1,022 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Pali Highway
Pali Highway
63 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Dole Plantation
Dole Plantation
4,956 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Haleiwa
Haleiwa
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
NORTH CAROLINA
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report -- Final Part

Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Just curious where did you stay in Kailua?

We just go a few snowflakes here we live near Hickory but that's okay I don't care for snow I am warm weather gal.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,350 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report -- Final Part

We did not get any snowflakes here, but 61 degrees in Mililani this morning.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,773 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report -- Final Part

Thanks for the report, KDaph81. Going back to snow is quite a change!! Yes, as dusty says, it was cool here this morning. They are calling for snow in the next couple of days on the highest peaks of the Big Island. Hope we get a bit of rain.

Mentioned in this post
Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
48 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report -- Final Part

We stayed at the Suite Spot ... they have a listing on Trip Advisor, I believe. I highly recommend it.

There is still a light sprinkling of snow here in places that don't get any sun ... but I am originally from NE Ohio, so it's nice to see a few bits of snow down South around the holidays. (Although it's freezing, especially after being in Hawaii!)

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report -- Final Part

Enjoyed the report. I'm so glad you got to spend so much time at the beaches. I can't wait for the malasadas. We leave for paradise on the 19th.

MalibooNY

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,419 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report -- Final Part

Great report! Glad you were able to explore the island.

7. Re: Trip Report -- Final Part

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 08, 2011
;