We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report in progress - 25 Oct onwards

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
93 reviews
50 helpful votes
Trip report in progress - 25 Oct onwards

We're here in Honolulu and I fear I might forget all the awesome stuff if I don't write it down right away, so I'll add my days into this thread one at a time and more days when I have them. :)

We flew Jetstar, and we're staying at Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Day 1 coming up!

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
93 reviews
50 helpful votes
1. Re: Trip report in progress - 25 Oct onwards

Part One - The flight and getting to the hotel.

We arrived at Park'n'fly after a drive up from the South Coast at about 2pm, and we were at Sydney Airport by 2:20, waiting to check in at Jetstar. Check in does not open till 3pm and though they were checking in a flight for Bali they told us we had to wait. We wanted to find out if there were any spare seats in Starclass because we were travelling with my parents and they booked starclass and tried to book us in there as well but couldn't get any seats at that time.

The Bali service desk people told us there were seats but they would not help us upgrade - she said the Honolulu check in people would be upset. So we waited the 30 minutes and then one of the Hololulu people rudely told us we would have to wait another 30 minutes, but then my Dad found someone who would actually help us right away and we managed to get the upgrade for $299 per person.

The rude person did apologise afterwards and offered up some lame excuse but by that time we'd built the bridge and got over it.

Went through customs and into the Qantas business club area, It was really busy in there and there was a team of rowers - probably very famous in the rowing world but I had no idea who they were. We sat there and had some coffee (the mens had alcohol) and some snacks - I made the other half a sandwich from the buffet thingy. The teevee had sky news on with captions and it was pretty amusing to see how many mis-spellings and completely wrong words got typed in - as it must be done live.

In the duty free I was a little disappointed at the lack of range of liqueurs. I was hoping that they might have some of the rarer forms of the Suntory liqueurs like the strawberry, banana and mango flavors but the only one they had was melon. I think what was available alcohol wise was mostly what was on the Sydney website for duty free (it is not downtown duty free anymore, I can't remember the new name of it). I'll grab some Midori on the way back.

So for anyone travelling Jetstar but going economy, there is quite a bit of food available in the terminal you can take with you on the plane. For me it would be Sushi and that was what I had planned to get, but lucky me in Starclass was told by my parents I would not need any food. And they were right!.

We were leaving from gate 8. When we got about halfway there, two of the gates (8&9) were blocked off by security and they were only letting a Qantas flight through to gate 9. Not sure why as that flight was to Singapore and London, and from what I could gather this security measure was to do with travelling to the US. We sat down and got ready to settle in for a wait, and the minute I opened my book they decided to let Jetstar through. We had to show our passport and boarding pass.

We got to the gate and waited about 15 more minutes, then we were invited to board. We were almost first on the plane, and got settled in quickly so everyone could stream onto the plane. It seemed like a never ending amount of people. While I was waiting I made me a lovely playlist on my Ipod of soothing hopefully get to sleep music. Someone about three seats over from me decided to spend their waiting time calling everyone they have ever known on their mobile to tell them they were on the plane - until the stewardess spotted him and asked him to turn it off, and then he had the cheek to argue with her!

My parents were on the other side of the plane from us, one row back. Sitting next to them in the middle of the plane was a couple with a baby. Yes, you can guess how that story ended. Not especially well. But we'll get to that.

Dinner was a choice of chicken stirfry, lamb casserole or I think salmon. We went the chicken and it was awesome. It had a little salad of cous cous and chick peas on the side which was incredible, also some bread and macadamia nuts. After clearing away the dinner plates, they offered us a choice of dessert - lime and vanilla cheesecake or cheese and crackers. The cheesecake was brilliant.

So about this time I was asked if I wanted an entertainment unit and I said no because I wanted to sleep. I did see that Twilight Eclipse was one of the movies and I'd already seen that but wouldn't have minded watching it again.

Four hours later, after every attempt to sleep was ruined by a screaming baby just as I was about to nod off, frustration set in. I went looking for a stewardess to get a unit, and I watched Twilight instead of continuing to try and sleep.

Breakfast was a great croissant with egg, bacon and tomato, I would not have thought of putting those things into a croissant but I will from now on!

