We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Aussie travel insurance that covers car hire in Hawaii?

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
31 posts
21 reviews
26 helpful votes
Any Aussie travel insurance that covers car hire in Hawaii?

Im just wondering if there is any Australians that have taken out travel insurance that includes car hire insurance? I know in NZ we got one but i can't find one that covers USA.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
102 reviews
108 helpful votes
11. Re: Any Aussie travel insurance that covers car hire in Hawaii?

I always take out the full LDW when hiring in the US.

If Im not mistaken you are up for the full cost of repairs when renting in the US, not just the excess.

I thought that Queenslanders would be more insurance savvy after the recent events up there.

Check this link from Budget about LDW:

budget.com/budgetWeb/…LDW

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
19 reviews
16 helpful votes
12. Re: Any Aussie travel insurance that covers car hire in Hawaii?

"I thought that Queenslanders would be more insurance savvy after the recent events up there." - that was a pretty low blow ... probably a little unnecessary given that you don't know the poster's situation.

Basically, we are covered for squat in the US so you need to suck it up and pay for the extra insurances with the rental company.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
282 posts
123 reviews
82 helpful votes
13. Re: Any Aussie travel insurance that covers car hire in Hawaii?

I do think it's hard for Australians to understand, as home in Oz, the rental car is covered, and you pay extra, or use your included credit card/travel insurance for the excess. In the US the car is not covered at all. It appears some peoples own car insurance will cover it. However the Rental companies seen to try to include some insurances that are not necessary- like personal accident cover, which would be covered by you travel insurance- if you have it.

Hope thats all as clear as mud.

Cheers

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
102 reviews
108 helpful votes
14. Re: Any Aussie travel insurance that covers car hire in Hawaii?

Not a "low blow" at all. The recent insurance nightmare in QLD should put every Aussie on notice that it is something you should not take lightly!

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,987 posts
20 reviews
35 helpful votes
15. Re: Any Aussie travel insurance that covers car hire in Hawaii?

I usually ask the Car rental clerk to supply me with coverage so that "if I have an accident and the car is on top of al local, I can drop the keys on his forehead and get on the first plane home". Raises a few eyebrows, but they get the message.

Sydney
Level Contributor
499 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
16. Re: Any Aussie travel insurance that covers car hire in Hawaii?

Bump- some new aussies floating about may benefit from this thread

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
31 posts
21 reviews
26 helpful votes
17. Re: Any Aussie travel insurance that covers car hire in Hawaii?

Thanks so much for your response, i will defnitely do an online quote with them.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
31 posts
21 reviews
26 helpful votes
18. Re: Any Aussie travel insurance that covers car hire in Hawaii?

Speaking of insurances and the Queenlsands floods, we juat got our household insurance policy in for the next 12 months. I do live in QLD but we weren't affected by the floods and our policy has gone up DOUBLE!!!! From $300 to $700 and then did a ring around for quotes and it was the cheapest. That isnt even with contents. OUCH!!!

Australia.
Level Contributor
233 posts
48 reviews
30 helpful votes
19. Re: Any Aussie travel insurance that covers car hire in Hawaii?

Hi DJ,

This is the reality now of Householders Insurance throughout Australia. In North Qld, some insurer's have pulled out of that market altogether, the few that are prepared to underwrite policies there are quoting with 200% increases.

Here in the Hunter the companies are increasing renewal premiums by 50/60% in some cases. When you do a comparison with their opposition companies, they are more expensive again !

Prepare yourself for significant premium increases across the board, Commercial & Domestic policies both.

Stroudie

Sydney
Level Contributor
185 posts
3 reviews
7 helpful votes
20. Re: Any Aussie travel insurance that covers car hire in Hawaii?

G'day guys,

I'm looking into arranging car hire from here in Sydney for when i arrive in Waikiki in August, the quote i have received from traveljigsaw.com.a includes the following regarding insurance;

"Your Rental Includes

* Insurance ( - Collision Damage Waiver - Theft Protection - 3rd Party Liability - Supplementary Liability Insurance - Uninsured Motorist Protection )

....but does not include "* Supplementary Insurance to cover injuries to drivers &/or passengers "

Is the Insurance that's included sufficient? and if I was to take the Supplementary Insurance what this would costs?

What's been your experience regarding hiring a car and insurance.

cheers