We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much money do i need to take for a week?

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scranton...
3 posts
Save Topic
how much money do i need to take for a week?

i am going to hawaii in october of next year. so far no meals are included. at this moment i am going alone. i am trying to get a friend to go. so if i go alone, how much money should i take for a week. thankyou

john

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,943 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how much money do i need to take for a week?

It depends what all you want to see and do. What kind of places you like to eat. I often go solo and keep a pretty tight budget. I can get away with:

$5 breakfast

$7 lunch

$12-15 dinner

$15 beer, wine, or cocktails

total: $50usd mimimum per day

BUT that's eating at casual places, buying cocktail fixings from the ABC Stores, snacks and some meals from the Food Pantry grocery store or St Germaine's bakery.

You could just as easily spend:

$15 breakfast

$20 lunch

$50 dinner

$15 beer, wine, or cocktails

total: $100+ per day

Then depends what you are going to do for entertainment. Mostly I ride The Bus around, go to the beach, hang out at the hotel pool, look for free entertainment and events. So I spend almost nothing on activities.

But you could spend a bundle if you want to do helicopter rides, surf lessons, catamaran sunset cruises, luau, etc.

hope that helps. aloha, suze

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,939 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how much money do i need to take for a week?

It all depends on you ... and I am assuming that you are not including your hotel - yes?

Think transportation -- TheBus, perhaps a tour or two, maybe a cab. Do you plan to rent a car for all/part of your trip?

Food -- I could easily go under $50 a day, but -- for many, alcohol is the budget buster.

Souvenirs??

Activities -- as Suze said, catamaran rides, tours, shows, museum entry fees.

I would start with a budget of $100 to $125 per day and that would even out within the week. But, again -- spending is something you control. We can only share our experiences.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,237 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how much money do i need to take for a week?

No need to carry lots of cash; use your credit card and hit an ATM if needed. You'll only need cash for tips and if you plan to hit the swap meet.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
4,903 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how much money do i need to take for a week?

What do you mean "so far no meals are included"?

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,474 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how much money do i need to take for a week?

"What do you mean "so far no meals are included"?"

I took it to mean his hotel has not been booked as yet. The Hyatt, where we stay, has a buffet breakfast included in the price. Perhaps he's looking also for Manager's Cocktail reception, like Embassy Suites have. Some people make meals out of those appetizers.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
4,903 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how much money do i need to take for a week?

Ok, that makes sense. I thought maybe he was one of those travelers who vacation in Mexico and can't understand why there are no all inclusive resorts in Hawaii.

7. Re: how much money do i need to take for a week?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, June 04, 2011