We arrived, got through customs, got in touch with Mark from Hawaii23 and he was outside waiting, so we went right out and every good thing people have said about Mark is 100% spot on. He also gave us a great tip on where to get a local sim card for our phone which was fantastic - and right next to Puka Dog. :)

I'm going to put a pause in here - it is bedtime and we have Pearl Harbor tomorrow, so I need to log off and catch some shut eye. But coming up - international marketplace, Waikele premium outlets, Ala Moana, the swap meet, Round Table Pizza, Lapperts, The Cheesecake Factory, Hatsuhana, and more. Plus a story about the most snooty check in lady ever.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
22 reviews
17 helpful votes
2. Re: Trip report in progress - 25 Oct onwards

Thanks for that ... looking forward to all the rest.

Tell me one thing tho, how did they get the screaming baby to stop so you could sleep?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
23 posts
3. Re: Trip report in progress - 25 Oct onwards

If your looking to have another meal at HHV, try CJ's Deli. Their food is excellent. Best pastrami sandwich, outside of New York, IMO.

They also have a very good breakfast. Portions are good size, and price is reasonable compared to other restaurants in the village.

We are getting ready for our trip now, can almost smell the waffle cones from Lapperts!

Enjoy your trip. Can't wait to hear about the snooty lady! Lol

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
93 reviews
50 helpful votes
4. Re: Trip report in progress - 25 Oct onwards

Eaglemaniac - Sadly they did not get the screaming baby to stop - every 30-45 minutes, it would start screaming for about 10-15 minutes. They would get up with it and walk around the cabin, so everyone could share the joy of screaming baby. They'd finally get it to stop and then plonk it down in the seat (it had a seat to itself - in star class!) and as soon as they put it down it would start up again, or for fun maybe wait 10-15 minutes and then start up again.

Ziggy711 - we had breakfast there this morning. ;) It was great!

Shelly Beach...
Level Contributor
270 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Trip report in progress - 25 Oct onwards

Hi beedoo747 I am enjoying reading your report. Can you give me some more info about the sim card. I will be there in 8 days so this would be really useful to know. Cheers, Killarney

sydney australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
6. Re: Trip report in progress - 25 Oct onwards

Hi Beedoo,

I am enjoying your trip report , love the detail and am looking forward to the next instalment.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
93 reviews
50 helpful votes
7. Re: Trip report in progress - 25 Oct onwards

The sim card was available from a place next to Puka Dog. It is called Hoku Wireless - it is at 3506 Waialae Ave. Unlimited data was important to us, so it ended up costing us about $100 with the activation fee and tax, but it meant we could use google maps and all the Hawaii apps we downloaded for our phones with coupons, etc. I believe it included unlimited calls and sms to US phones, and some credit to call back to Australia.

We used it a lot, so it was worth it to us. :) There were cheaper options for the phone but they all had data limits.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
93 reviews
50 helpful votes
8. Re: Trip report in progress - 25 Oct onwards

So going back over my initial trip report I realise I missed something fairly important - American bathrooms.

It was lucky that my mother warned me before I went in there, or else I would have never worked out that the toilets are self flushing. Sure, we've seen sensor activated taps here, but that was the first time I have ever seen a self flushing toilet. And that is not all - there is so much water in the bowl I expected to see goldfish swimming around in there!

So for those going for the first time, now this will not be a surprise to you. Some of the toilets flush soon after you get up, some will not flush themselves until you actually leave the cubicle. There are some about the place where you have to flush it yourself, and if you have become used to the auto flush you might walk out expecting it to fix itself and a non-flushed toilet will be an unpleasant surprise for the next person.

We just got home so I have plenty of time to write my trip reports and will continue on with them tomorrow, it has been a very long day. :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
22 reviews
17 helpful votes
9. Re: Trip report in progress - 25 Oct onwards

That's funny ....I remember the flushing loos -- what a shock it is the first time!

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
20 reviews
35 helpful votes
10. Re: Trip report in progress - 25 Oct onwards

beedoo747, You have Harleynutluck! I thought I was the only one able to scare a baby for 10hrs straight. Haha! Good tip on the sim. Thanks. Were your phones "unlocked"?

Yep, the fishbowls were certainly a talking point on our first visit too. Especially interesting if you're a "wriggler". The wife's sister moved a little bit and Yikes! The person that set the proximity sensor adjustment must have been a practical joker.