We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summarised TR and tips

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,241 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Summarised TR and tips

My partner and I, in our late 20s and early 30s, went on a 11 days trip to Honolulu, returning yesterday. I am jetlagged of course. It took me nearly 5 days to kick the jetlag in Hawaii, whereas it took my partner 2 days.

We did a lot of walking as well as shopping and dining. I only gained 1.5kg (unlike our P&O cruise, where I gained 5kg...oh my lol)

We flew with Virgin Blue Brisbane to Sydney, then Hawaiian Airlines Sydney to Honolulu return. Also flew with Hawaiian Airlines for the Big Island - Grand Circle Island tour. Virgin Blue was great as always. It was our first time flying with Hawaiian Airlines - comfy seats, complimentary food and beverages as well as entertainment. Cute mini pillow and blankets lol Our Hawaii flight had a duration of 9 hours. The flight back to Sydney had a duration of 10 hours. We felt the flight back was quicker.

We stayed at Castle Ocean Hotel Resort for an average of $86 a night. It is a 2 blocks walk from the beach and close to bus and trolley stops. The bed was decent, room had a balcony (lanai) to enjoy sunrise and sunsets and also had a fridge. We didn’t opt for a kitchenette, but found we didn’t really need one. There were cheap eats closeby.

The weather was lovely - apart from a few hot days, it was mostly cloudy and warm, which is what I was hoping for :) There was some drizzle on some occasions, which only lasted a minute or two. But apart from that, we had lovely weather.

We had our itinerary planned out, however we decided to take it one day at a time, apart from the pre-arranged tours.

A summarised TR and tips as below:

Shopping

Plenty of sales and discounts around - depending on what you are looking for. We bought back 10kg worth of shopping lol I love bargains but don’t normally shop until I drop :)

Waikele Outlets, also shopping centre - shopping at these two centres can take a good 5-7 hours. I recommend shopping here, one day would be sufficient.

Kahlia Mall - this is a small shopping centre, but worth going to if you love shopping :)

Ala Moana - great shopping heaven!! It took us 1 1/2 days to have a proper browse at the shopping centre. If you are a shopper, you may need to allow a few days to shop here :)

ABC stores - aren’t the ABC stores great?? Cheap alcohol, souvenirs, snacks! We went to as least a couple ABC stores a day :)

International Market Place/Waikiki shopping plaza and Royal Hawaiian centre - ok for an evening stroll

Aloha Stadium Swap Meet - the souvenirs here are definitely cheap, some are cheaper than found in ABC stores and other Hawaiian souvenir shops, ie two keyrings for $1 - it can take a good 2 hours to go around in one loop.

Guess - stores at Ala Moana, Waikiki, Waikele outlets, accessories also found at Macy’s stores. There is a huge variety of handbags and wallets at each Guess store/Macy’s as well as clearance items. Ala Moana, Waikiki Shopping Plaza and Macy’s has wallets from $38, bags from $58; wallets at Waikele are from $24.95 (unless you have a voucher or do the buy 1 get 50% off the second item), handbags prices were similar to those at Ala Moana and Waikiki Shopping Plaza.

I got 4 wallets - 2 from the outlets (buy 1 get 50% off the second item, so basically $16 each before tax!), 1 from Macy’s for $30 with the 10% discount and 1 from Waikiki Shopping Plaza at $38. I couldn’t find a handbag that I liked. There was one in clearance at Macy’s, $110 down to $49 that caught my eye, however it was pink. They had none left in black.

Old Navy - the store at Waikele Shopping centre had more of a variety of decent clothes at a lower price than at Ala Moana, ie skirts from $6.99.

Victoria’s Secret - There was a 7 underpants for $25 special the weekend we went to Ala Moana. A huge variety of styles to choose from. The store and changing room is awesome. The sales assistant stopped me from taking photos of the changing room…bummer - maybe next time?? :)

Walmart - good for souvenirs, especially shirts - similar prices to ABC stores. $2 underwear!!!

Ross Dress for Less - plenty of clothes and bargains to be found. Hardly found any nice clothes in our sizes - although my partner got a Maui & sons shorts worth $42, only $15.99 at the store.

Longs Drugs Store - Longs Drugs at Ala Moana and Kahlia Mall are both good. Great and cheap makeup for anyone who loves makeup - unfortunately I don’t wear makeup, so I went browsing for mum :) I got Covergirl lipstick for $5.47, normally $15 here as well as some liquid foundation makeup, normally $25, only $15 at Longs Drugs.

Dining - to name a few favourites

Wolfgang - delicious pizza for $10, great and filling for 2 people.

Crepe House - light crepes at average $5.

Cheesecake factory - we dined here a few times for lunch and a couple times for dinner. Tried 3 different cheesecakes - found the White Chocolate Raspberry and Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake delicious!! The Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Cheesecake we found to be a tad rich and filling. We weren’t able to eat it all! I tried the Lemon Chicken with mashed potatoes and vegetables and was only able to eat a third of it lol if you do go at lunchtime, do go for the lunch specials or an entrée.

Marriott Beach hotel - we went to the buffet here a couple times (early bird specials). (should try Jimmy's Beachcomber buffet and other buffets next time)

We had planned on going to Tiki Bar and Grill and Lulu’s, however because we did not make reservations beforehand, the wait was more than 1 1/2 hours. I was not willing to wait that long. Next time, next time…

Malasadas at Leonard’s Bakery/van - so yummy! One malasada would fill you right up. From 0.80c before tax.

Shave ice - didn’t get to try Waiola Shave Ice, but did try the shave ice at the outlets and Aloha stadium flea market & found the shave ice to be yummy, especially the one at the outlets!

Subway - healthy alternative and is only $5+ for a foot long! They have flatbread which is yummy especially toasted.

