We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help for an Aussie

adelaide
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
help for an Aussie

Hi We will be in Honolulu in Sept. Could anyone help regarding tipping, who, and how much. Also the clothes sizes what size is a Aussie 16 over there. We are staying at the Pacific Beach Hotel, how far is it from the shops.. thanks for any help..

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
47,293 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: help for an Aussie

There are numerous, long threads about tipping, so please do a search. Bottom line: we agree on very little - with a few exceptions: restaurants (sit down) - tip according to good service level, but usually runs about 15%. You don't tip bus drivers. Bellman who drag your bags to the room - $1 a bag. Hotel maids -- some folks tip them others don't.

Take the bus to the Ala Moana Shopping Center. MUCH larger Macy's than the one on Kalakaua.

Mentioned in this post
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,750 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: help for an Aussie

A size 16 Aus is a size 14 US.

adelaide
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: help for an Aussie

Thanks everyone for your help it has cleared up a few things for me, I was worried about fast food places if you were supposed to tip, but seems not, how about if you go for a coffee and cake?,

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: help for an Aussie

If service is provided, reward good service. I don't reward obnoxious or incompetent service, but if the service staff and/or the meal was above expectation, I'll mirror it with an exceptional tip.

eg: We'd been to a popular Lahaina seafood restaurant on Maui in '05. '07 and again last Easter. The previous 2 visits had been fantastic experiences, with the service staff doing an exceptional job, even though the place was very busy. Gave about a 25% tip and thanked them for a great evening.

Last Easter, we arrived at the same restaurant around 5.30. Only 4 other tables were occupied. It was immediately obvious that the server was totally disinterested in her job that evening. She forgot the order for one appetiser completely, got one entree wrong and forgot the order for a full round of drinks. We got tired of waiting for the coffee order and decided to go elsewhere for a few more drinks.

I checked the bill to make sure we hadn't been charged for the missing items and to make sure they hadn't added an automatic gratuity. No tip for her and never returning. There's too many choices and we just vote with our feet.

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Seattle
Level Contributor
49,607 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: help for an Aussie

If you are seated somewhere and a server brings you your food or drink, you tip.

If you order at a counter, pick up your own food, take it to a table or out of the restaurant yourself (food courts or fast food), you don't tip.

suze :)

16. Re: help for an Aussie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 22, 2011