We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ala Moana Shopping Center

perth
Level Contributor
388 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Ala Moana Shopping Center

Hi, We will be staying at the Beachcomber, and have read about the Ala Moana Shopping Center,is this close by to the Beachcomber, can we walk there?

Also the Beachcomber is on top of Maceys, how does this compare to the Ala Moana Shopping Center?

Any other good tips for shopping as well,easy to get too.

Thanks for any ideas,advise

Mentioned in this post
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,753 Reviews
Oahu, HI
laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,561 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ala Moana Shopping Center

You can walk it but its a little far.

Here is the deal, the pink trolley goes to Ala Moana for $2. Lots of places offer free trolly rides if you buy something, they are all for the pink trolley that just goes to ala moana. There use to be a ala moana bus, but now they have the trolly. Regular city bus also works

Mentioned in this post
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,753 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
11,318 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ala Moana Shopping Center

It is about 1.5 miles from the Beachcomber to Ala Moana Center...

A flat and safe walk along sidewalks. It takes about 20 to 30 minutes to stroll there depending upon your speed and luck with the traffic lights.

But, it would be a pain to hoof it back with a bunch of packages. So you might want to consider taking the bus on your return. There is a stop in the rear of the mall on ground level which says "Waikiki", and a bunch of routes stop there before heading into the District.

The Macy's at Ala Moana is much, much bigger than the one in Waikiki, with a more diverse selection.

As to other shopping, your hotel is in the absolute heart of the Waikiki retail area, totally surrounded by stores of all types. Kalakaua Avenue is now considered among America's leading shopping streets, and undless you are staying a month you won't have time to visit them all.

Edited: 8:36 pm, October 01, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Ala Moana Center
Ala Moana Center
2,635 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,753 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,880 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ala Moana Shopping Center

Ala Moana is such a huge mall I would not walk there since you'll do plenty of walking once you get there.

It has some good restaurants, a great food court, a Japanese department store (Shirokiya) that has a food hall and there is also a great grocery store there (Foodland) if you want to stock up on snacks and water, beer, wine, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,753 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Foodland
Foodland
242 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ala Moana Shopping Center

I've walked from the Ala Moana shops to the Beachcomber area a few times, but it's not the thing you'd do IF the object of the exercise is to just shop. Although it's a nice walk, it's a bit too far if you're carrying spoils of shop-battle. Just catch a bus or a trolley. Cheaper than a soft drink.

The Macey's under the Beachcomber is a smaller version with a limited range, but does feature a fair amount of women's war paint, frilly bits & such. I don't think I'd actually get off the 1st floor if I stayed at the Beachcomber. Jummy's margaritas would be the death of me

Behind the Ala Moana Centre there is a store called "Ross", which the wife dives into for clothes bargains. I went there with her once and left her to it. The floor plan is like a charity sorting house so I took a soothing walk back to Waikiki central. Guess I'm not a shopper.

A great feature of the Ala Moana Centre, is the man creche' on the rooftop. It's across from Bubba Gumps and is hidden under a sign saying Maitai Bar. Good concept. Ladies, is your man bored or driving you crazy in the shops? Drop him in and they'll mind him for you. All you need to do is leave them some money to cover his refreshments.

They have bar stool bonding sessions, football & UFC training shows on the big screens, rock music appreciation courses and a variety of chilled, flavourful sedatives to ease his separation anxieties. The most popular is simply called "beer", although others diluted with tropical juice are also popular. The trained caregivers (identifiable by their colourful sarongs, good looks and long legs) will look after your man whilst in the creche'. All for the price of tips. Rest assured that as long as the money lasts, he won't wander out into shopper traffic and suffer mental trauma..

Edited: 9:04 pm, October 01, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,753 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ala Moana Shopping Center

We stayed at the Beachcomber last year and have booked again for 8 nights in March -- we love the location.

Macy's downstairs isn't as big as the one at Ala Moana. There is also one at Kahala Mall and the Windward Mall.

We walked there and we got The Bus and the Beachcomber will give you a pass for the pink trolley for free. But when we went to get on it, it was packed... both ways ...

The Bus to Ala Moana is behind the hotel on Kuhio Avenue, and that's easy.

If you have lots of shopping, why not get a cab back. It doesn't cost much.

Mentioned in this post
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,753 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kahala Mall
Kahala Mall
393 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kuhio Beach
Kuhio Beach
496 Reviews
Oahu, HI
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
47,258 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ala Moana Shopping Center

The Macy's on Kalakaua is teeny. The real one is in the Ala Moana Shopping Center. Skip the trolley. Usually packed, hot and slow. Instead, just walk up to Kuhio and take the bus. Cheap, short ride.

I like to grab a cab for the ride back.

Note that there is at least one other active post on shopping right now and tons that you can do a search for.

Mentioned in this post
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,753 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kuhio Beach
Kuhio Beach
496 Reviews
Oahu, HI
perth
Level Contributor
388 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ala Moana Shopping Center

Thanks everyone for your replies, i was just trying to get some idea about my surroundings, it sounds like the shopping is great for us Aussies,makeup,clothing is on my agenda,it seems to be cheaper than at home, and i'm sure hubby will be happy with the Maitai Bar,lol,

Thanks again

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ala Moana Shopping Center

And don't forget the Cheesecake Factory opposite -- if you haven't been before. Aussies love it.

Have a look at their website and check out the menu before you go -- it's huge!

www.thecheesecakefactory.com

Also, if you look on Google Maps, you'll get an idea of your surroundings.

Mentioned in this post
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,459 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ala Moana Shopping Center

hey

Im in paradise right now,,DONT WALK,,we did the other day and almost killed us NEVER EVER AGAIN,,unless you are super super fit ..

(bugger working the weight off its to dam hot)

ok Ive been to 3 macys,,and all 3 had heaps different stuff on the sales rack

dont forget footlocker for shoes half the price compared to home (nike etc).

Just catch the bus,,and yeah catch a cab back if your a family..

great asian food at the food court

we liked the one at kahala more teen stuuf there?

everything daughter brought was $10,,roxy etc(surf stuff)

its a nice mall if you have the time worth going there has piture theatre there if kids want to see a new realese movie.

catch a 22/23 bus there not long at all.

get your makeup from longs drug store, or wallmart,,(revlon etc)and macys for mac etc

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ala Moana Shopping Center

your from perth you will so love the shopping,,no offence but perth doesnt have the greatest shopping(IMO)so you will love it. LOL

oh and if you drink,,you will be doing lots of that,,half price all the grog LOL