ABC store - great snacks and cereals available (always stocked up on fruit, especially pineapple!). My partner liked the fact that Coke was only 0.75c before tax lol $2.99 for an inflatable beach bed lounge and $3.99 for a beach mat.

Tours

North Shore Tour with Oahu Nature Tours - we thought this was a fantastic and enjoyable 6 hours tour. We saw the Ko’olau Mountains, Byodo Temple, Laie Point, Kahuku, surfing beaches, Hale O Lono heiau in Waimea Valley, Turtle Beach, Haleiwa and Dole Plantation. Definitely worth the money. We got 15% off booking online.

Pearl Harbour, Arizona Memorial and Punchbowl tour with Polynesian Adventure Tours - great way of seeing the above 3 places. The tour also went past Lolani Palace, Kawaiahao Church, Mssion Houses Museum and King Kamehameha the Great statue. Worth going to if you have time, whether you get there by car, taxi, bus or tour.

Big Island - Grand Circle Island tour with Roberts Hawaii tours - we thought this to be a fantastic tour. Although it is a full day itinerary, we felt it was sufficient time to see the island as well as the volcano. The Volcano Tour and Lava walk one day tour would have been interesting I think, especially doing the lava walk. My partner would like to go back to the Big Island and check out the volcano in hope to see it erupting or do the lava walk. It depends how much time you have to explore Big Island.

Public Transport

The Bus - used The Bus to get to Kahala Shopping Mall - wanted to take the trolley but felt The Bus was a cheaper alternative at $2.50.

Trolley - always caught the first pink shopping trolley to Ala Moana - $2 one way - only took 10-15 minutes each trip. There’s also a free Hilo Hattie shuttle available

VIP Trans airport shuttle and Aloha stadium flea market shuttle - fantastic service, always on time.

PG Lover - $5 one way to and from Waikele Outlets - don’t forget to pre-book your return trip to Waikiki upon arrival at the outlets.

Think that sums it up :)

We didn’t get to go hiking at Diamond Heads, snorkelling at Lanikai Beach, browse Army Museum or go on a sail. We would like to do these things on our next trip, also check out Pearlridge Shopping Mall.

Edited: 2:42 am, November 25, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Oahu Grand Circle Island Tour
Oahu Grand Circle Island...
448 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,750 Reviews
Oahu, HI
International Market Place
International Market...
387 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki Shopping Plaza
Waikiki Shopping Plaza
130 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Aloha Stadium
Aloha Stadium
219 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Wolfgang's Steakhouse
Wolfgang's Steakhouse
1,867 Reviews
Oahu, HI
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,450 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Tiki's Grill & Bar
Tiki's Grill & Bar
3,967 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waiola Shave Ice
Waiola Shave Ice
147 Reviews
Oahu, HI
North Shore
North Shore
1,054 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu Nature Tours
Oahu Nature Tours
881 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kahuku
Kahuku
Oahu, HI
Waimea Valley
Waimea Valley
2,111 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Haleiwa
Haleiwa
Oahu, HI
Dole Plantation
Dole Plantation
5,032 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Roberts Hawaii
Roberts Hawaii
1,279 Reviews
Oahu, HI
The Kahala Hotel & Resort
The Kahala Hotel & Resort
3,115 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Lanikai Beach
Lanikai Beach
2,644 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,241 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summarised TR and tips

We got to see Hawaii Five-o filming on Waikiki beach on Monday. We didn't see Australia's Sunrise TV crew or Robin Williams. Where were they hiding? LOL

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Waikiki Beach
Waikiki Beach
14,799 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
688 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summarised TR and tips

Great TR....thx for posting it! So, did you love Hawaii? Have lots of fun? Did you rent a car and get out of Waikiki? Every trip I go on there I promise myself I will get out of Waikiki but haven't managed to do it. I understand the rest of the island is beautiful too.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,241 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summarised TR and tips

Oops knew I forgot something - thanks for the reminder!

We had a lovely time. Hawaii is such a beautiful and laidback place. We are glad we extended our stay to 10 nights. We needed the time away :) We are sad to be back home.... I miss Guess shopping and of course the Cheesecake factory lol

We didn't hire a car. My partner didn't like the thought of driving on the wrong side of the road. After seeing Big Island and what the traffic is like, he is willing to drive around Big Island if we do go again.

The north shore is gorgeous - you should check it out if you haven't already! You can also get The Bus to the north shore if you have the will and patience to travel by bus.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,450 Reviews
Oahu, HI
South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summarised TR and tips

Welcome home to you! ;)

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip, and thanks for the awesome trip report. :)

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Summarised TR and tips

A nice report....and.....you used "paragraphs"!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,241 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Summarised TR and tips

Thanks guys.

beedoo747 - it's good to be home - not :P

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,241 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Summarised TR and tips

Knew I left out a couple shops.

Local Fever and Jeans Warehouse has cheap clothes. Local Fever is mainly for young women and has clothes starting from $4.99 if you love a bargain or two. They did not have much in my size, like here in Aussie but I had fun browsing the stores.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Summarised TR and tips

Welcome back js4rq!

How's the shopping? Did you manage to come home with excess luggagge? .... lol .....

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,241 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Summarised TR and tips

Thanks yodelia!! :) am still jetlagged. Thank god I don't have work until Monday! The weather is gloomy here in Brisbane - I might just laze all day in bed ;)

I loved shopping for bargains just as much as I loved the Cheesecake factory!! :D

No excess luggage - only bought home 10kg worth of shopping lol that's good enough for us anyhow ;) perhaps we should have stayed for the Black Friday sales lol up to 50% off!

Edited: 5:09 pm, November 25, 2010
Mentioned in this post
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,450 Reviews
Oahu, HI
NORTH CAROLINA
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Summarised TR and tips