We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report in progress - 25 Oct onwards

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report in progress - 25 Oct onwards

We're here in Honolulu and I fear I might forget all the awesome stuff if I don't write it down right away, so I'll add my days into this thread one at a time and more days when I have them. :)

We flew Jetstar, and we're staying at Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Day 1 coming up!

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Pillager, Minnesota
Level Contributor
166 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Trip report in progress - 25 Oct onwards

I am so enjoying your trip report. I've only been home a month and I want to go back so much!

DN had two of our pictures of Waimeha Beach blown up to 16X20 and they are now adorning our living room walls. Had to take down the autumn Lake Superior shots that have been there for years...Pretty but not Hawaii...

I loved the photographer's picture you posted too - beautiful !

Here I sit in MN and it's snowing/sleeting and we are expected to get about 10 inches before it's done.. sigh...

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
BKK
Level Contributor
608 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Trip report in progress - 25 Oct onwards

I love this part....."We had signed up for Hilton Honors after reading about it around this place. The lady at the Diamond HH desk called us over - when she found out we had two separate bookings and two separate rooms she demanded that my father return to the queue and check in with someone else. I was actually a bit shocked at how rude she was to him, she was sweet as pie to me and treated him like gum on her shoe.

After a few minutes she asked for a credit card. I wasn't going to give her my Visa debit and have them take a deposit off it, so I said I needed to get Dad's credit card. She then called him over and asked him for it. He actually refused to give it to her, saying "You didn't want me over here before and now you want me to give you my credit card? I don't think so." She said it was fine, she didn't need one, but the way she said it.. wow I thought these two were going to get into a punch up with me stuck in the middle."

Such fake people, I can't stand them. I stayed in Sheraton in HK and they were all nice to me until I needed there assistance.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Trip report in progress - 25 Oct onwards

Tanderra77 - we have google maps on our iphone/htc phone too, so you can check it on the go. ;) but the trouble with that if you are international roaming is that it can be somewhat expensive.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
258 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Trip report in progress - 25 Oct onwards

Ok thanks for that. Ill just wonder around the meet and see as much as i can. I saw on the swap meet site thats they have free shuttles to the meet from pearl harbour. Is that the one you used? or did you have another one you can recommend. We are staying in waikiki so to get to the shuttle we will still have to organize another lift.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Trip report in progress - 25 Oct onwards

We got Hawaii23 to take us to the swap meet. :) There are also other shuttle options like VIP which is a bit cheaper, too.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Trip report in progress - 25 Oct onwards

We went back to Round Table Pizza for lunch. I had the Polynesian Salad which involved pineapple, tomato, peanuts, bacon, one other thing I seem to have forgotten, and some tasty lettuce and other greens. I am not usually a fan of lettuce but this was very tasty.

On Wednesday afternoon I began to feel like I had a bit of a sore throat. We wanted to do some snorkeling or other water related activity but as I was starting to feel not so good we decided just to take a nap and have a rest before dinner.

The beds at the Hilton Hawaiian Village are so comfortable. I had a bit of a chill so I got in there and snuggled up for a bit, not really intending to sleep. There was some weird show on the teevee about some guy who goes around in a lot of leather exterminating pests but I am not 100% sure it was real as I drifted in and out for a fair while until it was bourbon time and we headed over to my parents room for a drink and to decide what to have for dinner.

I had this big craving for Sushi - we don't get a lot of sushi here on the South Coast of NSW and I had been reading up on all the great sushi on Oahu. In the Hilton Hawaiian Village not very far away from the ABC store we had found a place called Hatsuhana which was not one of the places I had been reading about but they had Alaskan crab sushi and was not very far to walk, so we went for it.

The other half chose teriyaki chicken, Dad had the butter fish, Mum chose spaghetti with seafood and yes I know, what kind of dodgy people am I related to who won't order sushi at a sushi restaurant??

I chose the Alaskan crab sushi and the California roll and both were fantastic, exactly what I felt like. However I did get to try a bit of everyone elses dinner and all the meals were great but the spaghetti was incredible - as much as I craved sushi once I tasted that I wished I had ordered it. Dad was not thrilled because his fish had bones but it was very tasty, enough so that he tried to eat around the bones.

After dinner we got a tub of watermelon from the ABC store and then people decided they wanted an icecream from Lapperts and my throat strongly agreed with that idea, so I got sorbet in a couple of flavors.

Early bedtime as we had the Pearl Harbour tour with Polynesian Adventure Tours booked for the next day.

