We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on tipping

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sydney
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
advice on tipping

Hi peps,

Do you tip everyone?

we have already organised and pay for airport transfers - do we tip them? or any other organised transfers?

do we tip the hotel front desk?

do we tip everytime we buy a round of drinks?

correct me if im wrong, we tip taxi drivers, we tip anywhere we eat food......

i don't know why im acting so dumb, its been 6 years since ive been to the states and i can't remember what to do.....

LYON, France
Level Contributor
89 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on tipping

I also wondered if we had to tip for take-out...

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,270 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on tipping

We tipped our Limo driver for transportation to our hotel. We tip taxi drivers. We tipped the bell boy who took our luggage to our room, usually $1-2 per bag. We did not tip the hotel front desk at check in. Our room arrangements were made in advance, she just took our credit card for an imprint, and handed us our key packets.

We run a tab for our drinks, and tip at the end. We tip everywhere we dine. If we have Starbucks, or Shave Ice, we throw our change in the tip jars. That might be 25 cents or up to a dollar. Some will say you don't have to tip, but these employees were working hard and always had a line waiting for service.

We also tip the hotel maid daily and leave the currency on the pillow where there is no doubt it's meant for her.

sydney
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on tipping

excellent, thankyou.

i assume most of those tips are $1-$5 each?

if you tip at the end of the night with your bar tab, how much do you tip?

thanks

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
456 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice on tipping

Hi, I'm a fellow aussie who also has been to the US & can't remember much about tipping, but that was 21 years ago.

Just click on the Travel guide on the left hand side of this page & then click on the tipping & etiquette section for overseas travellers.

You should find everything you need to know there.

I have written it down on a small piece of paper & will keep it in my handbag.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: advice on tipping

My brother in law/nephew always tip at least 20%, which is waaaay tooo much. And we never leave anything in a jar on a counter, we do however tip the guys who wash our cars. {:"}

LYON, France
Level Contributor
89 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice on tipping

I read that you also have to tip for valet parking ? You are already paying $20, and still have to ad a few dollars...

When I see the rates of some hotels, I wonder were the money is going if the staff is so badly paid !

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,223 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice on tipping

We always tip the valet guys when leaving car or picking up daily, also maids, daily.

No, you do not tip fast food places.

California
Level Contributor
573 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advice on tipping

We wait until the end of our stay to tip the maids. Some people like to tip daily as they believe it will ensure better service. I have not found this to be the case. If you wait until just before you leave, make sure that it won't be the regular maids day off. They normally will tell you. You won't need to ask.

Also, some fast food places will have a "tip jar" on the counter. Some people don't believe in tipping for fast food however, it's up to you.

I've never heard of tipping the front desk clerks, the concierge yes (if he gives you advice) . The shuttle and taxi drivers will expect a tip based on the number of people and luggage.

Have a wonderful time!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,310 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: advice on tipping

There are many, many good posts on tipping. Please do a search!

<<we have already organised and pay for airport transfers - do we tip them? or any other organised transfers?>> If you are talking about a shuttle bus driver ... a $5 tip would be OK. Not required.

<<do we tip the hotel front desk?>> No.

<<do we tip everytime we buy a round of drinks?>> Tip when you get the bill ... depending on quality of service. Usually 15% (more or less).

<<correct me if im wrong, we tip taxi drivers, we tip anywhere we eat food......>> Again, you can leave cash on the table, but most of us use credit/debit cards and add the tip there. 15% is the norm. No need to be precise. 20% is not uncommon. It depends on the service quality ... and how much service you needed. Taxi drivers - again - quality. We have had great ones who answered questions, pointed out the sites ... and they got good tips. Then -- we have had taxi drivers who completely ignored us and chatted constantly on their cell phone. Unfortunately, that seems to be more and more common. They don't get tips from me!

Fast food -- no tip is required. Some throw the extra change in the jar at the cash register.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,270 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: advice on tipping

"I read that you also have to tip for valet parking ? You are already paying $20, and still have to ad a few dollars... "

My sons were valets for hotels while in college. The normal tip is $2 when they bring the car to you from the storage garage. Nothing when you return to the hotel. The tipping guide says from $2-$5. The valet has to have knowledge of where restaurants are, what freeways to take to arrive at a certain museum, beach, load luggage in your car if you are checking out, and give you directions back to the airport.

The hotel parking fee has nothing to do with the valets. It's for the expensive resort property that hold their garages. I think it's high, our Hyatt hotel is $33 a day, but we are vacationing in a resort city.

As for "fast food", we don't tip the McDonalds drive through, but some of the Mom and Pop places that cook the food, we drop our change in the tip jar too.