Mentioned in this post
Round Table Pizza
Round Table Pizza
821 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Trip report in progress - 25 Oct onwards

I think somehow I have missed out our trip to Ala Moana where we visited Nordstroms because I was wearing my new Michael Kors pants when we did our Pearl Harbor tour. So just a quick overview of that. :)

During one of our trips to Ala Moana (I suspect we might have had one sometime on Wednesday after lunch at Round Table Pizza but before we had our nap time) we somehow found ourselves in Nordstroms.

My Mother does not love a fancy department store. It is totally irrational and I can't explain it, but who does not have something like that about their Mother? We had one back in Adelaide that she disliked called David Jones and often they would have a live piano player.

So the first thing we heard when we went into Nordstroms was what sounded like live piano music. Mum was like "If that is a real life person playing the piano, we are out of here!"

Lucky for us, we entered from the 3rd floor (we must have been to the Pacific Place Tea Garden again) which happened to be where the womens clothes were - and it was not possible to find out if the piano player was real right away.

Dad needed to visit the mens room and I felt like I wanted to wash my hands and the reason I mention this is because they had this hand wash in there that smelled of wild cherries.

Still sniffing my freshly scented hands, we then discovered the sale racks and shock of all shocks, there was Michael Kors on there! Being a big fan of his from Project Runway, my Mother and I embarked on a shopping spree of a kind rarely seen, in fact she even tried on clothes in the fitting room. OMG that never ever happens!!!!

We had a wonderful salesperson help us and I wish I knew her name because she was brilliant. It was one of the best afternoons of shopping ever, and much Michael Kors was purchased. I got pants and a top plus some NYDJ jeans and a dress and a few other items and my Mother left with several bags filled with goodness. In total we spent over $800US and everything was on the sale rack and between 30-50% off.

What I loved about the Michael Kors pants is the attention to detail - on the zippers and the metal buttons his name was engraved.

Then we went downstairs. The first thing that caught our eye on the next level was a handbag which was cobalt blue. It was possibly Versace or maybe Valentino. We all guessed at how much it might cost and then the other half went looking for the price ticket - it was over 2400US. Well it was very beautiful but not sure it was worth that many monies!

Then I found shoes - Manolo Blahnik and all the brands I've been reading about and hearing about but rarely seeing because we just don't get much of them in Australia, at least not at the stores I have access to. :( I went all deer in the headlights.. until the lights went out completely. The store had a short blackout. The piano player kept playing - so we knew now that it was a real person!

After our incredible shopping spree we went to find the taxi stand to go home and bask in the awesome glow of bargain shopping.

Edited: 4:43 am, November 21, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,750 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Pearl Harbor Tours
Pearl Harbor Tours
166 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Round Table Pizza
Round Table Pizza
821 Reviews
Oahu, HI
South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Trip report in progress - 25 Oct onwards

I forget exactly what time our pickup was for the Pearl Harbor tour but they were right on time and we got on a very empty bus which then proceeded to do a lap around Waikiki stopping at a few hotels and then stopping at a park near the zoo where some smaller buses dropped off a whole bunch of people to get on our bus. For some bizarre reason this seemed to take an incredibly long time.

Eventually we made it out to Pearl Harbor arriving about 10am and were given instructions to wait in a specific spot while our bus driver got the tickets so we could know what time our boat would leave. It turned out to be 11:30 and the bus driver suggested we watch the movie and wander the gift stores while we waited. There are two gift stores - one of them has a much bigger range than the other one which is the one near the Bowfin.

We spent a bit of time in the first gift store as the movie was already playing and therefore we would have to catch the 10:30 session. We bought sunscreen and frankly it is the best smelling sunscreen I have ever found in my entire life, it smells like bubblegum. Unfortunately it is also in the tiniest tube of sunscreen I have ever found, so sadly I have very little of it left.

We got some bottles of water from the snack store and then went to get seats for the movie. Just a note that will hopefully help future visitors, until they complete the renovations the cinema is actually outside. There is some shade but the seats we chose which were in the shade when the film started were no longer in the shade by the end of it, and it was very hot!

The movie is excellent, narrated by Stockard Channing who is one of my favourites. It gives you a true picture of what was going on at the time and I did not feel like it took sides or placed blame which if you think about it is quite an accomplishment.

By the end of the movie I had finished my bottle of water and needed to get out of the sun before I started to get crispy.

It was a beautiful sunny day and somehow we still had not purchased hats on this holiday. While the first gift store did not inspire me to purchase a hat, the second one had a great range of hats - air force, navy, marines, army, and many others. There were a lot of excellent designs to choose from and I picked an Air Force hat.

We then wandered down to the circle of contemplation where a ranger welcomed us and told us a bit about the tour we would be taking. We were invited to board the boat and so we did. I can't really say a lot about the Arizona memorial. It is a place to reflect and respect and it is something you do on the inside and not something easy to write about.

So after such a tour you would think that everyone would be very solemn and they were, at least until it was nearly time for the bus to leave at which point they ran for the toilets like crazy people to get in a massive queue.

Aha I thought.. I have a secret trick, I will not get caught up in that queue, I will go and find the other toilets (over near the snack shop) which will not have a queue of people. It did not have a queue of people however I had drunk that entire bottle of water so by the time I got out of there it was time for the bus to go, so we ran all the way back there and we were the last people to board the bus. I think my Mother wanted to strangle me.

The bus drove through Punchbowl National Cemetary and it looked like a place I would have liked to spend a little more time than a drive through - so that is a note for next time.

On the way back to Waikiki we fell asleep on the bus - maybe too much sun, maybe the effort of running, and by now I was starting to feel like I was getting a cold.

We then went to visit the statue of King Kamehameha which I have to say was an awesome statue. Loved all the gold! Then back to our hotel.

That afternoon we headed back to Ala Moana. I was feeling very not awesome by now. We got something to eat in the food court - I had cheesy fries from a sub place, that was really all that I felt like. Not long after that I tried to get some sinus medication from Longs - I wrote about that in a separate post -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k402834…

Surprisingly the person who most wanted to visit Ala Moana and the person who most suggested that we go there was my Dad. He really enjoyed it there - the open-ness of the shopping centre, all the different things to look at, the brands we don't usually see. Both he and my Mum got an Apple iPad from the Apple store there at Ala Moana on separate days.

It wasn't until I got back to Australia that I discovered the reasons why I got sick and also why we ran out of money after the swap meet - the other half's best friend arrived in Australia and he was staying at our place, and he leaves the toilet seat up which is a big no no in feng shui circles and for me where the toilet is situated means leaving the seat up affects health and money. :( I should have nailed that darn thing shut!

Thursday night after I successfully managed to get some pseudo ephedrine and was able to breathe like a human again, we went to Red Lobster. There was a huge queue outside and we had to wait about 20 minutes for a table but once we got inside we wondered why - there were spare tables all over the place.

Despite some not great reviews around the place the food was very awesome especially the garlic potato mash. They had some incredible drinks too.

I had the - Sunset Passion Colada - A classic, frozen Malibu coconut rum piña colada topped with a taste of strawberry. With my sore throat this thing was soo soothing.

We decided not to have starters but to definitely have dessert - we chose lobster and shrimp for the entree and the exact combination we had does not appear on the website so I can't tell you what it was.

For dessert Mum and I chose the Key Lime pie - it was everything I dreamed it could be and more. The other half chose the Warm Chocolate Chip Lava Cookie and he loved it. Dad decided not to have dessert. He is no fun! :)

I wish I could go back there right now for more of those drinks and the dessert. :) We don't really have chain restaurants like this or the cheesecake factory in Australia and maybe that is the reason we enjoyed it whereas people who can regularly go to a red lobster or cheesecake factory can compare it to other ones they have been to.

Back to the hotel and to bed for me - I did manage to get a decent sleep thankfully. :)

Mentioned in this post
Pearl Harbor Tours
Pearl Harbor Tours
166 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,750 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Red Lobster
Red Lobster
932 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Trip report in progress - 25 Oct onwards

Your reports are fantastic -- so detailed, and I appreciate that.

I was puzzled by the tour to Pearl Harbor and the time it took - picking people up etc. I've always got The Bus there, and some people have said ti takes too long -- maybe it takes as long as yours did with the waiting? But I'm not complaining for $2.50.

I too love Red Lobster and recommend that and the Cheesecake Factory to others -- I've even been to some on the mainland USA as I love it so much.

I put on a kilo just listening to the sizzling noise on the Red Lobster website.

Thanks again ...

Mentioned in this post
Pearl Harbor Tours
Pearl Harbor Tours
166 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Red Lobster
Red Lobster
932 Reviews
Oahu, HI
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,450 Reviews
Oahu, HI
SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
735 posts
Save Reply
40. Re: Trip report in progress - 25 Oct onwards

Great TR so far! I can't wait to read more.

And you're not imagining - the show you were watching is "Billy the Exterminator", an odd show about a leather spiked redneck exterminator, lol. It's worth a chuckle I suppose.